October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shiv - A microgame about shanking inmates

More
23 Feb 2015 10:07 #198151 by charlest
I'm not too fond of openly soliciting on forums but this is kind of an odd situation and I have a lot of respect for this community, perhaps misplaced, so I thought I'd give it a go.

BGG announced a design competition that will occur at this year's Geekway to the West (local Con that's growing rapidly here in St. Louis) with the winner of the event being able to pitch their game to Chaddy from BGG who will be on the judge's panel. The contest is for microgames to fit into BGG's new line and is limited to 24 cards and a maximum playtime of roughly 30 minutes.

I'm not a huge fan of microgames but when this was announced last month an idea kind of forced its way into my head and now I'm all in. The end result was Shiv .

My pitch:

Shiv - a game of incarceration and blood - is a 3 player micro-game where players control prison gangs vying for influence by offing other in-mates.

Each player has a unique hand of 7 gang members corresponding to their faction that they will deploy face-down to one of three locations. Players perform actions listed on their cards as well as locations as they attempt to bluff, maneuver, and shiv the opposition.

Intrigue and drama are the focus as player's target influential members of the opposition's gang and claw for power while limiting their exposure.

Social, dynamic, and completely devoted to theme there is no other micro-game like Shiv

I intend to pursue getting this published regardless of the competition as I think it's potentially stellar. It doesn't really play like anything else and I have a hard time comparing it. It can be a somewhat curious first play as people try to figure out the powers of all of their gang members while also learning the rules and it can take around 30-40 on that initial run through. The second play and beyond take around 20 minutes.

It's deeper and more thematic than any other game I've played in this weight class and I think it has an audience. I'd dare it say it was the first Ameritrash microgame.

If anyone is interested and has the time, I'd appreciate feedback on the rules which are available for download on the BGG game link. I'd also be more than happy to send PnP files for the 24 double-sided cards (no other components needed). Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2015 19:26 #198182 by wadenels
Is it strictly 3 player? Would it work with 2-4 players? A wider player range is going to result in a lot more people being able to get it played, which is not only good in and of itself but will net you more feedback.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
23 Feb 2015 20:17 #198183 by DukeofChutney
your pitch sounds the biz and if it plays well a half deck o cards micro game is a very easy sell to a publisher.

More
23 Feb 2015 20:39 - 23 Feb 2015 20:41 #198184 by charlest
It is strictly 3 player. More players is not do-able due to the card count limitation (imposed by the competition) and less isn't really possible because of a loss of interesting dynamic/tension. I've thought about an alternate two player mode with maybe the third faction being randomly placed at locations but haven't come up with anything good enough.

Trieste did relatively well for a 3 player game and many reviewers give it props for hitting a number of players that aren't often served. I do agree with your sensibilities though that wider range of players is more desirable.

Thanks Duke, I think it plays very well but it needs more playtesting. Only played around 12 games of it thus far. I feel the rules are pretty much there, it's just balancing of three asymmetrical factions that isn't quite perfect yet.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2015 20:41 by charlest.

More
23 Feb 2015 20:52 #198185 by Cranberries
I will check out the rules. I would love to see the files but don't know if I can get it to the table with my game phobic kids.

More
24 Feb 2015 08:13 - 24 Feb 2015 08:13 #198201 by charlest
I will PM you links to the card files later craniac. You can check them out or not, no expectations attached and no worries if you never look at them.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2015 08:13 by charlest.

More
24 Feb 2015 08:37 #198203 by Legomancer
I'd be happy to take a look.

More
24 Feb 2015 08:51 #198206 by dysjunct
Send me the link too, please. I'd be happy to help.

More
13 Mar 2015 14:46 #199473 by charlest
In case anyone is feeling generous, voting is occurring to see which microgames move on to the next round in the BGG Geekway competition. I'd appreciate any votes for Shiv in the poll at the header:
www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/186510/20...e-prototype-design-c

More
13 Mar 2015 15:14 - 13 Mar 2015 15:17 #199479 by SuperflyPete
2nd place so far.

I want a copy.

should be Carniceros Rojos, not Rojo, I believe.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 15:17 by SuperflyPete.

More
13 Mar 2015 15:21 #199481 by Black Barney

charlest wrote: ...and I have a lot of respect for this community, perhaps misplaced...

the heck? You basterd, you're supposed to be winning our hearts with your cool idea. If you end up pitching this on Dragon's Den / Shark Tank one day, promise me you'll have a nice opener like that.

My only feedback is that it isn't a proper prison game if there isn't a mechanic for shower reach-arounds

More
13 Mar 2015 16:07 #199488 by charlest

Black Barney wrote:

charlest wrote: ...and I have a lot of respect for this community, perhaps misplaced...

the heck? You basterd, you're supposed to be winning our hearts with your cool idea. If you end up pitching this on Dragon's Den / Shark Tank one day, promise me you'll have a nice opener like that.

My only feedback is that it isn't a proper prison game if there isn't a mechanic for shower reach-arounds

Have to leave room for an expansion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Apr 2015 15:20 - 22 Apr 2015 15:24 #201316 by charlest
Shiv made the finals and I'll now be running it at Geekway in a round robin competition. Thanks to all who voted and for Pete, my sole BGG fan.

While I seriously doubt I win, I can't help but wonder if I would be excommunicated from the Fort if I enter into a partnership with BGG as a publisher utilizing Kickstarter. I almost hope I win more for that reason than to actually have one of my games published.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2015 15:24 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Rafael Silva

More
22 Apr 2015 16:39 #201324 by SuperflyPete
Well done, Charles! I really hope that you win, despite being stuck with BGG as the Publisher. You write from a very different perspective and I think you just ~think~ differently, so I'd bet this game is the cat's meow.

Send me the files, sucker! superflytntERTtwcDERTcom. I'll print them out and shiv my wife!

More
22 Apr 2015 16:51 #201325 by charlest
Thanks Pete. I thought I already sent them to you? Maybe I missed your name.

Currently testing a small rules tweak though, let me work on that some more.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds