October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Star Wars Gaming Megathread

More
21 Aug 2015 13:11 #208966 by charlest
I think it will be a quality game because Queen's Gambit's core system is solid. I think it won't be quite as cool as QG though because you're lacking the 3D tower and Luke/Vader can't join the battle once they win their fight. One of my favorite parts of QG is chopping the hell out of people in the palace with Obi-Wan or Darth Maul.

But yeah, I'm definitely buying it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2015 21:18 #209282 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Star Wars Gaming Megathread
I'm running a Scum fleet (100 points). Besides the IG88-B Aggressor being a beast is there any other recommendations? Or should I just stall until I pick up the YV-666 with a Looping Chewie co-pilot.

More
27 Aug 2015 09:36 #209394 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Star Wars Gaming Megathread
what to buy or what to run?

Scum y-wings are pretty awesome, with the BTL-A4 title or not. R4Agromechs make them extremely mean little ships.
z95s are Z95s....but they can take illicit, which is great for a feedback array.
Firespray - all 4 pilots are very good. Scum Boba and Kath are probably better than the imperial counterparts, Emon is comparable to Krassis, and great fun if you like Bombs. Mandalorian Merc can take something like PTL or Predator which really ups the potential of a generic ship.
HWK - I like all three named hwk pilots. Dace is alittle expensive, but works really well with Ion Cannon Y-Wings. His ability isn't really in your face, so he'll hang around alittle. Palob is just awesome. anything that denies actions to your enemy is mean. it also means he draws lots of fire.
Palob + Opportunist + k4 + Blaster Turret + Moldy Crow

Scyk is pretty crappy. you really need something else in the list to draw serious attention away from them. maybe the above palob + HLC Scyk who stays further back and throws R3 shots.
Starviper is just ok....the named Pilots work decent, its basically the Scum E-Wing. I like Guri with Predator/AdvSensors/Virago/Autothrusters
IG-88s are awesome (BCD not A)

I've seen IG88B run in dual IG form, IGB + PS10 Boba, IGB + z95 mini swarm, IGB + Viper + z95. the built in gunner is a big help against high agility Ace ships, which is probably Scum's biggest weakness right now.

More
27 Aug 2015 16:21 #209425 by KingPut
Thanks lj. This is very helpful. After a couple trial games. I'm leaning towards the duel IG88B and C with the big heavy cannon and some other cool upgrades.

More
29 Aug 2015 17:05 - 29 Aug 2015 18:10 #209573 by ChristopherMD
I don't know why, but this seems cool. If I had kids I'd definitely get it.

At least it make more sense getting shocked than the original.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2015 18:10 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SuperflyPete

More
03 Sep 2015 01:22 #209877 by KingPut

KingPut wrote: Thanks lj. This is very helpful. After a couple trial games. I'm leaning towards the duel IG88B and C with the big heavy cannon and some other cool upgrades.

I won 100 to 0 tonight with my "Jabba the Put" Scum ships which included an IG88 B and C with Heavy cannons, Veteran Instincts and Autothrusters. My B was untouched but didn't do much damage to the Imperials. My C was down to 2 hulls but chewed up the Imperial Tie swarm.

More
04 Sep 2015 11:55 #209976 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Star Wars Gaming Megathread
I am a big X-wing fan, and I am unhappy with the revealed new core set. FFG has done a great job up to this point of keeping ships relevant and limiting power-creep, sure some ships are better than others and some required a boost here and there, but this new box smells like power-creep.

Looking at the new X-wing- for a basic pilot with a skill of two, you get +1 shield, boost, another green maneuver, two new HARD 3 K-turns AND access to 'tech' for 3 more points then a standard issue X-wing Rookie Pilot. WTF? Why would anyone fly a normal X-wing anymore? An engine upgrade runs you 4 points and a shield upgrade is another 4, so should be 8 points not counting the other changes.

And the new TIE/FO is just almost as bad. Shield upgrade and access to Target lock plus new maneuvers for 3 points more than the equivalent TIE . At least here the took away a 3 k-turn. And Epsilon leader's ability to remove stress from all ships at range one... All? also seems really powerful.

Maybe I am wrong, but right now I am seriously disappointed in this move. I wonder if the new core, did not see the same level of playtesting due to Disney mouse ears of silence?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Green Lantern, Frohike

More
04 Sep 2015 12:04 #209977 by Michael Barnes
Wow, that is a shitty maneuver right there. I don't think there's any mystery as to what's going on here, they've "incentivized" the new core for existing players. You've got to have something to rope 'em in and dissuade painting a standard X-Wing black so you can fly Poe Dameron. I think this is the case more than any kind of attempt to bump up the X-Wing/TIE stats.

More
04 Sep 2015 12:14 #209980 by charlest
They will likely have an X-Wing "fix" in the future, which may mean this perceived power creep isn't as bad.

More
04 Sep 2015 13:24 #209986 by SuperflyPete
Well, I've long since divested myself of X-Wing in favor of Attack Wing: Star Trek, and then I divested myself of that game when the power creep started in. I was thinking about Dragon Wing or whatever, but then I realized that no matter how hard I wish and pray, there will always be a business dick in an office saying "We need to sell units, add more fucking cowbell!".

So, I'm pretty much set on never buying any of this shit. Armada really rustles my jimmies because the big, space battle games with fighters and capital ships are my favorite genre of gaming, bar none, but fuckin' A....too much shit, too much money, and too many expansions too soon to feed the tournament cunts.

I'll stick to stand alone games and my beloved A Call To Arms: Starfleet, which is still the best shoot-em-up in space that I've played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Frohike

More
04 Sep 2015 13:32 - 04 Sep 2015 13:37 #209988 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Star Wars Gaming Megathread
The X-Wing has been lagging ever since the B-Wing. So an X-Wing "fix" has been talked about for a while now.

This quote to me is more the incentive to buy the new core set, not the ships:

The Damage deck included in this box replaces the Damage deck included in the original X-Wing core set. If players have both, they should use the new deck included in this box.

Bought mine this morning by the way. Looks great and can't wait to try out these new OP ships. I'm leading the power-creep race! I also noticed that one of the local shop-keeps is listed as a playtester (among 48 others), I need to swing by and see if I can squeeze out of him what the two MIA Item Numbers are. My guess are these two ships again but in single packs.

They also did the "Learn to Play" rules and the "Rules Reference" split, cleaned up some minor things and made a nice tourney rules set with things spelled out in a bit more detail.

As to the power creep though...I think it's being overstated.
Specifically in that yes, the new X-Wing does have more movement options and seems like a value at just 3 points. What it allows is it to be more of an Arc Dodger. Look at the cost to do so though, Boost means you're not taking a T/L or Focus, the Talon Roll (the Hard Turn 180 Flip) causes Stress so no further Actions. So by using those options it comes at a cost of dice modification. And it is a weaker Arc Dodger compared to what can be done with TIE Interceptors.

Now, if you don't utilize those options and fly it like an old X-Wing you do have value there at a one point savings. So yes, a little creep but not as much as it would seem at first glance. What I found out a few games back when I had Push the Limit on every ship in my fleet was that just because I had the option didn't make it smart to use it every turn.

But of course actual play rather than rules-theory will yield better results.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2015 13:37 by VonTush.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern

More
05 Sep 2015 18:26 #210047 by Hex Sinister

edulis wrote: Looking at the new X-wing- for a basic pilot with a skill of two, you get +1 shield, boost, another green maneuver, two new HARD 3 K-turns AND access to 'tech' for 3 more points then a standard issue X-wing Rookie Pilot. WTF? Why would anyone fly a normal X-wing anymore? An engine upgrade runs you 4 points and a shield upgrade is another 4, so should be 8 points not counting the other changes.

It does sound kind of messed up. I hope the other guys are right. I don't play competively so it won't affect me TOO much but it could be a nuisance if these are out of whack. I saw the models at the store and man they look great though. Time to sell some ties.

More
05 Sep 2015 22:14 #210050 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Star Wars Gaming Megathread
I wouldn't sell those TIEs just yet. Think of the basic TIE swarm. Let's compare:
TIE - 8 ships (96 pts) vs TIE/FO - 6 ships (90 pts)
TIE - 16 Attack die vs TIE/FO - 12 Attack die
TIE - 24 hull/shields vs TIE/FO - 24 hull/shiedls

So in my view, a bit of a wash.

Then as far as the T-65, the B Wing already outclassed them so the creep already happened so this bitching is a few waves late. Using the T-65 as the baseline to compare the T-70 is comparing to a flawed baseline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, lj1983

More
05 Sep 2015 23:07 - 05 Sep 2015 23:14 #210053 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Star Wars Gaming Megathread
yeah the argument against powercreep is just like VonTush is saying. no-one flies X-Wings as it is...and there is much crying and gnashing of teeth over the name-sake of the game being under powered. The Tie Fighter on the other hand has fallen from its ascendant position in tournament lists, but that's driven by the Tournament structure and leftover effects from the Phantom Menace. it is still a helluva ship and isn't replaced by the TIE/FO. You'll see TIE/FO ships splashed in the ~20 point mark. which is a place that Imperials needed some options (now they have the TIE/FO, updated Advanced, the and the new Advanced Prototype). You can't make a 7-8 ship swarm with Tie/FOs...that hallmark will stay with the Classic Tie Fighter.

The X-wing...is in a rough spot. the B-wing is better in pretty much every way, except when chasing something fast. so compare the B-wing to the new T70 Xwing, and what you will find are two comparable ships, and a meaningful choice when building a list. that's what good design is about. The T65 fix will come out, and we'll see what it does. given how much fun the 'Fixed' Tie Advanced is, I think FFG will do a good job. but the xwing has lagged behind since wave 3.

Re New Damage Deck - word out of Nova (X-wing designers present there) is that the new damage decks will be required for tournaments starting in 2016, at the TO's discretion until then.

I hope the new upgrade "Tech" I think? stays with the new trilogy ships, just to keep them differentiated alittle better. BB-8 is great as an astromech, and will fit great on several of the named X-wing pilots (BB-8, PTL on Wedge, Luke or Poe? triple action, no stress, death dealing madness! BB-8 Barrel roll, PTL to focus, do green to clear stress, target lock..... target #1 here boys...Biggs will be a needed include again to keep wedge safe)

Its an interesting time for X-wing...and I think FFG is still feeling effects from the port Holdouts earlier in the year. I don't think they wanted the Raider, Wave 7, New Coreset and Wave 8 announcements to hit all at the same time practically. that much new product will scare people away. But wave 7 is going to drive people away from the 2 ship super builds I think. and that means more ships on the board, and so more opportunities for high firepower/low survivability ships, like the x-wing.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2015 23:14 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hex Sinister

More
06 Sep 2015 12:51 #210072 by Da Bid Dabid
Posted in Steals as well, but in case ya'll miss it. Toys R Us had 20% off all star wars board games for this week. I picked up and looked at both SW: Risk and Loopin Chewie, then set them down... for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds