October 09, 2023
2480 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Cadets: Away Missions at GenCon

More
01 Aug 2015 21:02 #207695 by ChristopherMD
Space Cadets Away Missions GenCon
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse, SebastianBludd, OldHippy, Josh Look, Ancient_of_MuMu, engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2015 21:28 #207697 by Josh Look
Yeah, that looks awesome.

It's surreal seeing this. This was one of the first games we played on FAThursday back when we started getting together a few years back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billyz, Gary Sax

More
01 Aug 2015 21:30 #207699 by ubarose

SebastianBludd wrote: I understand it makes sense to sell all the copies but it just strikes me as a little weird, like if a record label didn't give a musician a free copy of their new album. On the other hand, if it were me I'd be okay with waiting if it meant one more gamer enjoying it and talking it up to his friends.

Also, I can't believe how good it looks, I keep coming back to this thread to ogle that pic.

Typically the early copies would go to reviewers and designers. The timing with GenCon was against that happening. It's really not a big deal. If it doesn't sell out, we will be going home with our copies from WBC. If it does sell out we get more money, and our copies of the game within the next few weeks. I think the ETA for the games to start shipping is the end of August.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
01 Aug 2015 21:42 #207701 by engineer Al
Thnaks for the OP here SAG. You are right, this was the first time I've seen the end product. I've seen photos of the figures and of course proofs for all the art, but never everything together. Great to see the figures on the board and all the tokens and such in play. I was a bit nervous, but it does seem to look great. I am relieved. Now I just have to hope that everyone has fun playing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
01 Aug 2015 21:46 #207704 by engineer Al

Michael Barnes wrote: Looks really good- looking forward to executing one of my REALLY SUPER HYPER CRITICAL reviews on it!

I would expect nothing less. Don't forget to mention the acronym.

More
02 Aug 2015 12:08 #207728 by Dutch
Thanks for the kind words & good wishes, folks! I'm incredibly jazzed & psyched (and apprehensive and full of dread)... but it's a huge delight to see the game being played by real-life gamers!

It's often a challenge for me, but I'm really looking forward to shutting the hell up and letting new players figure out various tricks & techniques on their own.

And thanks x100 to everyone here on the Fortress for your support throughout this long process.

Dan
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus

More
02 Aug 2015 12:16 #207729 by Michael Barnes

engineer Al wrote: I would expect nothing less. Don't forget to mention the acronym.

I've already written the opening-

"The latest title to roll off the Kickstarter production line is SCAM..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
02 Aug 2015 21:50 #207764 by engelstein
Spending a lot of time at the Stronghold booth, I got to see the pre-paint samples they had there. They looked really sweet.

And the hardcover art book sample also looked really nice.

As far as designer copies go, same situation with Survive: Space Attack. Designer gets free copies - usually a case, so 6 or so. But when they fly in the first units for shows, those are always sold, or maybe given to a few top reviewers. The air freight is usually $20 per unit - maybe $30 for SC:AM. So those need to be sold to early adopters to make a profit, and also to get buzz going. Designer copies come off the boat shipments.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, engineer Al

More
03 Aug 2015 11:27 #207816 by engineer Al
This post on TOS makes me so happy!

"We did have fun! We were able to escape, but not by a lot. We got lucky and sealed a hatch that trapped a Sentinel in by himself, with no way of getting out; that was a huge boon for us. The elevator was the 4th possible tile (out of 6), so it could have been better, or could have been worse. I can already see the replayability in this game will be pretty high!

We attempted the 3rd scenario with friends, and had a tougher time. We had 5 Rocketeers, and were able to flip one switch, defeat the brain, and were well on our way to getting the second switch, when we lost. I talked a guy in to using an oxygen to defeat the Master Brain, leaving him with 1 oxygen left. Then a Leader hit him, with 1 overkill, which zapped his last O2, and we lost. We weren't sure we would do much better, though, because we were in Red Alert status and aliens were piling up on the shuttle."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Josh Look, repoman, Egg Shen

More
05 Aug 2015 09:03 #207995 by Sagrilarus
. . . . and I just got my Space Cadets: Away Missions drink coasters hand-delivered to me by my buddy, direct from Mr. Buonocore at GenCon. Very spiffy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds