October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The End of Letterman

More
16 May 2015 21:58 - 16 May 2015 22:06 #202569 by OldHippy
I don't know about you guys but I grew up with Letterman. As a young child when he was still on NBC it was the most dangerous thing I could see on TV. There were some brilliantly surreal and stupid silly bits on there over the years. Velcro, magnets, hydraulic presses and toothpaste... ridiculous stuff. Then there's his interview style which brought a new kind of honesty to television. It's kind of sad to see him go.

Last night he had the last stand up set for his show and the stand up he chose was Norm Macdonald... my favourite too but a reasonably polarizing figure. The set itself was awesome, lots of classic bits from throughout his career, some new jokes and a couple clearly composed on the spot that night to reference Oprah being on right before him. The best line is his last one...minor spoiler ** 'what do you think you are, Mars or something' you need the context of course. **

Then his tribute at the end... you just have to see it for yourself.

I doubt there will be a more moving tribute in the last couple of episodes.

Damn, wrong category again... ah well...
Last edit: 16 May 2015 22:06 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, wkover, The King in Yellow, Black Barney, Green Lantern

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2015 22:07 - 16 May 2015 22:17 #202570 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic The End of Letterman
I'll watch it now, jj, thanks.

I don't watch letterman anymore but I'm really going to miss him. He's all I watched in university. I saw the drew flash, the Madonna swearfest all as they happened. I watched so much of him for years that I can't deny that he had a huge influence in my humor.

CNN posted top reasons why Dave is a comedy god and the tacobell drivethru clip is priceless. I had to stop watching it at work, I was disruptive with my laughing. I thought about it today while driving and started laughing in the car. Four yr old Emily asks, what's so funny daddy? I had no idea how best explain

On the serious side, I thought no one in broadcasting is more human when they have a moment of reflection. Dave's 9/11 opening was really powerful. Not to equate banging interns with tragedies, but when he confessed to sleeping with interns, that was something as well.

Ok, i'll watch this norm thing now. I love that jimmy Kimmel cancelled Wednesday's show cuz he said no one else should be watching anything other than Dave.

Edit.... wow jj, that's an awesome vid. My eyes welled up
Last edit: 16 May 2015 22:17 by Black Barney.

More
17 May 2015 01:10 #202576 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic The End of Letterman

Black Barney wrote: Edit.... wow jj, that's an awesome vid. My eyes welled up

I straight up cried, twice... and then again while explaining it to someone I started tearing up again... so strange.

Then again it probably doesn't mean that much, the last few years I've been very open to crying and any little thing can set me off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
17 May 2015 17:27 #202588 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic The End of Letterman
I also grew up on Letterman. He was a staple of my evening diet all through high school and college. I was all about the sarcasm and goofy humor, and he had (has) that in spades.

I haven't watched him hardly at all over the past 15-20 years, though. For some reason my nighttime hours became filled with other distractions.

One cool thing is that I was able to watch a live Letterman taping (first one) this past October. My sister's lifelong wish was to see the show live, and we drove up to NY from Maryland during her east coast visit just to catch it. The guests were Lenny Kravitz and Denzel Washington. Not a perfect show, but lots of fun.

More
18 May 2015 06:11 - 18 May 2015 06:13 #202597 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic The End of Letterman
I grew up with Letterman and he was huge in high school and college. I used to really like him. But he also conducted one of the most miserable interviews... Led Zeppelin in 2012 and I have kind of thought he is an asshat ever since. One of his questions: How would I describe the kind of music you produced?" What?!

Last edit: 18 May 2015 06:13 by scissors.

More
18 May 2015 12:53 #202615 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic The End of Letterman

JonJacob wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Edit.... wow jj, that's an awesome vid. My eyes welled up

I straight up cried, twice... and then again while explaining it to someone I started tearing up again... so strange.

Then again it probably doesn't mean that much, the last few years I've been very open to crying and any little thing can set me off.

I'm the same way lately, and I totally cried when I saw McDonald's closing that night.

More
18 May 2015 13:45 - 18 May 2015 14:02 #202617 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic The End of Letterman
I was always indifferent of Late Night talk show hosts, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Dave simply because I felt he had the best musical guests.

In fact, my favorite little bit of Letterman footage, is when he had Warren Zevon on for the whole show after Warren found out he was going to die of cancer. Dave was a big fan of Warren's and Zevon was not only on many times, but also filled in for Paul quite a bit.

Here's the last song Zevon played in his final live performance:

Supposedly, backstage after this taping, Warren gave Dave the guitar he used in all his Late Show appearances saying something along the lines of 'You were the best friend my music ever had."...or something like that.

Touching.

Enjoy Every Sandwich.

Last edit: 18 May 2015 14:02 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, OldHippy, stoic

More
18 May 2015 14:36 #202620 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic The End of Letterman
I have always been a morning person, so the late-night talk show was never a routine part of my life, except during college. Johnny Carson always seemed like he was playing it safe, so Jay Leno was a suitable heir to his show. Letterman by contrast seemed so awkward and odd that it was somehow perversely cool to watch his show. He had a wry sense of humor, but it always felt like he was letting the audience in on the joke, even to laugh at himself.

More
18 May 2015 23:27 #202653 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic The End of Letterman
I also loved what he did for Warren Zevon, and I love Zevon too... that song Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner was the best song in the world to me when I was a kid. It's still a great tune. He is certainly an under-recognized songwriter.. outside of that first album. Speaking of which Excitable Boy has to be the most disturbing song I've ever heard and partly because it doesn't seem disturbing at all based on purely melody or harmony... but lyrically it is damned brutal.

I just watched that Zepplin interview and it seemed fine to me. I don't think Dave was a huge fan really but he knew it was a big deal to interview them... I actually kind of like the question he poses.. most interviewers would say "you're known as the first metal band" or 'the loudest rock band' or... but he gives them the opportunity to choose their own words which I have to say as a musician I would much prefer. That said I'm not a huge Zepplin fan so I wouldn't be offended by how he understood them.

I, much like everyone else here, haven't really watched late night TV in years (other than multiple youtube clips) but when I do see them I prefer Daves big goofy grin. I like to think that Jay would have never allowed Andy Kaufmann so much leeway (who would back then), most hosts wouldn't have allowed Harvey Peaker (even though he bitched about it), late night hosts didn't have fights or let guests call them assholes on air (like Cher did).. Dave was kind of human.. yes, an ass too, but human none the less and it was refreshing at the time. Whenever I hear a little chunk of brutal honesty from John Stewart of Jimmy Kimmel I notice Letterman's comedic touch in it.

Still that was an awesome week-end for stand up. Norm on Friday night, Louis CK on Saturday night... you don't see that too often.

More
19 May 2015 08:32 #202657 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic The End of Letterman
Hm. Hey JJ, you're right, I went back and listened too. It didn't bug me like the first time I saw it. Maybe it was just that his floundering around that bugged me a bit before - as in, can't you ask one more informed question? But yeah, it's ok.

More
19 May 2015 08:52 #202660 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic The End of Letterman
I've watched JJ's Norm vid like 3-4 times now. I can't get enough of it. His jokes are so layered, they're insanely funny. "didn't MASH settle that like 20 years ago?"

In so many of his jokes, there are like 6 different ways they're funny. I love that guy.

I think my favourite part was, "you'd think that would be over in like 5 minutes, but turns out it was actually close!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
19 May 2015 09:04 #202661 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic The End of Letterman

Mr. White wrote: I was always indifferent of Late Night talk show hosts, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Dave simply because I felt he had the best musical guests.

In fact, my favorite little bit of Letterman footage, is when he had Warren Zevon on for the whole show after Warren found out he was going to die of cancer. Dave was a big fan of Warren's and Zevon was not only on many times, but also filled in for Paul quite a bit.

Here's the last song Zevon played in his final live performance:

Supposedly, backstage after this taping, Warren gave Dave the guitar he used in all his Late Show appearances saying something along the lines of 'You were the best friend my music ever had."...or something like that.

Touching.

Enjoy Every Sandwich.

I'm a long time Warren Zevon fan. I remember that show too. I also have very fond memories of meeting Warren Zevon in person when I worked a security detail for one of his concerts in New Orleans at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. His opening band was "X".

For any Zevon fans, let me give you a tip. Immediately go and download his live concerts and radio interviews on archive.org. You'll thank me later. It shows so much of his personality. ;-)

archive.org/search.php?query=warren%20zevon
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Mr. White, OldHippy

More
20 May 2015 08:57 #202717 by Mr. White
Warren Zevon and X would be an amazing bill.

Good on ya!

More
21 May 2015 10:27 #202781 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic The End of Letterman
I like David Letterman, generally speaking, but he has seemed bored and ready to leave for years. The behind the scenes clip sort of underscored this. I guess he gets to work at six a.m., then sleeps for three more hours in a dedicated bedroom [insert joke] but then the rest of the time he was kind of cranky and uninterested. Of course, Conan seems the same way in his behind the scenes at work bit. Why do we even have all these talk shows? Conan, Letterman, Kimmel, Fallon, New Colbert guy, New Stewart guy, John Oliver, and whoever replaced Craig Ferguson. Everyone talks about late night television like it's world politics, and analyzes comedy like it is philosophy or something. Simon Pegg recently complained about spectacle-driven science fiction dumbing us down. I used to hate Neil Postman's "Amusing Ourselves to Death" but now I want to read it. Perhaps this crankiness is related to my brain shrinking as I get older.

www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/may/19/...mbing-down-of-cinema

More
21 May 2015 10:39 #202782 by Mr. White
Looks like Simon followed up that article.

simonpegg.net/2015/05/19/big-mouth-strikes-again/

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds