October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk: Fantasy Games Combat Systems

More
28 Jul 2015 22:50 #207340 by Pat II
Whats wrong with Nexus Ops? Awesome game. Great simple yet painful combat. I'm liking the various elements of Forbidden Stars as well, with the tokens, dice and cards all playing their own role..and reinforcements.

Runewars was/is fun but that game could have used a few dice for good measure.

I've been eying up Clash of Cultures and almost grabbed a copy last week, but decided against it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2015 23:08 #207341 by Gary Sax
You should, Clash is sooooo good.

More
28 Jul 2015 23:33 #207343 by VonTush
I tend to favor systems that are quick, efficient and resolute. Card draw like in Wings of War/Glory, Card draw then dice roll like Mansions of Madness, Handful-o-dice with a target number like Chaos in the Old World or the good old Swords and Shields based off of stats like HeroQuest.

What I tend to not favor is pausing the action of the main game to setup a mini-game to resolve combat. I'll tolerate it to a point, especially in games like Fury of Dracula or Merchants and Marauders where combat isn't common. Then there are games like Dungeon Quest and Horus Heresy where I feel like the combat is more of a distraction from the main game causing focus to be lost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
29 Jul 2015 10:48 #207366 by quozl

Shellhead wrote: Though it's a CCG instead of a boardgame, I really liked the combat system in Jyhad, aka Vampire: the Eternal Struggle. Complicated but nicely thematic. The default is easy: two vampires walk up to each other and slap each other for one point of damage and then the combat ends. But depending on cards play, there can be maneuvering to determine if the combat at close range, possibly even a grapple that prohibits use of weapons. You might break your opponent's weapon or steal it. the combat could potentially go on for several rounds, and could even end in a decapitation. Opponents might be anything from regular humans to werewolves or even ghosts. You might use a magic spell or a chainsaw or even a rocket launcher.

This sounds really cool. Is there anywhere I can see more details of it? How easy would it be to port it to a boardgame?

More
29 Jul 2015 11:19 #207367 by Shellhead
Here is a long demo video:

If I had audio on my work computer, I would tell you where to fast forward to a sample combat. I will look into that tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl

More
29 Jul 2015 11:23 #207368 by Shellhead
How could somebody port the Jyhad combat system to a boardgame? It would need to be a card-intensive game, ideally with both lasting cards in the form of equipment (weapons and vehicles) and one-shot cards (maneuvers and use of special abilities). Have a basic combat structure with various phases for play of different cards or use of different equipment. Even better, color-code or otherwise emphasize which cards can be played in which phases, like the handling of special abilities in the FFG edition of Cosmic Encounter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl

More
29 Jul 2015 12:56 #207377 by Ken B.
My favorite combat system is a toss-up between:

-- The hit/miss dice (my favorite take on the system was in Siege of the Citadel, where you could upgrade your dice with stronger weapons/leveling)

-- Tiered Combat (Samurai Swords/Nexus Ops, others) where powerful units fire first, take casualties, next most powerful units, take casualties, so on and so forth. Always the painful choice of sacrificing a weaker guy that hasn't fired yet or a powerful dude that has already fired but cost you a lot of resources to get into play.

I will give an honorable runner-up to the most misplaced combat system of all time, DungeonQuest (FFG). I'm talking about the card combat. Delicious blend of reading your opponent, bluffing, and this nice little dance of building up toward a mega-death strike.

Completely out of place as a good duel could take three minutes, whereas the game could kill you with a card flip otherwise in 10 seconds. Way out of place.

I wish they'd thought to make a DungeonQuest spin-off battle game based around the system. Different warriors with special cards, play a best-of-3 duel. I think the reaction to the combat was so negative but for the wrong reason, that they may have thought it was a bad combat system. It wasn't, it was great, and could have carried its own game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds