October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Argent: The Neutrally Balanced Arrangement of Business

More
18 Aug 2015 17:19 #208776 by Michael Barnes
I am revising the Barnes Position on the expansion. Go ahead and get it.

It's REALLY good, and it actually doesn't make it more complicated. "In for a penny..." and all that.

It's set up in modules, so you can season to taste:

- Technomancers, which is a heavily information/research geared faction with their orange mages and some quite useful abilities, two new characters/spells. No brainer addition- you can alternately swap out one of the other factions for them if you don't want to use them all.

- Scenarios, which I love. Basically, these replace the plain ol' round cards and give more of a setting and usually some per-round effects. The one we did started everybody off with a powerful magic item. There's one where you can actually assassinate the voters and another where crazy shit happens like unoccupied rooms flipping over. It adds just another layer of setting to it all. They also modify the overall tone and goals.

- More Bell Tower cards, which I also love. This is a deck that replaces the standard Bell Tower cards. These are cards you can pick up as an action. The new ones expand the options there. Another very easy to implement addition.

- New rooms with awesome powers. Make golems and dump assets to synthesize magic items, for example. The rooms are more complex than the base game's, so these would be more for an "advanced game" session.

- A new elector that has a staff you have to control to get her vote at the end of the game- we didn't use this one, but it looked cool.

- New vault cards/supporters/spells- no brainer additions, just mix them in.

None of these increase playing time or rules overhead. Some of the new rooms are more complicated, but mostly everything is seamless. It's the right kind of expansion, offering a little more if you want to go for it.

One thing I am sort of not-so-positive about after a couple of plays is that there is a LOT of built-in redundancy. Like, there's 50 ways to wound a mage. It seems like there are too many sources for everything, at least in some configurations. There's almost always a way to get something you want/need, it's just a question if it's efficient enough to be worth it or if doing so is going to keep you from doing a different action.

Also, "Larimore Burman".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, airmarkus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2015 17:33 #208778 by ChristopherMD
This game is sounding so much like Harry Potter I'm surprised no cease and desist from Rowling yet. /sarcasm

More
18 Aug 2015 17:33 - 18 Aug 2015 17:33 #208779 by Gary Sax
With a big dose of bad manga/anime art.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2015 17:33 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, OldHippy

More
18 Aug 2015 17:44 #208781 by Space Ghost
The art so far is the main detractor for me -- final decision will be made after I hear Gary's take.

More
18 Aug 2015 18:05 #208782 by Michael Barnes
Let's all agree to not talk about the artwork while we are having a big ol' Argent hugfest, shall we?

When I take over, there will be book burnings that will include all extant English language copies of "How to Draw Manga and Anime Characters".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Josh Look

More
18 Aug 2015 19:58 #208788 by ubarose

Michael Barnes wrote: One thing I am sort of not-so-positive about after a couple of plays is that there is a LOT of built-in redundancy. Like, there's 50 ways to wound a mage. It seems like there are too many sources for everything, at least in some configurations. There's almost always a way to get something you want/need, it's just a question if it's efficient enough to be worth it or if doing so is going to keep you from doing a different action.

Also, "Larimore Burman".

I think it just depends upon what comes out during the game. I played one game where we had a lot of banishing and room closing, another where there were almost no spells because we only had one research space on the board, another with lots of money and mana.... It seems to play out differently every time.

Thanks for the info on the expansion. There is so much in the base game that we haven't even gotten to yet that I couldn't image getting bored enough with the game to want an expansion for a very long time. But having different bell cards would be a good thing. Grabbing the +IP card has become a thing with the folks I play with. The heal a Mage card is kind of bogus if you havn't got someone in the infirmary.mthe scenarios sound interesting too.

More
18 Aug 2015 21:53 - 19 Aug 2015 06:18 #208793 by Gary Sax

Michael Barnes wrote: One thing I am sort of not-so-positive about after a couple of plays is that there is a LOT of built-in redundancy. Like, there's 50 ways to wound a mage. It seems like there are too many sources for everything, at least in some configurations. There's almost always a way to get something you want/need, it's just a question if it's efficient enough to be worth it or if doing so is going to keep you from doing a different action.

You can sort of see why they had to do this. They literally *could not* have games where, like, you couldn't do any researching of spells. Rare and ass backwards way of doing it creates a charming corner case game that everyone at the table remembers, but getting rid of some game element entirely for a match is different.

I got out Argent and played one of those schizo solo plays to make sure I got the rules. The dude with the fireballs vs. the one who can banish and then wound someone. It was quite cool, but it's hard to express just how mean this game is. It simultaneously has finely balanced and critical timing elements (resolution stage with merit badges, gold earnings, subsequent buys that require just the right amount of gold, mana or badges, etc---stuff that make placements depend on one another) while having the ability to simply torch the opponent's workers with spells, etc. I can see why no-one on BGG is really talking about this game. It's not chaotic, really, in the actual sense of the world---you're not sitting around rolling dice to see if something works, it is a question of if that guy across the table is going to spend some resources to throw a fireball at your perfectly timed engine---it's just so unforgiving. The twist is that it is simultaneously unforgiving for all the players and there are steps you can take to protect against the take that but you have to really prioritize what parts *have* to work. So I think everyone at the table has to make their resolution phase as resilient as possible to the 10 things your opponents could do to fuck it up.

Anyway, that's not an endorsement. I have no idea if the game works in real conditions. But it is interesting when you see a game played. In the setup I had, there were no extra ways beyond the required room to get supporters but there were a fuck-ton of resource, spell and vault stuff available.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2015 06:18 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, airmarkus, Scott_F

More
19 Aug 2015 00:22 #208803 by airmarkus
I appreciate all the replies too. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this one. The only thing holding me back is the fact that this may not go over with the majority of people I game with, but there are a few folks who would. I think I will end up getting it most likely and all this information has been very helpful.

More
19 Aug 2015 03:01 #208805 by ubarose
Yep. This game is brutal, which is probably one of the reasons I think it is fun. Last game we played someone had a legendary spell that rearranged all the mages in a room. It took so long to get it and research it that it wasn't used until the last turn, but it totally boned everyone. Hysterical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, airmarkus

More
19 Aug 2015 06:19 #208807 by Gary Sax

airmarkus wrote: I appreciate all the replies too. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this one. The only thing holding me back is the fact that this may not go over with the majority of people I game with, but there are a few folks who would. I think I will end up getting it most likely and all this information has been very helpful.

Yeah, I'm in a bit of the same situation. My guess is it'll go up like a lead balloon with my spouse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: airmarkus

More
19 Aug 2015 08:57 - 19 Aug 2015 13:32 #208810 by Gary Sax
A question about strategy (maybe about rules?), maybe someone could clear something up---

The Wall spell (there's a green one too) that prevents the opponent from using spells on your guys. Lvl 2 prevents any harm to your dudes from any source. I don't understand why you'd ever bother with it even though in theory it seems cool. It's an "Action" (not even a fast action) and it gives immunity to your dudes until next turn for one mana. But... since it's an action to use it, why would you ever use it? You surrender the ability to do anything but fast actions for a turn, then the next turn you're in exactly the same position as you were before. You can't even run down the timer in the meantime while you protect your mages since it's an action to take the cards.

It has the reaction shield on it, I assume this just means its power works like a reaction, not that it's played like one?
Last edit: 19 Aug 2015 13:32 by Gary Sax.

More
19 Aug 2015 13:26 - 19 Aug 2015 13:27 #208829 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: A question about strategy (maybe about rules?), maybe someone could clear something up---

The Wall spell (there's a green one too) that prevents the opponent from using spells on your guys. Lvl 2 prevents any harm to your dudes from any source. I don't understand why you'd ever bother with it even though in theory it seems cool. It's an "Action" (not even a fast action) and it gives immunity to your dudes until next turn for one mana. But... since it's an action to use it, why would you ever use it? You surrender the ability to do anything but fast actions for a turn, then the next turn you're in exactly the same position as you were before. You can even run down the timer in the meantime while you protect your mages since it's an action to take the cards.

It has the reaction shield on it, I assume this just means its power works like a reaction, not that it's played like one?

There is a little sub game of playing chicken with red mages. Players usually save their red and blue mages to place at the end of a round, trying to be the last to place. Sometimes you get to the bitter end with everyone having nothing left that they can do other than to place a red Mage or take a bell card. If you cast that spell at that time, you can force the other players to use up their red mages on other players. You preserve your spots, and get to place your red mage last. This spell is most helpful in the earlier rounds when players don't yet have things other than mages that can harm you.

Finally, the spell is also a point towards various vote conditions. I've taken it just for that reason, and never used the spell.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2015 13:27 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Aug 2015 14:17 #208836 by ubarose
A couple more things to keep in mind regarding spells.

The more powerful the spell, the more mana it costs to cast, which provides balance.

The entire spell card taps when you cast any spell on it. So even if you have learned all the spells on a card, you will typically only be able to cast one of them in a single round.

It is a lot harder to cast spells then it seems. You have to get a research action just to have the opportunity to learn a spell, and then you also have to have the wisdom or intelligence to actually learn it. Finally, you have to have the mana to actually cast it. Mana is typically pretty tight, especially since you need to spend one to use your red Mage power.

The level 1 spells are mostly kind of lame. The level 3 spells are typically very costly. So when deciding which spell to draft, you should probably be eyeing the level 2 spell, since that is the one that you are most likely to use, provided you can get the card up to that level. Of course you also will be keeping in mind any voter conditions you know about.

More
19 Aug 2015 15:30 #208844 by Gary Sax
Thanks for the tips. Spells do seem of limited utility until you consider that they're the victory condition for many of the voters. Thought of as a sweeting of the pot for spending resources winning...

Also, another thing about the spells is that it takes an entire action to use them. I can see that being another pretty steep cost since the game doesn't guarantee you have time to place all your workers.

More
19 Aug 2015 17:57 #208853 by themothman421
This game looks fuckin' rad, and as it turns out a buddy of mine has a copy that he's going to bring to our game night this week. He also said he is bringing the "summer break" expansion, which sounds lame/great. From reading this topic, I am afraid some of the resident pacifists in our group will have a hard time getting over the aggression, unless I can somehow justify it thematically or point out that the "aim of the game" is to get points, and that any "meanness" is a bi-product of trying to get points, or something.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds