October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

I Want to be a God

More
27 Apr 2015 13:50 #201541 by OldHippy
I Want to be a God was created by OldHippy
I love creation myths, I love religion (the idea alone and the mythologies they come up with). I love the idea of Gods.

What I really want is a game that lets me do this. So (and this may exist already) what I'm thinking is a game where you get to be a God creating a world and all life in it. Imagine something like Mage Knight but instead of turning over tiles for the sake of exploring your creating the world from scratch and creating your own creation myth as you go along. Intelligent life starts coming around at some point and they may follow you and tell your stories. Your buddies can steal your followers somehow (maybe war, propaganda, manifestations etc... ) and vice versa. So technically your buddies army may belong to you (if you kill all the opponents in a war then you get no new followers.. although buddy still has less now).

I was thinking of it as a fun project I could start working on but then I remembered that I just don't have time for that shit. So someone either design this game or show me where it exists already. The key component is that it can't just feel like another exploration civ style game. It needs to feel like your creating mythologies and allow some freedom for those stories to be personal or based on things you've done in game.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2015 14:04 #201542 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic I Want to be a God
Spore computer game is sort of what you are talking about.
Attachments:

More
27 Apr 2015 14:30 - 27 Apr 2015 14:32 #201544 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic I Want to be a God
Think it might be called Sperm

No seriously, you need to play Dominion. You get to create a God and then get followers and then kill everyone. It's great fun. Can get it on Steam.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2015 14:32 by ThirstyMan.

More
27 Apr 2015 14:32 #201545 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic I Want to be a God
There was Age of Gods by Claustrophobia's Croc, but I've never played it so can't really comment if it's really what you're after. You might still want to do research on it.

More
27 Apr 2015 14:32 #201546 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic I Want to be a God
Milch und Gherkin will feature many of the things you are looking for. And many things you didn't realize you wanted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
27 Apr 2015 14:43 #201548 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic I Want to be a God
If you're talking about boardgames the only one that springs to mind is Godz (yeah terrible name).

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160550/godz

It's made by the same folks that did Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault which Barnes and others have heaped praise upon. Might be sort of what you're looking for. Probably not.

If you're going the PC gaming route then you'll probably need to track down Populous, Black and White, Spore or something else created by Will Wright or Peter Molyneaux.

More
27 Apr 2015 16:10 - 27 Apr 2015 16:10 #201556 by eekamouse
Replied by eekamouse on topic I Want to be a God
I always enjoyed the original Black and White game from Lionhead Studios on PC. They are responsible for the Fable and other games.

I never played the sequel, so not sure it's better than the original. The original was ridiculous. I'm not sure it's a good "game", but I had a blast playing it. It had some uniquely fascinating bits to it. It was like one part RTS and one part 4X, but then you could also come down from the heavens in and avatar and have scenes like this :)

Last edit: 27 Apr 2015 16:10 by eekamouse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
27 Apr 2015 16:31 #201558 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic I Want to be a God
I've actually made a card game where you play gods trying to make your followers more devout by sending plagues in their general direction. The basic idea is that if they get too much, they leave you, but if they get just enough they'll stick with you. There's also a bit of bluffing and some take that elements in it. I've made it as a print and play game and I'll be happy to send you the files.

More
27 Apr 2015 17:22 - 27 Apr 2015 17:23 #201559 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic I Want to be a God
What you want sounds a lot like Populous, a late 1980s computer game for the Commodore Amiga I actually played back in the day. You and your opponent had followers you got by building shelters and you could cause earthquakes, floods and volcanoes to wipe them out. You could turn some of them into knights. As you increased your followers, you got more divine powers. I don't remember if there was some kind of mythology or not but the main aim was to have your followers war with and wipe out your opponents. It had a ton of levels and. I think it was picked up on other game systems like Nintendo at some point.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2015 17:23 by mikecl.

More
27 Apr 2015 17:37 - 27 Apr 2015 18:00 #201560 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic I Want to be a God

Michael Barnes wrote: Milch und Gherkin will feature many of the things you are looking for. And many things you didn't realize you wanted.

So the design has changed drastically since

fortressat.com/forum/13-eurogames/21490-...for-milch-und-gurken

?

Because it was about selling pickles.. but that's an easy and common theme switch.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2015 18:00 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
27 Apr 2015 17:38 #201561 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic I Want to be a God
Incidentally, Joel & Mike, you're both talking about games designed by Peter Molyneaux. The only other semi-recent video game with a similar vibe that I can think of is From Dust by Eric Chahi (creator of Another World), but it got some pretty mixed reviews.

More
27 Apr 2015 17:42 #201562 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic I Want to be a God
I was thinking more of a boardgame... and hopefully not something too mathy. I was thinking it would be best if the story was front and center in some way. The creation mythos itself.

I did play some game on my 360 that I thought was called Dust where you created the land and had followers and mitigated disasters.. it was ok. Someone recommended Gheos and other than it sounding too light to do what I want it does sound close otherwise.

More
27 Apr 2015 17:44 - 28 Apr 2015 13:49 #201563 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic I Want to be a God
Hey JJ look what I found. Your game in production on Kickstarter right now . It might be missing the worship part though and it's a computer, not a board game.

EDIT: Ninja'd by JJ.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2015 13:49 by mikecl.

More
27 Apr 2015 17:57 #201564 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic I Want to be a God
I think I can imagine the game. You place a tile and some creature seed cubes. When you place subsequent tile, the seed will spread. Depending on the tile you placed, the seed may also evolve.

Can be interesting.

More
27 Apr 2015 21:55 #201565 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic I Want to be a God
Well, there's a bunch of games that do that.

SIMLIFE was one of the first.
Populous series was one of the best ever.
Dungeon Keeper (sort of) does this.
Black and White does this, sort of.
From Dust is really a great example.

As far as board games, lots do that, but in an abstract way. Dominiant Species and Evo kind of does this.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds