October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Cards Against Humanity

More
07 May 2015 21:03 #202011 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Cards Against Humanity
CAH shows that games should mainly about your fellow players, as board games should be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2015 21:17 #202013 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Cards Against Humanity
For me it's in the "gets stale fast" category. It could be fun to break it out for people that have never played it before, who wouldn't be offended. I wouldn't bring it to work, because I want to keep my job.

More
07 May 2015 21:27 #202015 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Cards Against Humanity
I winced when I read the review because I could just hear the shitstorm of apologetics in its wake, most of it in the #gamergate bro form of "don't tell me what is and isn't ok to find funny... help help I'm being repressed!" or "omg trigger warnings? what is wrong with our society?" most of it ostensibly coming from angry white neckbeards who probably haven't been the subject of most of the garbage in those cards. On the flip side are the almost pathological empaths who just cannot comprehend laughing at something simply because it's awful. And on the further flip side are people who think that this form of humor is just inexhaustibly funny and that CAH is "pretty good".

No, no it isn't. The game is garbage, the humor is a thin gimmick, and many of the people laughing about it are in fact laughing for the wrong reasons. And yes, there are wrong reasons.

But I really don't think any of this needed to be said, which is what I find odd about the timing of the SUSD review.

More
07 May 2015 22:11 - 07 May 2015 22:14 #202018 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Cards Against Humanity
I wasn't sure what the fuck Gary meant when he said this could turn into a Firday Freakout... I just thought; "what... this silly game nahhh"..

So, hold on there Frohike. Do you really expect me to believe that... I just, I'm not even sure what to say to this.

Look, I'll try to be as straight as I can with you ok, that fair enough?

Do you really honestly believe that you can flip a thing to three different sides? C'mon!!

Frohike wrote: ...angry white neckbeards who probably haven't been the subject of most of the garbage in those cards. On the flip side are the almost pathological empaths who just cannot comprehend laughing at something simply because it's awful. And on the further flip side are people who think that this form of humor is just inexhaustibly funny and that CAH is "pretty good".

Coins do not land on their side ok... get a grip!! It's heads or tails.
Last edit: 07 May 2015 22:14 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
07 May 2015 22:26 #202020 by Michael Barnes
Do not give in to astonishment.

More
07 May 2015 22:52 #202021 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Cards Against Humanity
Think quantum and get serious.

More
08 May 2015 00:10 #202024 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Cards Against Humanity
Humanity Against Cards.

More
08 May 2015 02:47 #202027 by MacDirk Diggler
The "dick fingers" card is broken.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

More
08 May 2015 09:09 #202035 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Cards Against Humanity

Alastair MacDirk wrote: The "dick fingers" card is broken.

Fuck you...I have "dick fingers" you insensitive prick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis, Frohike

More
08 May 2015 09:18 #202036 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Cards Against Humanity

Michael Barnes wrote: It reminds me of being in elementary school and some kid had one of those Truly Tasteless Jokes books. The kind that you are sort of shocked by at first, but then you realize that they're just lame and sad.

I once attended an incredibly lame party in college. Computer geeks standing around listening to Kraftwerk albums while drinking wine-in-a-box mixed with Mountain Dew. Then somebody brought out the Truly Tasteless Jokes books and started reading their favorites out loud, marked by dogeared pages. After fifteen minutes of excruciating awkwardness, I made my escape.

More
08 May 2015 09:29 #202037 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Cards Against Humanity

JonJacob wrote: I

Do you really honestly believe that you can flip a thing to three different sides? C'mon!!

Frohike wrote: ...angry white neckbeards who probably haven't been the subject of most of the garbage in those cards. On the flip side are the almost pathological empaths who just cannot comprehend laughing at something simply because it's awful. And on the further flip side are people who think that this form of humor is just inexhaustibly funny and that CAH is "pretty good".

Coins do not land on their side ok... get a grip!! It's heads or tails.

What, you don't believe in magic?

I've played it 2-3 times with some semi-gamer friends who really like it and got the Canadian expansions. For me it's just some time to drink and shoot the shit with friends, even if i'd rather be playing Rock Band with the gang, but whatever, if most of the group want to be doing that I don't mind. Reverting to grade school humor once in a blue moon while getting drunk's all right, even if the game does get stale real fast.

More
08 May 2015 10:03 #202045 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Cards Against Humanity
I really like it. It gets old after 4-5 plays because you've seen all the cards, so there's no "hidden punchline", so to speak. Expansions extend the experience but if there's a failure to the game, it's the "Munchkin syndrome" where it is funny....the first time.

More
08 May 2015 10:51 #202054 by MacDirk Diggler
Fuck you. I have Munchkin Syndrome.

More
08 May 2015 14:53 #202085 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Cards Against Humanity
I will never understand why people think this game is such a groundbreaking event. Several of my wife's friends will publicly declare that they are bringing the game to one of our parties (either by the email chain or facebook group). Every time a handful of people sit inside and play it, while everyone else is outside watching a movie, swimming, or playing other games (Pitchcar will always be a favorite). As long as they do not get out of hand, I do not care too much, but I will not play it with them. I have played a digital version a couple times with my college buddies, but playing it with people I barely know seems silly. I would much rather play Munchkin.

More
08 May 2015 20:00 #202119 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Cards Against Humanity
I don't know...I go to my fair share of parties and it never fails to be fun with a bunch of drunk people.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds