October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Kickstarted version of Catacombs

More
19 Feb 2015 15:29 #197986 by VonTush
It's up to the creator of the project. From what I've seen some will give you a window if you have to back out. Sometimes they'll withhold the fee that Kicktarter charged them from the refund. There comes a point though where it hits a point of no return though and the window closes.

There's nothing formal though because you're providing a donation or whatever word they use. So just like there's no guarantee that you'll get a product there's no guarantee that you can get money back. See Up Front for example, the people that have received money back there have done so through their credit card.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2015 15:39 #197987 by SuperflyPete
Generally there is. I've backed out of one due to delays and was refunded. I just emailed the publisher.

With regard to Incursion, I'm surprised. I would've expected that it would be faster, but I don't know what Jim's situation is. Now, with Glamazons, I'm not at all surprised. Matt bit off a whole lot and artists are the flakiest people in the history of flakes, and with most of his production being art, I kind of figured that would be very, very late. It's a F:ATtie, and a good guy, so if I never see it I figure it's only 20$ and what the hell.

It's a hell of a lot harder than it looks.

More
19 Feb 2015 15:43 #197988 by SuperflyPete

VonTush wrote: It's up to the creator of the project. From what I've seen some will give you a window if you have to back out. Sometimes they'll withhold the fee that Kicktarter charged them from the refund. There comes a point though where it hits a point of no return though and the window closes.

There's nothing formal though because you're providing a donation or whatever word they use. So just like there's no guarantee that you'll get a product there's no guarantee that you can get money back. See Up Front for example, the people that have received money back there have done so through their credit card.

This is the #1 myth about Kickstarter. It's not a donation.
www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use#section4

More
19 Feb 2015 15:43 #197989 by VonTush
Incursion got way too customized, and way too ambitious.
Offering metal minis required two different paths of minis production. Dealing with plastics for the first time, combined with different sculpts caused delays. The factory jerked them around a lot (and really they're just doing a 1,000 copy print run) so they got bumped a lot I'm sure. The factory I think was the big delay though, they new they were green and didn't have the order to get notice.

More
19 Feb 2015 15:48 - 19 Feb 2015 15:58 #197990 by VonTush

SuperflyTNT wrote:

VonTush wrote: It's up to the creator of the project. From what I've seen some will give you a window if you have to back out. Sometimes they'll withhold the fee that Kicktarter charged them from the refund. There comes a point though where it hits a point of no return though and the window closes.

This is the #1 myth about Kickstarter. It's not a donation.
www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use#section4

Means nothing. That's there to cover KS's ass to let people know:
A) They might not get the rewards for the project, though KS will waggle a finger in disappointment
B) KS ain't going to do anything about it and it is up to you as the backer to pursue legal action

In other words, it doesn't start as a donation as defined by KS, but the moment the backer gives up hope of seeing a reward or money refunded it defaults to donation.

EDIT: I guess the backers of Up Front and Airborne in Your Pocket could call their pledges advance payment for legal defense and debt obligations. No on from either project will see any money back or a product (since it sounds like Up Front's license reverts back to the designer in a few more weeks/months.)
Last edit: 19 Feb 2015 15:58 by VonTush.

More
19 Feb 2015 16:08 #197992 by stormseeker75
Sorry to hijack, but if Up Front goes back to the designer soon then maybe it will finally get published that way.

More
19 Feb 2015 16:42 - 19 Feb 2015 17:29 #197993 by Wetworks

Colorcrayons wrote: The kickstarter was just too expensive for what they offerred, IMO.

It's a great game that I will happily wait to buy at a considerable OLGS discount once its finally released. One of the few KS projects that made that choice easy for me, instead of waffling on the decision.

Actually, I thought they added a nice amount of kickstarter exclusives to get me to back for Catacombs.

New Catacomb Lords: The Ice Dragon (will be fun to play on the ice cave kickstarter exclusive board)
New Catacomb Lords: The Enchantress
New Catacomb Lords: Behemoth (extra large wooden piece)
A new Item (Think this was a Fire Antient)
The Ice Mage Hero / Ally
Cloth bags for all the pieces

NEW DOUBLE SIDED GAME BOARD ("the cavern" on one side, for the Cavern of Soloth expansion (see below), "ice castle" on the other) Note: YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO PLEDGE FOR THE SOLOTH EXPANSION TO GET THE EXTRA KS EXCLUSIVE BOARD.

Finally, A kickstarter exclusive Encounter with Soloth campaign using pieces from the base game and KS exclusives which include all new items,

the Soloth Catacomb Lord
the Raven Empress Hero
the Stone Antient (will have a proper Antient name)
a custom set of room cards that are deployed in a recommended sequence
the Crypts special room card
a new monster (which will also be one of Soloth's minions)
a new weapon item
a new spell

Think I paid around $50 after Canadian to US conversion. Pretty good deal overall.

Some art work of the new boards

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2015 17:29 by Wetworks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
19 Feb 2015 17:15 #197995 by Colorcrayons
I had to check the KS page to see the campaign you are referring to, as I dropped out long before that goal was reached or even thought of.

I agree that it does make a much better deal for $50ish than 5 cards and a new board/cloth bags that I saw for most of the campaign. But considering I'll likely be able to find the base game and soloth for under $80 (which is admittedly assumption on my part, though I believe a reasonable one), I'm still not regretting waiting for retail. I'm glad to hear the ks perks got better though.

More
19 Feb 2015 17:38 #197996 by Wetworks

charlest wrote: How can this be 2-3 months out with the boards not being printed yet and Chinese New Year? Is this being printed in Europe?

I know they got the wood from Germany, they had some mold problems with their old wood source in China. Not sure where it's being printed though.

More
20 Feb 2015 22:07 #198054 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Next month Incursion will be 1 year late. I'm none too pleased about it.

And that's for a game that already existed.

S.

Yea, though true to his style, Grindhouse Jim has been pretty good about keeping folks posted every step of the way with a pretty fair bit of insight into every fuck-up, no matter who was to blame--though most of it seems to stem from simply completing all the shit-ton of additional sculpts [there's a lot of this edition that didn't previously exist, particularly in plastic], which shouldn't be much of a surprise, and a seriously long-running quality control problem with Panda (one that I suspect some designers would have let slide just to get the product in-hand), which appears to have finally been resolved...

...just in time for all things Chinese to grind to a dead stop for nearly a month thanks to the Lunar New Year holiday....

...which probably isn't as big a deal as you'd think because, even if the stuff got ON a boat in China before last week, it ain't getting OFF the boat in LA any time soon thanks to the labor issues there.

If you were relying on just about anything sourced from China and shipped by sea, between the holiday shut-down, the clusterfuck at the west coast ports, and even slower-than-normal-we're-here-for-your-safety customs enforcement, it's sounding like you're pretty much fucked from now until April. (I've been trying to find a particular brand of cartomizer for my preferred e-cigs [aka "Daddy's Pacifiers"] and I finally had to resort to buying from China myself and having them shipped by air because US vendors haven't been able to restock in quantity.]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Feb 2015 23:02 #198055 by Frohike

Wetworks wrote: they had some mold problems with their old wood source in China.

That's funny. The original publisher had the same problem.

More
21 Feb 2015 00:32 #198058 by Wetworks

Frohike wrote:

Wetworks wrote: they had some mold problems with their old wood source in China.

That's funny. The original publisher had the same problem.

I think based on his experience with mold problems from his previous versions he decided to get it printed in Germany this time.

More
26 Jun 2015 09:16 #204989 by Wetworks
Tom Vasal just reviewed the 3rd edition of Catacombs.

Unfortunately it looks like another 2 months or so before U.S. backers can get their hands on it. It's currently running 7 months late.

More
26 Jun 2015 10:10 - 26 Jun 2015 10:12 #204994 by Michael Barnes
If I had money down on this, I would be furious that a reviewer got a free copy to promote sales before the people that backed it.

Further, if I got sent a copy of it to review, I would send it back and tell them "you need to send this to somebody that paid for this."

That's fucking wrong.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2015 10:12 by Michael Barnes.

More
26 Jun 2015 10:22 #204995 by charlest
Most people see Kickstarter as a pre-order system now. So it's no different than you or I reviewing advanced copies of Shadows of Malice Seekers of a Hidden Light before the people that pre-ordered get their copies.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds