October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good - Ghostbusters Boardgame?

More
12 Feb 2015 12:35 #197545 by Colorcrayons

VonTush wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: Sure, the licensing has made them a lot of quick money from consumers seeing a big name on a board game and buying it.

So what? Ever heard of success not exactly equating to merit? Or in this case, quality?
We are asked to trust them and the word of people saying it is "good" and "fun".

But if your prior experience with them is anything but that description, then how is what you just wrote supposed to make me change my mind or invalidate my opinion? What's your point besides fervent defense of an unknown quantity where you don't know anything more than the rest of us?

Let me make it clear to you: I don't give a rats ass about changing your mind. Contrary to what you may believe, I do like hearing your opinion and why you're not backing - Don't like the company, not a fan of their product...Great! What I am telling you though, is you can take this whole concept of an "informed public" and cram it. They don't need to change your mind. They don't need to sell you anything. You aren't the person they're making the game for.

The BGG mindset, that was in part a catalyst to this site's formation, was the wrong assumption that all games need to reflect certain desired traits and characteristics. That if only the general population knew what was out there that the world would be a better place. That lesser games will be the ruination of the hobby.

That's what yours, and other's, posts smack of. That you (and they) know better. That what you (and they) desire is better. That people who back this are idiots.

The game is not for you. Fine. Good. Tip o'the cap to ye. That's not something I care about. I'll tell you one thing though I know I'm part of the "informed public" and I'm stoked as all get out for the game and I know I'm not alone.

Also, let me clarify that by no means will I ever argue that this will be a great game by any critical standards. It won't. It'll be a light dice chucker. And that's what I want and that's what I expect.

EDIT: $350k was just passed and Zuul was unlocked! Hopefully around noon or so tomorrow we'll get her companion Vinz Clortho

Pete asked me if I disliked Hyra because of his assumption of drug use. (Which honestly, who gives two fucks about what people do in their private lives? None of my business and I don't care)

Which turned into your emotional defense rmechanism getting all bent out of shape because of my mere opinion on the matter. Zip up your pants, your all to common kickstater confirmation bias is showing. I'm not your punch boy for your pent up sagrilus rage. Direct it elsewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2015 12:57 #197548 by VonTush
You're cute. Condescending prick, but still cute.
Too many condescending pricks here as of late gotta say.

More
12 Feb 2015 13:34 #197551 by Hex Sinister
The drug use thing was only a joke. Just sayin'.

More
12 Feb 2015 14:56 - 12 Feb 2015 14:58 #197559 by VonTush
Rules primer has been posted.
2 Actions and 1 Free action a turn. Movement is 2 squares per action. Combat is at range 3. So that being pretty limited makes up a bit for there not being any scenery it appears - I'm not crazy about it, but being limited like that I guess works. And I'm guessing that you can't take Ecto-1 off roading. Also since there isn't an enemy phase (stuff just moves per a script or randomly when you hit or miss in combat) there really isn't a need for tactical positioning. The other actions are removing slime and depositing ghosts. Free actions are getting in and out of Ecto-1 and trading trapped ghosts.

Ghosts go back to the spirit world. In the preview scenario you have to close gates and every turn you roll an event die to see what ghosts pop out from the spirit world. If you can't draw a ghost the players lose.

Combat is simple, roll a dice and check the ghost card to see what happens on a hit or a miss. Some ghosts require multiple hits. If that's the case put a proton beam token on the target. I do wonder if there's a way the ghosts can shake a proton beam. Reading Slimer's card he can't but it is possible for him to increase the To Trap (wounds) stat.

Shaking out to be the dice chucker I was assuming all along. Damn I love when my confirmation bias gets confirmed.
I'm so happy to see games like this making a comeback. Simple, straight forward fun.

What I really want to see now are other scenarios. As it stands now there's 3 ghost types, gates and that's about it as far as scenario material goes. Seems pure tactics in the Flash Point Fire Rescue sense. It actually sounds closer to that then Zombicide at this point I think.

Just saw this comment from Crypto: "If you or a Ghost with your Marker moves out of range or view, you lose all your Markers!"
I like that they use the word "view".
Last edit: 12 Feb 2015 14:58 by VonTush.

More
12 Feb 2015 15:00 #197561 by Space Ghost
I think there needs to be some type of rules regarding "crossing the streams" -- that would make it a lot more tactical, especially on ghosts that require streams from multiple Ghostbusters. Also, it looks like the proton stream will stay "connected" as long as line of sight maintained. A crossing the streams rule would definitely make it interesting.

In fact, if there isn't a crossing the stream rule, I might not back.

More
12 Feb 2015 15:06 #197562 by VonTush
With everything being pretty straight forward that might be a coin flip on if it is included or not.
Asked it on the KS page though. So hopefully soon we'll find out!

More
12 Feb 2015 15:10 #197563 by Space Ghost
We both know I am full of shit and will back regardless. I saw you ask -- I've been following the comments. By far away, the kickstarter I have been most excited about (or maybe the game, period) in a long time

More
12 Feb 2015 15:25 #197565 by VonTush
Even if a rule for that doesn't exist it'd be an easy one to add. Especially since it'd have to be when one GB has a proton token on a ghost and another tries to hit another ghost while crossing the 't' so I can't imagine that happening all too often. I'm guessing the silence at this point means there isn't one, but an easy variant to add.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about this game also. Oct is going to be a long way...Luckily I have Incursion and Super Dungeon Explore scheduled to land between this closing and this shipping which should do well to fill in the gap. This fall and winter I'm hoping for a lot of snow allowing my daughter, nephew and wife to sit down with some hot cocoa and bust some ghosts on a cold winter day with Ray Parker Jr on repeat.

More
12 Feb 2015 15:36 #197572 by Space Ghost
They answered your question with Egon's quote about crossing the streams -- I hope that it is an instant loss (or maybe roll a d6 or d8 and only survive on a 6 or 8).

More
12 Feb 2015 15:46 #197573 by VonTush
Yeah...I'm thinking no rules exists. But this does have that chassis feel where it's going to be super easy to just bolt on.
Hope the next Stretch Goal gets hit before I have to leave work. I have a feeling there's going to be an add on purchase.

More
12 Feb 2015 16:54 #197584 by Egg Shen
My resolve to not back this is weakening.

More
12 Feb 2015 17:04 #197587 by VonTush
They just busted the $400k stretch goal.
Waiting to see what's next.

More
12 Feb 2015 17:29 #197593 by Space Ghost
It's Gozer the Gozerian -- pretty cool looking mini

More
12 Feb 2015 17:37 #197595 by VonTush
I'm wondering how these are going to be used. Sandman looks to have his own campaign that goes along with it. These just mention a ghost card though.
Have you seen anything mentioned in the comments?

More
12 Feb 2015 17:48 #197597 by SuperflyPete

Hex Sinister wrote: The drug use thing was only a joke. Just sayin'.

BGG said "THIS PERSON IS A USER"

OMG

This place is becoming like BGG of late and that cannot stand.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.384 seconds