October 09, 2023
2513 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2711 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

D&D Adventure Board Game: Temple of Elemental Evil

More
21 Apr 2015 14:22 #201206 by stoic
Anyone else read the design notes by Peter Lee posted today on "the other site" concerning the upcoming D&D Adventure Board Game: Temple of Elemental Evil? I'm fascinated with the picture of the tile layout which shows an outdoor/village tile layout. I own the other three games in this system so this will be high on my list to purchase when it's released.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2015 15:35 #201216 by Egg Shen
I'm pretty much on board to buy this once it hits shelves. I like the incremental enhancements they've made over the course of the games. It's a shame that Ravenloft is often considered the weakest because the theming of that one is my favorite.

Have they said what the release date is for this one?

More
21 Apr 2015 15:51 #201218 by repoman
Whatever they date is a Egg, expect me at your door to mooch a play off your purchase.

More
21 Apr 2015 15:56 #201219 by Josh Look
This bad boy is set to drop TOMORROW, motherfuckers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
21 Apr 2015 15:59 #201220 by Egg Shen

repoman wrote: Whatever they date is a Egg, expect me at your door to mooch a play off your purchase.

Sounds like a plan to me!

More
21 Apr 2015 16:11 #201227 by Michael Barnes
Should be getting a review copy of this in a few days...can't wait.

More
21 Apr 2015 16:40 #201231 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: Should be getting a review copy of this in a few days...can't wait.

I think they cut me off the "list", so I'm going to have to buy it off of you after your inevitable great review and subsequent sale. :)

More
21 Apr 2015 16:45 #201234 by Michael Barnes
Ah, but I've yet to sell ANY Dungeons & Dragons board game...that is the same copy of Ravenloft sitting over there that I got back in, what, 2010?

I had to kind of do a loop-de-loop to get to the right place to make a request...PR firms, publishers, etc...

More
21 Apr 2015 16:52 - 21 Apr 2015 17:10 #201238 by mikecl
I was so bored with Ravenloft's repetitive, and predictable game mechanics I traded it (after trying out and inventing a bunch of variants to improve it - I mean I really worked at making it playable) and haven't looked at the other board games in the D&D series since. But now that some time has passed maybe they've made enough changes to the system to warrant a second look so I'm looking forward to reading the reviews and taking another look at the system. I hear this one has a campaign mode too which would definitely add value. I played and enjoyed the Descent Road to Legend campaign system.

Come to think of it, I haven't played an old style dungeon crawl I've really liked since Descent 1st Ed.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2015 17:10 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 Apr 2015 10:25 #201281 by Egg Shen
I think the thing with the D&D Adventure games is that they're actually not dungeon crawls. The very first time I played Ravenloft I didn't like it. I was expecting there to be loot to gather, cool weapons to find, a campaign with characters increasing their stats. It doesn't really do any of that. It never was meant to.

Once I realized that the games didn't share the same design space as something like Descent and was just a straight co-op game set in the D&D universe I began to appreciate them much more. Alot of the stuff you do in the game is abstracted and it's almost more of what you bring to the table. For example, you might get a treasure of a lucky charm. All it lets you do is re-roll the die once. It's up to you to figure out what your character's charm is. For me part of the fun is trying to fill in the blanks and just go with it.

The games also got better once you could start adding bits/components from later games. If you own all of them plus the Dungeon Command games...well then you've got lots of customization options!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern

More
22 Apr 2015 10:36 #201283 by mikecl

Egg Shen wrote: I think the thing with the D&D Adventure games is that they're actually not dungeon crawls. The very first time I played Ravenloft I didn't like it. I was expecting there to be loot to gather, cool weapons to find, a campaign with characters increasing their stats. It doesn't really do any of that. It never was meant to.

Once I realized that the games didn't share the same design space as something like Descent and was just a straight co-op game set in the D&D universe I began to appreciate them much more. Alot of the stuff you do in the game is abstracted and it's almost more of what you bring to the table. For example, you might get a treasure of a lucky charm. All it lets you do is re-roll the die once. It's up to you to figure out what your character's charm is. For me part of the fun is trying to fill in the blanks and just go with it.

The games also got better once you could start adding bits/components from later games. If you own all of them plus the Dungeon Command games...well then you've got lots of customization options!

I guess that (not a dungeon crawl) is part of it and something I hadn't really thought about. I'm hoping the entire series has evolved since I played Ravenloft. I just looked at a viideo review of the game and the components look pretty good. I like the elemental evil theme. Most of the game play and card structure is the same, but there seems to have been a few important tweaks around the Event tiles and deck that might elevate it a little. It looks like the frequency of a monster bopping up out of the blue and pasting you has been reduced. Campaign mode is a good addition too.

More
22 Apr 2015 14:34 #201311 by Michael Barnes
They're not TACTICAL dungeoncrawls, which is usually what people expect. They exist somewhere between Dungeon! and Descent, which pitches them about exactly where I like this kind of game to be. They're lighter games, skewing more to the family end of the spectrum. I like that too, especially because this kind of thing usually goes more toward the hardcore/hobbyist end of things. For some reason, there was (and is) almost this kind of resentment toward these games for not being a competitor to Descent.

Dungeon Command...*sigh*...probably the most underrated game of these modern times. That game is SO good, and it exists in an unusual space- totally PVP dungeon fighting with squad building and a CCG-style cardplay element. It's definitely descended from the old D&D miniatures game but with a bunch of improvements. I wish so much that the Star Wars dungeon game on the market today was based on Dungeon Command.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
22 Apr 2015 15:24 #201317 by Egg Shen

Michael Barnes wrote:
Dungeon Command...*sigh*...probably the most underrated game of these modern times. That game is SO good, and it exists in an unusual space- totally PVP dungeon fighting with squad building and a CCG-style cardplay element. It's definitely descended from the old D&D miniatures game but with a bunch of improvements. I wish so much that the Star Wars dungeon game on the market today was based on Dungeon Command.

Yeah I agree....it's a really cool little system. The fact that they added more variety to the Adventure Systems was just gravy. Such a shame they never released any more sets. It looks like those sets are finally starting to dry up. I expect most of them to be OOP and hard to find by the end of the year.

More
22 Apr 2015 15:36 #201318 by mikecl
i guess I kinda dismissed it as gimmicky when it first came out. (Didn't it get mixed reviews here?) Maybe I'll give it another look. Wouldn't be the first time I passed on a good thing without realizing it.

More
22 Apr 2015 15:40 #201319 by Michael Barnes
At the time, it felt sort of weird that they were selling it in faction boxes...but now, after Imperial Assault selling you individual figures that replace cardboard tokens to complete your purchase of the base game...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, mikecl

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.865 seconds