October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good - Ghostbusters Boardgame?

More
12 Feb 2015 18:01 #197599 by Hex Sinister
Whatcha quoting me for? I got the joke =P

My bgg name is Light User
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2015 10:10 #197642 by SuperflyPete
I know...I was making reference so that those that ~didn't~ would know just what you were talking about.

But back to the regularly scheduled program: It's fine to disagree and elaborate on why you think something is bad, despite there not being enough information to even fulminate an opinion other than "I don't know what it is, but based on the company, it probably sucks". What is just being a fractionated, refined cunt is telling people how stupid they are because they want to buy something. I've done it, but I don't anymore. It's a shit thing to do to your friends (read: internet strangers, mostly) and it's starting to drive some people away from the site. So, FUCKING QUIT IT.

If you've never played it, you have ZERO cause to shit in someone else's corn flakes. It's their money, and if you want to not buy it, then don't, and then shut the fuck up about the motivations and start talking about the WHY. Are the miniatures ugly? The art? What? If the rules aren't available, you don't know fuck-all and neither does anyone else. So, stop being a cunt for the sole purpose of feeling smarter.

/THE END.

PS: When I'm the voice of reason, you KNOW you are being a cunt.

More
13 Feb 2015 10:56 #197651 by OldHippy

Hex Sinister wrote: The drug use thing was only a joke. Just sayin'.

That's it, I'm out.

Without drugs this game doesn't stand a chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, SuperflyPete, engineer Al

More
13 Feb 2015 11:39 #197659 by SuperflyPete
I could see this game being an "event" sort of thing. Like, on Halloween, get the lights down low, get one of those ghost projectors...
www.geekalerts.com/ghost-hunt/
... then break out some shrooms and play. That would definitely be something that I'd like to play, sans the shrooms. Too old for that shit anymore.

More
17 Feb 2015 02:08 #197793 by Space Ghost

Josh Look wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: Yeah, that dice is really a nice inclusion. I also like that there is going to be a Sandman boss -- that was always one of my favorite episodes from the Real Ghostbusters.

One of the many standout episodes, for sure. If they were to put the Boogeyman or Samhain in this thing, my wallet would be screwed.

Samhain is the next stretch goal ($600K)

More
18 Feb 2015 11:40 #197931 by VonTush
Samhain is unlocked.
Next up is the Grey Lady (Librarian).

I still really want to see some more scenario examples of what they have planned. There's only so much that can be done with ghost variety and tile placement variety before additional scenarios just ceases to have value.

More
18 Feb 2015 11:59 #197933 by SuperflyPete
I'm all kinds of fucked off. I need to get some shit sold to buy this and nobody's biting.

More
20 Feb 2015 13:26 #198031 by Space Ghost
On the whole, I think this is being really well run. The gameplay looks pretty good (lots of randomness as could be expected) for the type of game that they are trying to create. There is going to be obstacles that block LOS and movement.

On an aside, the KS comments are just one step away from the youtube comments -- it is amazing how much people bitch and think they need an active role in the development of the game. This particular KS seems to have a lot of licensing issues; which results in stretch goals being spaced further apart than people like. Also, it appears that the things labelled as KS exclusive are truly that in that they will not be made available at retail in alternate forms (although they may be made available on a future KS project).

The nice thing is that they are solidly committed to their October deadline, which is refreshing given many successful KS will go way over their deadline (Conan, for example).

More
20 Feb 2015 13:45 #198032 by VonTush
It's shaping up to be a pretty good looking game. It's very nice to see LoS and movement restrictions on tiles. They've addressed that not all missions are "close the gate" type stuff, but I'm in the "Show Me State" so I'm waiting for the proof.

I've largely dropped from paying attention to the comments, but my favorite I caught was the guy taking the initiative to try to connect the CZE peeps with some company that makes custom dice towers to try to work some cross campaign synergy. He honestly thought his idea and initiative would take off. Otherwise yes, there's a lot of people that seem to feel that the know more and have a better vision for the game and must have their voice heard.

Hopefully the next stretch goal will be unlocked in the few hours and we'll see what's next.

One impression I got though from the playtest video is that if you game it too much it'll break much like HeroQuest breaks and just won't be a challenge. It's one where I'll just sit back,stay quiet and let the kids at the table take on the leadership role.

More
20 Feb 2015 13:51 #198035 by Space Ghost
Given the AI of the ghosts are reactionary, I think it might be hard to game too much anyway.

Sony seems to be a bit heavy-handed -- did you see that they have to get the "outlining" of LoS blocking objects on the tiles approved?

They told me specifically in a pm that some scenarios also introduce advanced rules (although, I still can't pin them down on crossing the streams) that might be a bit more focused on teamwork, etc. If done correctly, it really does have the potential to occupy a unique place in the co-op genre. I also asked if they would include a "trapping action" as a variant and they indicated that they might include that on their webpage, but didn't want to put it in the rulebook as not to alienate people who are not familiar with this type of game. It really seems that they are expecting people who don't play boardgames regularly to be a large part of their customer market.

More
20 Feb 2015 14:02 #198036 by VonTush
Game was the wrong word I was looking for, I guess playing towards maximum efficiency is more what I'm thinking. Like in HeroQuest when you realize that if there isn't a monster on the board you don't have to roll movement dice and if you slow play and open one room at a time, claiming your first character isn't going to move until the roll a '12', and keeping everyone together it's just a one sided game. Playing fully within the rules but at a level of maximum efficiency.

For sure they're not targeting the board gamer market. Notice the absence of banner ads at BGG. Not paying to host a BGG competition. Instead they went to USAToday, Forbes and every movie and computer game website they could. Almost like they're targeting everyone BUT hardcore board gamers.

More
22 Feb 2015 23:13 #198129 by Space Ghost
The next stretch goal is the Boogieman (great, great, great addition) -- it is odd, but this is the most excited for a game I have been in awhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush

More
19 Mar 2015 08:57 #199735 by SuperflyPete

Don't Stream the Cross
Attachments:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds