October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

New GW 40K Assassin Board Game

More
22 Apr 2015 15:46 #201320 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, all this talk of "the models will be available individually later on" sounds like there was a product development meeting where somebody said "hey, let's do a board game to package these together...somebody get Jim down in the mail room to whip something up, I hear he has a game designer badge on BGG"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2015 19:38 #201329 by DukeofChutney
GW has changed direction over the last year or so, their old CEO left having turned the company around. The new management are scrambling to find ways to keep the growth chart going and the investors on board. I suspect they've been watching all the absurd minis based boardgames raking in the cash on Kick-Starter. Perhaps they will try to find ways to repackage sets of minis, that as you say, are in the pipeline anyway.

More
22 Apr 2015 19:55 #201330 by VonTush
Remember that "absurd" in KS terms is a drop in the bucket for GW. One of their branded stores likely has as much product in stock as those KS do. So really, KS is likely a non-factor in this.

Stopped by my FLGS to chat up the guy. He mentioned that between the two waves of SH he went through 300 copies. With Dreadfleet he said that GW only sold 30% of the total units produced and has to pay for eco-recycling. His rep has been soliciting numbers from him since Monday which he didn't commit to any. And today he told his rep to send 5. That people are asking about it, but without any info on it rules-wise no one is biting. Especially at the $125 mark.

A new WD page photo posted. Which he informed me, are being "leaked" by GW sock puppet accounts as part of their low cost high buzz marketing plan they've adopted. 12 tiles are shuffled and the assassins are looking for two specific rooms, once found they can enter the final room and assault the Chaos Lord. So if that's the case, that mission book may be a lot of fluff or not all too deep. A selling point in the new image is the event deck that "ensures plenty of random occurrences take place."

One thing that does sound cool is there seems to be a stealth ability since Chaos dudes are marked with aware or not aware counters.

Sounds more and more in line with a $50-60 game than $125.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, Egg Shen

More
22 Apr 2015 20:11 #201331 by Michael Barnes
Sounds like Claustrophobia.

Which is $50-$60. Or about $125 with two expansions.

And like three times as many pre-painted, assembled miniatures.

And multiple scenarios.

But no GW IP.

More
22 Apr 2015 21:03 #201332 by VonTush
Reading a bit closer, those 12 tiles are just 2x3 rooms that are placed on an undetermined number of larger tiles.
Hmm...The more that comes out the less interested I'm in (at that price) and after Dreadfleet I know shops are going to be more cautious. But maybe we'll see DF prices in short order.

More
23 Apr 2015 06:56 #201341 by DukeofChutney
I lost interest as soon as i saw that its a coop. I'm sort of done with monsters moving in random directions and card flipping. I agree that it looks over priced for what it is. I don't think GW will be wowed by KS cash levels but the hype shows there is a market for minis boardgames and i suspect they will want to try and force their way into that and expand it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
23 Apr 2015 08:42 #201343 by VonTush
Full box shot contents posted and wow...So little for $125.
This really now looks like a box that was designed to move the assassin models figuring someone's going to look at the box and say "Well, I could buy four assassin models at $25 a pop or pay $25 more get a $25 Chaos Lord, extra Chaos minis and a whole game". It looks like the whole reason for the price is because GW minis are very expensive. Half the White Dwarf pages that "leaked" are talking about the assassins in 40k.

More
23 Apr 2015 09:36 #201348 by Michael Barnes
Enough modifiers for me to make my saving throw against foolish purchases. Whew.

More
23 Apr 2015 10:18 #201350 by VonTush
I will say that if the gameplay turns out to be really solid I may bite if I can find it at a discount somewhere.

Here's the image if you haven't seen:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., hotseatgames, Egg Shen

More
24 Apr 2015 22:36 #201472 by VonTush
I picked up the White Dwarf to see what was up. There are two boards one where a lot of the action takes place then a summoning room of sorts where the main Chaos character is that you're trying to kill. The variation comes on the main board where there are twelve areas where room tiles are revealed randomly. The assassins are looking for two specific rooms, the control room and teleportation room. Once both are found the assassins teleport to the summoning board section and have their final battle with the Chaos Character.

Characters have two stats Resilience and Stamina. They also have their actions listed. Actions are things like Move (fixed number of spaces), Sprint (d6 spaces) and then their attack options or any of their other special skills or abilities. They only showed one of the four assassin cards. The attacks are simple by showing how many d6 to roll and some have a +1 or +2 which I assume means you add that to your roll. You compare against a target's resilience and my guess is equal to or higher and you cause a wound.

Assassins have counters which I assume is their wargear and little tricks they can do that are limited over the course of the game. Enemies move on patrol routes that are mapped out with red arrows on the map. If there's an option a dice is rolled to determine movement randomly. Unless the model is On Alert and then it moves towards the commotion that caused it to go On Alert. At the beginning of every chaos turn Event Cards are drawn and I think it said one for every model On Alert.

Of course this is just being glossed by some sparse rule bits and in play examples so some assumptions were made. Overall though it does appear to have that straight forward no-nonsense GW style where they're not looking to do anything fancy but just make an exciting game semi-based on randomness.

To me it looks pretty damn fun but there's a HUGE disconnect between content and price. And the buzz online that I've been reading echoes that. As more info was released more and more people seemed to drop out of that Day 1 Purchase crowd (myself being one). Hopefully there'll be a lot of 40k players that get the set for the assassins and dump the cardboard on eBay like Space Hulk. I have plenty of Necrons to sub in for Chaos and I can find something for the assassins. Or it goes on clearance online somewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Egg Shen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds