October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Sorry, but the world is full of shit: Road Kill Rally

More
14 Jun 2015 14:19 #204267 by SuperflyPete
So, I listened to people drone on about how Road Kill Rally is shitty. How it's a waste of time.

Well, those people are completely full of shit. Yes, the rules leave a few things to be desired. Maybe that's 90% of the hand-wringing. But I have to say, it's TOTALLY underrated. I played from 1:30 to 3AM last night and had a blast. I wasn't even intoxicated.

Opinions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2015 16:11 #204271 by charlest
I like it as long as you use the shorter game variant, the default setup can overstay its welcome in my opinion. This and Rush 'n Crush are the best discount race games.

More
14 Jun 2015 16:43 #204273 by SuperflyPete
I think Rush and Crush is the best racing game ever made; it's infinitely more of a simulation than Formula De (although Rallyman is closer), if you take out the guns and whatnot.

We played it with the Finish in the last 4 tiles (it was the top of the 4, so only 3 tiles went unplayed), and it was epic.Not Spartacus epic, but epic enough, especially for something I got in trade for Munchkin. I think the only shitty part of the game is that you have to roll to crash on every single space. We just said that when you enter any NEW colored space during a turn you had to roll. Thus, if an orange line is 10 spaces long, you roll the first time you encounter it, then roll again the next turn if you move onto a colored space. Rolling for EVERY MOVE is tedious and overly punitive.

Still, shooting grandma with a 4-dice rocket launcher and imagining the tennis balls and granny slippers being the only thing left was HILARIOUS. Loved the game, playing it again tonight but with 5.

More
14 Jun 2015 19:24 #204280 by SebastianBludd

SuperflyTNT wrote: I think the only shitty part of the game is that you have to roll to crash on every single space. We just said that when you enter any NEW colored space during a turn you had to roll. Thus, if an orange line is 10 spaces long, you roll the first time you encounter it, then roll again the next turn if you move onto a colored space. Rolling for EVERY MOVE is tedious and overly punitive.

My only complaint about this game is the length so I think that any variants that shorten it are worth exploring. For being an unofficial adaptation of Death Race 2000 it can bog down instead of being a loony, free-wheeling death sport like the movie was. Your variant sounds brilliant and I might bust out my copy soon to try it out.

My favorite bit of dark humor in the game is how one of the cards is candy that helps you score extra for children, and how one of the tiles is a boy scout camp as mentioned in DR2000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
14 Jun 2015 19:25 #204281 by engineer Al
I have never played RKR, but have often wondered about it. It LOOKS pretty fun, judging from the back of the box, but it's dreadful reputation has always kept me away. I did find that R&C was more fun than it had any right to be, though I am unsure about "The best racing game ever made."

More
14 Jun 2015 22:15 #204285 by Josh Look
It's not a terrible game by any means, but it most certainly not a great one. It definitely runs way too fucking long, and that might even keep it from being a good one in my book.

More
15 Jun 2015 02:24 #204292 by SuperflyPete
Not sure how long is "too long", especially when there's only so many tiles.

I think the sweet spot is to dump 4 tiles, then load the finish line into the bottom 4. Then, only roll for the crash check when //changing colors// during a move or at the beginning of a new turn when entering a space with a color that causes a crash check. Then, finally, when one player finishes, the rest just play out the final turn. If they cross the finish, they score the finish position bonus, but if not, they don't get shit.

That takes 99% of the bullshit out of the game, truncates it to about 1-1.5 hours with 4 players (and that's a lot of slow play) and it puts a lot of emphasis on speeding/risk taking and trying to shoot the fuck out of the leader.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds