October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Conquest of Nerath

More
10 Apr 2015 15:07 #200622 by mutagen
Replied by mutagen on topic Conquest of Nerath

Goddammit I realize I may be outnumbered (or just plain wrong) but I fucking love Runewars. For me it's a forever shelf title regardless of how much play it gets.

You're not wrong about Runewars. It's the best DoaM I've played, and not by a small margin, and I have played them all.

Here's the thing about Nerath. It is a game everybody really, really wants to like. It's a beautiful game that checks all the boxes: D&D, DoaM, Questing, Elementals, ... But you get it to the table and it just kind of sucks. Even those that have found a way to like it, can only tolerate it in the very shortest of doses. But as many of us have discovered, the best way to enjoy the game is to leave it on your shelf and ponder the awesomeness of owning a DoaM where you can fight a black pudding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2015 15:32 #200623 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Conquest of Nerath
I have yet to play it. I don't have access to it and I just never seem to have any money to spend on things since the wife got laid off. It's a feeble excuse since I'm buying my new rifle in a week, and just last month I got a bunch of goodies from the Miniature Market sale (THEY WERE ON SALE!!) but this one just keeps eluding me.

Maybe I'll trade someone for it if my stuff on auction doesn't sell.

More
11 Apr 2015 11:58 #200655 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Conquest of Nerath
I'm largely with Barnes on this one, but I don't play it much either. In my case I think this is largely because I am just not that wild about DoaM as a genre. I like Nexus Ops and Dune, and that's about it for games I love without reservation.

Nerath is a very good game if you have four people, which is probably another reason it just doesn't get played a lot. Another thing is that it's basically a very direct take on a well-known style of game. It's quality comes not from its originality, but from how intuitive and unpretentious it is, kind of like Lords of Waterdeep, Nexus Ops, and the D&D Adventure games. Those of us who like these games like them a lot, but it's very easy to oversell them because they just don't draw attention to themselves mechanically. They do a common thing very effectively, and like good stagecraft, good design sometimes doesn't draw attention to itself.

If I had to compare it to anything, it's basically the directness of Nexus Ops, with the scope of a Gamemaster game. If that sounds like fun to you, it's a good get. As someone who generally isn't big on DoaM games, it's one that I actually like a lot and will keep it. It may not get played more than once a year, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's not so deep that it requires endless replays to pay off anyway, and it's simple enough to relearn in a five-minute stretch.

More
12 Apr 2015 16:38 #200698 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Conquest of Nerath
I probably should've just left the Runewars comparison out of it, since the games are mostly only similar in my mind and in theme than anything else. I do like Renewers, and I do have the expansion (but haven't used most of it yet, other than the piece or two needed to help play Runewars with the revised-edition rules). Others have also said RW is better with more than two, and I've only played it with two. Anyway, I don't really disagree with anything anyone's said about Nerath: it's good but not great, and there's a ton of good-but-not-great games out there, making Nerath extremely fungible. But still good.

More
12 Apr 2015 17:59 - 13 Apr 2015 02:19 #200699 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Conquest of Nerath
Well, I only have Nexus Op and Runewars in my collection.

*Welp, wrong thread*
Last edit: 13 Apr 2015 02:19 by Sevej.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds