October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dungeoneer - What do you Know?

More
03 Aug 2015 10:02 #207789 by repoman
I was thinking of dungeon crawls this morning and I was trying to remember which game Barnes was talking about prior to the release of Temple of Elemental Evil. Was it Super Dungeon Explore? Anyway, while searching for that game I came across some BGG listings for a card game called Dungeoneer.

From the description you use cards as tiles for your dungeon, cards for your characters, and cards for equipment and stuff and cards to foil your opponents on their turns with nasty take that type things.

Has anyone seen, played, encountered this game? It's been out for a while and has a bunch of expansions/self contained adventures. Seems like it could be cool and cheap or horrible and cheap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2015 12:08 #207823 by iguanaDitty
I played the first edition of the Tomb of the Lich Lord when it came out because it was cheap. It was not great. The best part are the peril rules where you collect peril by playing the game and your opponents get to play nasty stuff on you with the peril you've collected. Everything else felt kinda generic and meh. It played decent solo, but still barely worth the effort.

That said, a second edition came out with some changes and there are all the add-on adventures. Since I haven't played any of those I can't comment, and there is a base of a decent game in there somewhere which they may have accentuated.

For some reason the BGG description compares this game to Wiz War which is just not the case.

More
03 Aug 2015 12:45 #207828 by Michael Barnes
Repo, I think you were thinking about Super Fantasy...which is really good.

I had all of Dungeoneer around 2004-2005. It was very popular at my store, but in retrospect I think that had more to do with it being available than anything else. These days there are way more options.

But that Peril mechanic was actually really cool, ad it made the game competitive. You get peril from different rooms or effects, other players spend your peril as a resource to put bad stuff on you.

If I recall, the expansions weren't really seamless...environments were different.

More
03 Aug 2015 14:05 #207835 by The*Mad*Gamer

Repo, I think you were thinking about Super Fantasy...which is really good.

yes, Barnes was right on the money on Super Fantasy, enjoying this quite a bit!

More
03 Aug 2015 14:40 #207839 by Ken B.

Michael Barnes wrote: I had all of Dungeoneer around 2004-2005. It was very popular at my store, but in retrospect I think that had more to do with it being available than anything else. These days there are way more options.

Yeah, I was just getting into the hobby hardcore then and I remember looking around for dungeon crawl games. Saw Dungeoneer, but checking reviews and comments on it even then, a lot of folks were like, "Meh, well, it is a dungeon crawl game, so...."

Dungeon crawls were just not available then. They were so far out of vogue it wasn't funny. Then you see the work FFG did with Doom and then Descent, it was mind-blowing. I remember seeing the preview articles for Descent with the minis and going..."Really? Is this really happening?"

So anyway...it was considered "passable and cheap" back in the day. I'm not really sure how that would hold up now, if at all.

More
03 Aug 2015 15:00 #207843 by Josh Look
That peril mechanic sounds great. Sort of like how your opponents play villains against you in Marvel Heroes (one of the two good ideas in that game, the other being your attacks).

More
03 Aug 2015 17:22 #207875 by metalface13
Yes to everything everyone else said. There are so many more dungeon crawl options out there now.

More
03 Aug 2015 22:22 #207894 by iguanaDitty

Josh Look wrote: That peril mechanic sounds great. Sort of like how your opponents play villains against you in Marvel Heroes (one of the two good ideas in that game, the other being your attacks).

It really is a great mechanic searching for a game.
I think the first time I saw it was in the Decipher LotR CCG that was otherwise terrible.

All right, merging two threads together...how about melding the peril mechanic with the chit mechanic from Magic Realm? So the stronger chits you have available the more peril you generate...or something.

More
03 Aug 2015 22:38 #207895 by Ken B.

iguanaDitty wrote: It really is a great mechanic searching for a game.
I think the first time I saw it was in the Decipher LotR CCG that was otherwise terrible.

The first time I remember a game with that mechanic was the X-Files CCG. That was my favorite part of that game. I also remember when LOTR CCG came out, thinking, "oh cool, this has the X-Files thing going on." (LOTR CCG wasn't terrible....at least at first. The Fellowship block was good. Went to the complete shitter after that.)

Is there a game using this mechanic that predates the X-Files CCG?

More
11 Aug 2015 16:00 #208318 by the_jake_1973
I have nearly all of the sets high on a shelf in the back of the games closet. Near my copy of Loot. And Gloom. It's main benefit was that it was a small form factor dungeon crawl. The Peril/Glory mechanic was a nice 'take that' effect. I doubt it will ever see the light of day again.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds