October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Baseball Highlights 2045

More
21 Apr 2015 09:07 #201162 by SemiColon
Picked up a copy of Baseball Highlights 2045 based on some reviews I read after seeing one retweeted by a sports writer I follow who also enjoys boardgames and I have to say I'm very impressed. Haven't seen it mentioned here before, but it's a deckbuilding game from Mike Fitzgerald that simulates baseball in the future (you can tell by the year in the name!). Start with one of four 15 card base teams, each "game" you get a hand of six players and card play alternates until all cards are played. Each card gives you a certain amount of money that you use to buy new cards ("free agents") between games, replacing one of the guys you just played so you always have 15 players on the team. Definitely NOT a rigorous stats based simulation of baseball; you have clutch hits with runners in scoring positions, double plays to remove baserunners on 2nd and 3rd, pinch hitters who can be discarded to bring in an ace you kept in reserve, etc. But that works in its favour.
Played 7-8 times (couple solo) since I've gotten it, twice against my girlfriend who isn't really into the more "nerdy" games but is a baseball fan, and four times against a friend who is my usual partner-in-crime for two player games and everyone's really enjoyed it. Quick to pick up, especially if you already know baseball, doesn't take long to play (45-60), and so far I've found it very tight and balanced even though the starting teams are asymmetrical. Have to manage your hand, and also watch how your opponent is building his team to know what's coming next and what players to pick up or avoid. Had some great moments in a couple games where wins have been saved by holding onto a defensive card and stealing away a hit needed to tie it up or win it for the opponent. Definitely the best sports game I've played. Don't know how it would be for people who aren't baseball fans, but there is quite the good game in there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2015 10:16 #201167 by Bull Nakano
I'm a really big fan of Mike Fitzgerald, while I haven't played this I really want to. It looks like a computer CCG. You play a game then get a card or two to change your deck, repeat after each game (think Slapshot without the War). It seems really cool. I wish I'd backed it on KS.

More
21 Apr 2015 12:46 #201186 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Baseball Highlights 2045
Normally I dislike deckbuilder games and have limited interest in sports-themed games. However, I find that the deckbuilder mechanic seems to go well with sports themes. Slapshot is fun and Blood Bowl Team Manager is great.

More
21 Apr 2015 13:14 #201191 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Baseball Highlights 2045
The designer taught this game to Zavos and I at ConnCon. I liked it. Seemed very fun and fast. Some of the base running rules seemed counter intuitive based on his rapid fire explanation but I'm sure if I read the rules they would not be a problem.

I didn't buy a copy and I'll tell you why. The base set comes in a box and then there are 4(?) expansions. And by expansions I mean four small decks of cards. These are cards that are CLEARLY meant to be in the game. It's one of those things where they sell you an incomplete game and then you are almost forced to get the content that was cut out of the original design.

So in the end, the true cost of the game is far higher than one would think. That and the sour taste in my mouth from such a bullshit marketing strategy made me say "fuck that" and move on.

Sag would have been proud of me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds