October 09, 2023
2478 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dreamblade...help?

More
05 Mar 2015 12:27 #198847 by charlest
Dreamblade...help? was created by charlest
I'm contemplating getting into Dreamblade just to play occasionally with my group. Where do I start? I know Ebay seems to the best place but do I just grab a starter? How long does a starter last before it gets old? Should I just grab random lots of miniatures along with a Starter? Is there something I should avoid or be careful with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2015 12:47 #198849 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Dreamblade...help?
It's a really awesome game...I was hardcore into it when it first came out and up through the second set. Actually had some folks into it as well, but then it dropped off drastically around here and vanished. I had pretty much all of the first set and most of the second.

I would say just buy some lots...the starter is a starter, it won't get you far. I'd say get one of those and then do randoms. I'm not aware of anything to be cautious of.

The official playmat is well worth getting. There are also multiplayer rules online you'll want to get.

More
05 Mar 2015 13:00 #198851 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Dreamblade...help?
I have a complete set and a quite a few extras. I'm glad to send you the extras if you're interested.

More
05 Mar 2015 14:20 #198857 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Dreamblade...help?
Might take you up on that SG but need to figure out what I'm getting into first.

So the starter doesn't come with a playmat?

I know very little about this game besides it's kind of like chess with a whole mess load of creepy psychotic hellish creatures. I saw your comments on BGG Barnes, which helped fuel my interest.

It's relatively cheap, there's a starter on Ebay for $15. Might just grab that at first and see what I think of it. So nothing else really needed besides the starter and playmat? Do figures require/come with cards or little rules pamphlets? Or are their stats on their bases?

More
05 Mar 2015 14:38 #198862 by Space Ghost
The stats are on their bases -- I think that my extras are all from Baxter's War. I might have an extra complete set of commons and uncommons...glad to just send them to you (no payment required).

More
05 Mar 2015 15:25 #198875 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Dreamblade...help?
Starter comes with a playmat.

Buy two starters; each player needs a starter.

I think Dreamblade is even better than old-school Netrunner when it comes to replayability out of a small pool: get two starters (or a starter for each person you'll be playing with) and two boosters (or a booster for each person you'll be playing with), all from the base set. Once you learn the game from unmodified starters, give each person a booster and then let them trim their 23 minis down to 16; you'll get more engaging games that way, and it doesn't require any big pregame deckbuilding headache. But then just stick with those pools, and you'll get TONS of deep play, there's definitely no need to go whole-hog with this game like Android Netrunner or even Magic. Very playably casually from small pools!
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
31 Mar 2015 10:05 #200158 by charlest
So I've been messing around with this solo and damn, this game is great. Kind of if Clive Barker designed Dejarik.

Had a thrilling come from behind win last night where a couple of combats saw 15+ dice rolled. Interesting powers requiring some thought but the game itself isn't brain burning. Spawn system and maneuvering is also stellar.

More
01 Apr 2015 08:51 #200191 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Dreamblade...help?

charlest wrote: Might take you up on that SG but need to figure out what I'm getting into first.

I know very little about this game besides it's kind of like chess with a whole mess load of creepy psychotic hellish creatures. I saw your comments on BGG Barnes, which helped fuel my interest.

It's relatively cheap, there's a starter on Ebay for $15. Might just grab that at first and see what I think of it. So nothing else really needed besides the starter and playmat? Do figures require/come with cards or little rules pamphlets? Or are their stats on their bases?

Fifteen for a starter? I didn't think the price of this game would ever creep back up. I bought pounds of it when it was on close out but sold it to get money for a camera lens.

More
01 Apr 2015 09:21 #200196 by charlest

craniac wrote:

charlest wrote: Might take you up on that SG but need to figure out what I'm getting into first.

Fifteen for a starter? I didn't think the price of this game would ever creep back up. I bought pounds of it when it was on close out but sold it to get money for a camera lens.

Yeah, it's not dirt cheap but it's pretty cheap. Dan ended up hooking me up so I didn't grab that starter. None that cheap available now as people are looking to gouge.

Sealed boosters seem to be expensive as well. Even Miniature Market still clearancing Baxter's War is asking for a decent amount of cash.

More
01 Apr 2015 11:50 #200212 by Space Ghost
Still going to ship these -- ran into some emergency home problems, I will dig out the extra minis soon.

More
01 Apr 2015 12:14 #200213 by charlest
No problem, definitely no rush. Still interested of course.

More
01 Apr 2015 20:24 #200232 by Bull Nakano
Replied by Bull Nakano on topic Dreamblade...help?
This thread reminds me I need to sell a bunch of chase figs I have. Some of the rares are still pulling $30+ in case anyone has stuff sitting around and not doing anything. Charles, did you get started? I have some dice and mats around but it sounds like you're past that.

More
02 Apr 2015 08:26 #200246 by charlest
Yeah, Dan cut me a good deal on a nice set. A few rares mixed in, two sets of dice/maps, and a good selection of commons/uncommons.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds