October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadows of Malice MEGATHREAD

More
05 Feb 2016 11:00 #221790 by Gary Sax

charlest wrote: I need to get it back out too. I get distracted with new games and forget about it, but every time I see it on my shelf and remember how much fun I've had I feel the pull.

May play it this weekend. It has a relatively small footprint, which is great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2016 11:02 #221793 by xthexlo
If you have the expansion, you may want to try out the lux-lock path to victory. Details may be found at: boardgamegeek.com/thread/1488882/new-path-victory-som
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
31 Jul 2016 00:13 #231150 by Gary Sax
The Zimby Mojo thread made me bring this out solo. 3 avatars, one map, a pretty small experience. It should have been easy since I started with the treasures but I ended up blowing it on a really bad decision not to bring a 3rd avatar into the final apocalyptic battle against the guardian.

One thing about the game that often escapes me is that short of the final boss typically the guardians are the hardest things to fight you'll face w/their -3 modifier (at least. Typically the little shadows that pour through the gates are much, much easier so just cleaning them up as they come and getting stronger can be a good mood.

I still think the great weakness of the game is the wristage modifiers. But I don't like the fix for it, rolling up the modifiers on the initial combat for equipment and not modifying them again. Averaging out all those die rolls ends up being kind of important when you have a band of 2-3 avatars.

More
24 Aug 2016 09:29 #232715 by san il defanso
I have a copy of Zimby Mojo inbound this week, so I was inspired to set up a solo game last night, three avatars on a two-hex map. The first shadow that made it through found a light well right away and manifested Xulthul early. My avatars were in an okay spot, but they couldn't roll to save their lives, and all three were defeated.

I abandoned the game when I realized I'd been playing the whole thing without rolling a d6 for every member of a band in combat. To put it mildly, that would have helped a lot.

There are a lot of modifiers kicking around in this game. I stick to a player aid more in this game than any other title I can think of besides Arkham Horror, which is not a great quality. This is a much easier game in terms of structure and a richer one in term of narrative (to me), so I'm willing to put up with it. But it's incredibly baroque, and I can see why that would turn off some people. I will say, managing modifying rolls is a lot easier with all of the different kinds of dice, since you can often combine a single large die with a lot of little ones to manage d* rolls and stuff like that. If anything I could maybe even use MORE dice, which is crazy for a game that comes with two dozen of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

More
24 Aug 2016 09:42 #232716 by san il defanso
I also really missed the social component last night, which made me reflect on one of the hidden strengths of Shadows of Malice: its social component. Every time I've played with people it has generated a terrific amount of social interaction around the table. I'm not sure if it's because of the banding mechanic, which forces the players to divide out into different teams and form a sort of unofficial identity. Or it could be the monster generator, which gives shape to the different stuff that happens to the players. But either way, it's an extremely social game.

The game plays pretty well solo, but over on BGG (and to a lesser extent here as well) it's developed something of a reputation as a solitaire game first and foremost, which isn't really the case at all. All of my best sessions have been with more people, and I think it's at its best with other humans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xthexlo

More
24 Aug 2016 10:43 - 24 Aug 2016 10:43 #232717 by Gary Sax
The possibility of shared identity (that can be pretty much broken at any time) is a insightful comment. I've inly payed this solo but I can totally see that.

Also, talk about the most brutal rules overlook of all time!
Last edit: 24 Aug 2016 10:43 by Gary Sax.

More
24 Apr 2017 14:07 - 24 Apr 2017 14:10 #247076 by Gary Sax
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1768453/rev...mparing-shadows-mali

This boardgamegeek review/session on Shadows is just great!
Last edit: 24 Apr 2017 14:10 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, JEM, xthexlo

More
08 Nov 2017 10:12 #257249 by xthexlo
If anyone is interested in a teaser for the new, in-development Shadows of Malice expansion, here's one:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
12 Dec 2017 09:05 #258953 by xthexlo
I'll be releasing a free print-and-play expansion to Shadows of Malice, hopefully in the next two weeks. It will bring City actions, cultists, and corruption into the game, along with a new victory condition.

You'll need the base game to play, but not the first expansion. If you have the first expansion, this new expansion will offer additional uses for Lux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
12 Dec 2017 09:53 #258954 by SuperflyPete
I’ve often wondered why you don’t do a 2nd Edition of this (using the same bits and box et al) where you rewrite the rules to streamline everything. Same with Zimby. Seems that you have a fountain of input and willing participants to help guide that endeavor and the result would be no longer a flawed masterpiece but just a masterpiece.

For me, that’s what Messr. Ausloos did with Panic Station. It was really hard to understand and then he updated the rules (repeatedly, and too late to save it, sadly) which turned it into one of my top games that year.

Upload the rules to the website and BGG and BAM, huge value, maybe more sales if you can get some press to pick up the announcement, and a legacy of pure awesome.

Just my 2c.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xthexlo

More
12 Dec 2017 10:11 #258957 by xthexlo
Funny you should say that... I am actually working on second addition plans for both games.

Shadows 2 will have improved components, more terrain maps, upgraded artwork, streamlined rules, and potentially incorporate both expansions. It may also include two additional energy forms: sonic and psychic.

Zimby 2 will have streamlined rules, unique tribal abilities, and should clock in at faster playing time (target 90 minutes at full capacity).

My limitation is time and capital at this point. In addition, I have one new game to launch next year and three more in development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
12 Dec 2017 10:46 #258959 by repoman
Well, that's cool news. A new expansion. If you do produce the 2nd edition, if possible, it would be cool for us early adopters to have a chance to buy a set of the new map tiles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
12 Dec 2017 14:07 #258967 by SuperflyPete
Time...that’s the tough one.

More
13 Dec 2017 08:13 #259017 by xthexlo
I started the rule book for Shadows of Malice with a short, one page background story, and continued that with the first expansion, Seekers of a Hidden Light. The upcoming expansion (currently entitled Hunger of a Shadow Vile) will continue that tradition.

The new expansion deals with the battles in the Cities between the Soldiers of Light and Xulthul's cultists, and introduces corruptors to the game along with new uses for Lux. I've posted the current version of the opening story for the new expansion at BGG. You can check it out here:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1900893/opening...y-upcoming-expansion

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
24 Dec 2017 11:28 #259562 by xthexlo
Hunger of a Shadow Vile, the second expansion to Shadows of Malice, is now available for download. It is a free print and play -- and a little Christmas gift for the people who have been so kind to me since I released Shadows of Malice way back at GenCon 2014. The expansion highlights the Cities of the game and opens up the story line to include the battle between the Lumosari (the Luxwardens of Aethos) and the Shahudiri (the Cultists of Xulthûl). It also provides a new ability for a new creature concept (the corruptors), and a new victory condition: City purification (since Xulthûl feeds on the hatred, fear, and dark emotions of the people of Aethos, you can starve it by purifying all the Cities)! The first expansion, Seekers of a Hidden Light, is not required to use this new expansion... but Hunger of a Shadow Vile does offer new uses for Mystics and Lux!

There are three files to download: the rule book, the cards, and the map and tokens. You can download the three files from deviousweasel.com at deviousweasel.com/game-info-1 or from Boardgamegeek at boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/242...e-hunger-shadow-vile .

Oh yeah... the tokens. I intended them all to be single sided since it was a print and play. If you want, you can make the purified/putrified city tokes front/back. But, to be entirely honest, I didn't give this a lot of thought since I wasn't designing token boards.

Enjoy the expansion! And thank you again for your kindness and support!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Cranberries, Frohike, wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds