October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk: Star Wars Games

More
23 Apr 2015 18:08 #201389 by ChristopherMD

We live in a golden age of Star Wars games. Which one is your favorite? Which game or combination of games do you think captures the movies the best? What will people still be playing 10 years from now? Any ideas for your perfect Star Wars game that haven't been done yet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2015 18:48 #201391 by Michael Barnes
Golden Age?

The best would be Queen's Gambit, Epic Duels, OT Risk and of course X-Wing. SW LCG is really good, IF you lock in and have someone else locked in too to get the most out of it. Armada is probably cool, but the cost is prohibitive especially in tandem with keeping up with Armada. Imperial Assault is a workmanlike dungeoncrawl with Star Wars pictures. It's OK at best. The little retheme of Cold War is very cool- cheap, neat and definitely a >>MUST BUY<< for SW fans.

I'd really like to try that Angriff der Klonkrieger thing that Kosmos did. But it is based on one of the worst scenes in the worst SW films.

Queen's Gambit is really interesting because it is based on just the last act of the second worst SW film, and it really captures that classic multi-tiered climax that you see in the SW films. It's a great design that was really kind of blown on the license- especially since Episode One is now 15 years ago and no one cares about it anymore, it's practically on the verge of becoming non-canon. Good riddance.

I somehow have never played Assault on Hoth.

SW games I'd like to see are something similar to Knizia's LOTR that retells the entire OT story in a co-op framework. Something similar to Knizia's LOTR: The Confrontation that has a Rebels vs. Empire setting. Command and Colours: Star Wars. Loopin; Louie with Chewbacca flying the Falcon...dreams do come true!

I really would like to see some kind of board game come out of Star Wars: Rebels other than the kind of dopey Wonder Forge stuff that's out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
23 Apr 2015 18:55 - 23 Apr 2015 18:55 #201393 by ChristopherMD

Michael Barnes wrote: Golden Age?

Referring to number of choices not quality of games.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2015 18:55 by ChristopherMD.

More
23 Apr 2015 21:39 #201395 by MacDirk Diggler
Ya, I am not sure anything has knocked off Epic Duels.

If we have a trashdome over it, Epic Duels is odds on favorite.

I am not familiar with Queens Gambit. X Wing is Wings of War re-theme. Imperial Assault is Descent re-theme.

Epic Duels is more or less the prequel to Heroscape.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Apr 2015 21:46 #201396 by OldHippy

Alastair MacDirk wrote: Imperial Assault is Descent re-theme.

Well... Doom to be fair. The system was originally intended for Sci-Fi corridor fighting. The re-theme to Star Wars is not that weird. In fact it's less weird than the re-theme to fantasy.

Imperial Assault for me. It's what I always wanted from a SW game.. that and X-Wing. I have probably played the LCG more than anything though and I love that game... but it's not exactly the most theme-full game I've ever played. IA does what I wanted from a SW game (or just a Sci-Fi dudes in a hall game anyway, SW or not) and I enjoy it a lot right now. Might be the shinny new-ness or buyers defense but I can't know that.. all I can know is that I really dig it.

Although I've never played Queens Gambit, honestly it never appealed to me and it may be because of the setting but after years and years of hearing about it I'd sure love to try it out.

More
23 Apr 2015 21:52 #201397 by Octavian
Queen's Gambit is the only one of the pre-FFG wave that still holds up. Epic Duels has not held up. Armada is much more fun than X-Wing for my money (though technically, it's not my money as a friend is going all in on both so I get to play for free). And Imperial Assault is FANTASTIC. Works so much better than I ever thought it would considering its roots.

More
23 Apr 2015 23:24 #201401 by Gary Sax
Sounds like the best way to play Armada. Using someone else's miniatures.

More
24 Apr 2015 00:34 #201404 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Let's Talk: Star Wars Games
Would be Imperial Assault for me. I like X-Wing, but really, while Star Wars have space battles, they are not what in my mind when I'm thinking Star Wars.

Having Vader rolled at your Jedi wannabe with 4 dice and got the X at the white defense die is priceless.

More
24 Apr 2015 03:16 #201406 by Hex Sinister

Alastair MacDirk wrote: X Wing is Wings of War re-theme.

Still a fine example of taking a really good idea and making it a great one.

X-Wing has hit my table consistently since release and I never tire of it. I can't say the same for other games I bought that year. It might even be my favorite game now. But not only do I have fun playing it, I enjoy just looking at it, reading about it on here, looking at new releases, and etc. Other games I might enjoy quite a bit but I can't even be fucking bothered to click on a link to them most of the time. What's funny is that I was never a Star Wars nerd before X-Wing came out. Nowadays, I'm leaning that way.

Armada has a lot of potential to be big for me but I don't have it yet.

More
24 Apr 2015 09:04 #201409 by charlest
Queen's Gambit and X-Wing are tops for me. I've never been much of a fan of Epic Duels.

Armada is great, but it's a full blown miniatures game with an expenditure layout parallel to a Games Workshop game. Each wave's going to cost over $100 to acquire and that's not considering the fact you may want to run more than one ISD or whatever. I did really like it though and have a review coming up at the Review Corner.

X-Wing and Queen's Gambit will stand the test of time. These will be fantastic games 20 years from now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
24 Apr 2015 09:14 #201411 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: I'd really like to try that Angriff der Klonkrieger thing that Kosmos did. But it is based on one of the worst scenes in the worst SW films.

It's actually a lot like a condensed version of Queen's Gambit, but with dice instead of cards, if that makes sense. It's fun.

Queen's Gambit is really interesting because it is based on just the last act of the second worst SW film, and it really captures that classic multi-tiered climax that you see in the SW films. It's a great design that was really kind of blown on the license- especially since Episode One is now 15 years ago and no one cares about it anymore, it's practically on the verge of becoming non-canon. Good riddance.

To you, maybe, but a lot of people really liked the film. Not the greatest, but not as bad as the fanbois would have someone believe. I love this game, but it's about an hour too long, I think. The whole "sidepath" is too wonky and takes too long, so really, it's all about the battle droids. I like the ~idea~ of it more than the game, but as a fighting game, it's still bad ass.

I somehow have never played Assault on Hoth.

You really need to either a) love wargames...or b) have a lot of time put into making a custom table and custom models. I love it, or did back when I played it last, but every year at GenCon there's this big table someone brings and it's fucking beautiful beyond compare. Last year someone had the hoth music playing during the thing and I saw people walking by, stopping and ogling, then almost tearing up. THAT ALONE is worth going to GenCon, if you're a fan of hobby art.

More
24 Apr 2015 09:32 #201413 by Legomancer
I haven't played too many (one of the Risks but I don't remember which one, the LCG, X-Wing, one other) and I haven't played the ones people really like (Queen's Gambit, Epic Duels) but the one I liked best was the Cold War remake, and honestly I like the Cold War theme better. As much as I loved SW as a kid, and continued to love it until my enthusiasm for everything except the first movie was beaten, stomped, pissed on, and left for dead in a sewer, I haven't been grabbed by the games I've played, nor had my tummy tempted by the ones I haven't.

The LCG is pretty good, but for me it fell down in two ways. First, as an LCG, it didn't have much of a chance. Even with its easy-peasy deck construction I am no loonger at a point where I want to play with a game when I'm not playing that game. Secondly, there were aspects of it I just thought were dumb an intrusive, and I'm not talking about having an Ewok pilot a Y-Wing against IG-88 or whatever. The "force battle" part felt dumb and tacked on, a bone thrown to people who need to have Jedis involved. (I admit that the Jedi are of course part of the universe but it's always been my absolute least favorite part.)

Basically, the games have served to show that yeah, SW is something that's no longer for me, which is fine. I have more affection for SW than, say, LOTR, but like the latter, a SW theme is almost a turn-off now rather than a plus. Then again, a licensed theme is almost always a turn-off for me. The only ones I know off-hand I have are Marrying Mr. Darcy and that Perry Rhodan game.

More
24 Apr 2015 09:34 #201414 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Let's Talk: Star Wars Games
i haven't played any of the FFG Star Wars games but Clash of the Lightsabers is a fun card game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
24 Apr 2015 09:45 #201416 by charlest
Oh I forgot to mention - the Decipher CCG was also pretty damn good. Actually think it's a better game than the current FFG LCG. I still have around 500 or so cards I use when making prototypes because they're virtually worthless.

More
24 Apr 2015 09:48 #201418 by Cranberries
I wish someone would come up with a Car Wars game with the playability and collectability of the Star Wars mini game. You could have weapons you could pop onto the little cars. Burning wreckage markers. And rules that didn't bloat up like a dead cow in the desert sun.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds