October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Revisiting: Earth Reborn

More
17 Jul 2015 22:23 #206489 by ChristopherMD
Once again curious to how a game that was initially well received and stayed popular for a while is still holding up. How has this held up? Are you still regularly playing it? Is it a shelf toad for you now? Did you sell it or trade it with no regrets? Has it been replaced by something you prefer?

Previously Revisited:
DDAS Games
Galaxy Trucker
Neuroshima Hex
Decent 2nd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, scrumpyjack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2015 22:47 #206490 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Revisiting: Earth Reborn
I hadn't played Earth Reborn in a long time until about a month ago where I managed to get all the scenarios played but stopped short of the SAGS (?) scenario generation thing.

It's still a great game, and allows you to do so much more than just about any other tactical game of this scale. The one major problem it suffers, and the reason that it had made it to my trade/sell pile, is that there are a lot of rules to internalize before the game really opens up. The game is truly fantastic if you and a gaming buddy have the rules down pat. Unfortunately I find it really difficult to get back into if you don't play it regularly. I know the potential is there from experience but every time I go back to it after an absence I end up playing all the regular scenarios again to regain my grasp on that potential. I'll miss it if/when I get rid of it, but if I'm honest with myself I know I'll never truly invest the time in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, scrumpyjack

More
18 Jul 2015 04:44 - 18 Jul 2015 14:04 #206495 by MacDirk Diggler
You have me beat by a mile Wadenels. I have had it since it's release and have not played it once. Keep meaning to dig into it with a friend nearby who REQUESTS we play it. But we have hectic lives and when we get together it's usually with a larger group to play four player stuff.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2015 14:04 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
18 Jul 2015 14:01 #206513 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Revisiting: Earth Reborn
Doc M and myself played through the last scenario just a week or so ago and hope to try out something new in it tomorrow night. I'll report back on how that goes but we are definitely trying to get back into the system and work with the SAGS this time around. Like most people we just played through the scenarios (some multiple times) and then stopped as we had run out of steam. This time we already know the game so we're just jumping into the SAGS as soon as possible. Based on the one play we had it felt really good pretty much instantly. After an hour or so I was back in the swing of things and it felt great. The versatility and level of detail is unparalleled by pretty much any mini's game. I can't really justify having a bunch of two player mini games but Earth Reborn is one that will stick around because no other game even attempts to do what it does. There are times when extra detail just feels like fluff or unnecessary chrome but in ER all the details don't feel like that, they feel like legitimate strategies to be used. Once the garish iconography is figured out these details aren't even that difficult to understand. It's really a phenomenal system that is just screaming for an expansion but what I want to know is that if we just jump into the SAGS how much game is really here?

There is a scenario generating program on the ER webpage where gamer's can create and upload their scenario's and then other people can vote on them. I might play around with that. If the SAGS looks good I may even try to make some extra dudes for the game, the scale is common enough that it's possible and someone over on BGG already did some grunt work that looks promising.

I am still pumped about this game but admittedly it is intimidating and it's only bringing it back out that makes me feel better about having kept it so long. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD

More
18 Jul 2015 23:54 #206529 by hotseatgames
I think the game is super cool, and equally hard to get to the table. I played it about a month ago, and prior to that it sat dormant for a year at least. The issue here is that setup is so involved, and there's always such a rules refresh that it's hard to get motivated. I've never had the opportunity to try SAGS but I do want to get to it some day.

My set is fully painted, and I admire the accomplishment of making the game so much, there's no way I'd ever part with it.

It's very possible that Incursion could put this game on the shelf for even longer than it would have been normally, but I still can't say since at this point I think I'll be the last damn Kickstarter pledger to get his game.

More
19 Jul 2015 10:13 - 19 Jul 2015 10:13 #206537 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Revisiting: Earth Reborn
Earth "Bid for OpFire" Reborn.

Didn't hook me at all. It's a game with interesting but totally unnecessary interface.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2015 10:13 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
20 Jul 2015 11:17 #206569 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Revisiting: Earth Reborn
I got this recently and my daughter and I have been going through the scenarios. We just finished scenario 3 where we learned how to shoot. It's a great game and we're loving it so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
20 Jul 2015 12:19 #206587 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Revisiting: Earth Reborn
I love Earth Reborn and it's sat as my #1 game for the past few years. I feel it still holds up and had a hell of a SAGS game last year.

I reviewed it last year as well:
www.2d6.org/2014/06/earth-reborn-a-long-overdue-love-letter/
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
20 Jul 2015 23:02 #206633 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Revisiting: Earth Reborn
SAGS last night was great. Set up was a bitch but I imagine that now that we know how it should take about 15-30 min, that's a good chunk of time honestly but the game warrants it and set up is actually kind of fun. I liked building the map, it's not really a strategic thing so you don't have to worry about thinking too much (thank God), although there is a little of that.

Once we had fumbled our way through the way more esoteric than it needs to be rules for the SAGS system is did flow pretty well. The way the mission points are handed out and what the symbols represent is about as counter intuitive as possible, we both commented on how fucking atrocious the design in general is. It works well once your playing but there are a lot of features that make trying to learn this game as difficult as possible and it needlessly hurts the game. I feel like this game, once learned thoroughly, can be easily taught to a fellow gamer as a SAGS with no tutorial pretty quickly, but the system as it's laid out makes it seem much harder than it actually is. It's part of why the game failed in my mind, even though I absolutely adore it and pray for an expansion every time I see it. A couple of new armies would be all I really want from it... that I would kickstart.

The mission cards are fucking awesome and more could easily be added, the gameplay itself during SAGS was every bit as good as during the scenario's if not better. I think I enjoyed playing last night more than I do with the scenario's. It worked wonderfully as a scenario generation system. Every bit as clever as FFG's campaign system for Imperial Assault. It's odd to go back to a game after such a long hiatus and just completely fall in love with it all over again.

I definitely want to play the SAGS more (Doc M willing, and I think he is) and get even better at it.

While playing last night I kept finding all these different strategies I hadn't thought of before. I had so goddamn many 'ah ha' moments that it was hard to keep one unified strategy throughout the game. It felt every bit as robust and versatile strategically (and tactically) as it did detail wise... which is what it's most famous for. Every single option I had was cool, useful and tempting... and there were plenty of times to try out cool new tactics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, MacDirk Diggler, Frohike, mikecl

More
21 Jul 2015 00:33 - 21 Jul 2015 01:15 #206638 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Revisiting: Earth Reborn
WRONG THREAD!
Last edit: 21 Jul 2015 01:15 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
21 Jul 2015 00:50 #206640 by SuperflyPete

Sevej wrote: Earth "Bid for OpFire" Reborn.

Didn't hook me at all. It's a game with interesting but totally unnecessary interface.

could not have said it better.

More
21 Jul 2015 20:16 #206697 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Revisiting: Earth Reborn
LOVE. THIS. GAME. I roll dice like shit and my tactics suck but the game and the SAGS system are awesome.
I still think the graphic design is SHIT. It makes learning the game far more difficult than it should be. I'm looking forward to plenty more games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, OldHippy, mikecl

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds