October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Pandemic LEGACY...and nobody is talking about it????

More
12 Mar 2015 13:31 #199350 by SuperflyPete
zmangames.com/product-details.php?id=1726 (RED)
zmangames.com/product-details.php?id=1744 (BLUE)

What the hell, guys and gals? One of the most bad ass, influential games of our generation and not a single fuck was given...at the best board game site ever, FortressAT?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2015 13:56 #199357 by Erik Twice
Wow, this is amazing I should really check it out!

More
12 Mar 2015 14:15 - 12 Mar 2015 14:19 #199361 by Grudunza
I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned, but it's been a while since anything much has been revealed about it. Yes, I am all over this. Already pre-ordered the blue box.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2015 14:19 by Grudunza.

More
12 Mar 2015 14:42 #199365 by SuperflyPete
I haven't seen dick about it here, hence my statement. I know little about it, especailly why there's more than one set.

More
12 Mar 2015 15:08 #199366 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: I haven't seen dick about it here, hence my statement. I know little about it, especailly why there's more than one set.

Likely because Abyss successfully marketed two different box covers. The sets are the same from what I understand, just the cover is different.

Some collectors will have to have both.

More
12 Mar 2015 15:12 #199367 by Space Ghost
If it was a KS, heads would be rolling here over a pledge for two different box covers. Heads would be rolling....

More
12 Mar 2015 16:43 #199382 by Grudunza
More than one box cover is a cheap gimmick. I was hoping there might be some difference, like how the Risk: Legacy "do not open" packets have four different types. But as far as I've heard, they're exactly the same.

Basic idea is that it's Pandemic, but there are recurring issues between games, roles that are unlocked, cities that become uninhabitable, etc.

More
12 Mar 2015 17:03 #199386 by stoic
They're milking Pandemic for every drop, but, do gamers really need this if they already own Pandemic? Why not just house rule your existing copy of Pandemic to do exactly the same thing as this new game by inventing your own campaign mode?

With a bit of imagination you can create your own backstory story, destroy cities, evolve viruses, invent new roles, and kill off roles, all with a few pieces of paper, a pencil, an index card, and a handful of dice and your existing copy of the game.

Part of the culture of old school gaming is clearly dying as gaming becomes more mainstream. In the good ole days, we modified our own games with a little imagination. We didn't need to pay $$$ for a commercialized version in a box. As gaming become more mainstream, I wonder whether gamers as a group are also getting dumb downed? Why keep buying repackaged versions of the same thing?

More
12 Mar 2015 19:10 #199394 by Grudunza
I don't think the average lunkhead game designer wannabe would be able to create something as cohesive and cool as Risk:Legacy. I trust Rob Daviau and Matt Leacock to make this interesting, and the publisher and developers to make it polished and balanced. I also don't have the time... I'd rather pay for the experience with someone else having invested the months and years to create it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: schlupp, bfkiller

More
12 Mar 2015 19:12 #199395 by Colorcrayons

stoic wrote: They're milking Pandemic for every drop, but, do gamers really need this if they already own Pandemic? Why not just house rule your existing copy of Pandemic to do exactly the same thing as this new game by inventing your own campaign mode?

With a bit of imagination you can create your own backstory story, destroy cities, evolve viruses, invent new roles, and kill off roles, all with a few pieces of paper, a pencil, an index card, and a handful of dice and your existing copy of the game.

Part of the culture of old school gaming is clearly dying as gaming becomes more mainstream. In the good ole days, we modified our own games with a little imagination. We didn't need to pay $$$ for a commercialized version in a box. As gaming become more mainstream, I wonder whether gamers as a group are also getting dumb downed? Why keep buying repackaged versions of the same thing?

I was about to agree, then I recalled how I am pretty pumped for the Magic branded Heroscape and think that it comes down to preference and perspective. Preference for game (its hard for me to be less excited about anything regarding Pandemic) and perspective about "official" tweaks.
House rules are awesome, but its nice to bring something to any game group and have them know the rules without convincing them. "Official" stuff brings ubiquity.

More
12 Mar 2015 19:20 #199396 by magicbus1966
Z-man stated on facebook that the reason for two covers is so that you can play two campaigns simultaneously with two different groups and easily differentiate between which box goes with which group.

I think the market confusion created by the dozens of people asking the difference under every post would negate this convenience, but perhaps they didn't consider that. Or perhaps considered it and decided it wasn't a factor. Either way I see no reason to be angry or upset about it.

More
13 Mar 2015 08:02 #199409 by Legomancer

magicbus1966 wrote: Z-man stated on facebook that the reason for two covers is so that you can play two campaigns simultaneously with two different groups and easily differentiate between which box goes with which group.

I think the market confusion created by the dozens of people asking the difference under every post would negate this convenience, but perhaps they didn't consider that. Or perhaps considered it and decided it wasn't a factor. Either way I see no reason to be angry or upset about it.

Sounds like they missed an opportunity, then (or were argued out of it). I would have put a blank space on the front with "CASE NUMBER:" in front of it, for players to write ON THE DAMN BOX COVER.

I would have done that and then slept to the lullaby of "collectors" going "NOOOOOO"
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
13 Mar 2015 09:07 #199415 by Sagrilarus
Standard marketing concept. Some people prefer to buy red, some prefer to buy blue. That's why cars come in different colors.

Anyone collecting games based on the box cover has bigger problems than this. I think there's been eight Carc covers over the years.

S.

More
13 Mar 2015 09:10 #199416 by Chaz
I will definitely get this, cuz I think the Legacy concept is fascinating.

It will sit on my shelf under my unplayed copy of Risk Legacy. I might actually get Pandemic Legacy played, because I think my wife will be more into Pandemic than Risk.

More
13 Mar 2015 09:59 #199421 by Michael Barnes
I'm not discussing this game because permanently disfiguring a game with Magic markers is one step away from the collapse of society and possibly mass extinction. Including "one time use" components like sealed envelopes is something I would have expected Hitler to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, OldHippy, Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds