October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

GF9 teases 'Family Guy: Stewie's Sexy Party Game'

More
31 Aug 2015 15:43 #209679 by drewcula
www.gf9.com

From their 8/24/15 news page, we have pictures and a synopsis.

Hmmm......

24 August 2015
Family Guy: Stewie's Sexy Party Game
Great news for Family Guy fans, as well as everyone who enjoys hilarious and irreverent games.
The next release from Gale Force Nine games is a side-splitting, fast-paced word game of questional social value... not really suitable for anyone.
Spin the spinner! Earn martinis! Offend your friends and relatives! It's Stewie's Sexy Party!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2015 15:51 #209680 by Shellhead
I'm a big fan of Gale Force Nine boardgames, but I expect that this Family Guy boardgame will be a misfire. It's hard to make boardgames funny, and the source material in this case is pretty weak. Brian and Stewie were sometimes funny, but the rest of the show was generally bad. Those sample cards don't look particularly funny.

More
31 Aug 2015 16:59 #209687 by Egg Shen
I bet this is a misfire with gamers...but it will end up being their biggest seller. Looks like a vulgar party game which have been en vogue since Cards Against Humanity rose to power.

I'm not interested in it at this point, but GF9 has serious clout with me. So I cautiously keep my eye on this.

More
31 Aug 2015 17:12 #209689 by drewcula
I imagine I'll pass.

I'm with Egg. I suspect this game will sell like crazy to the casual gamer. Watching Cryptozoic sell their Archer party game at Gen Con was like watching aid relief after a hurricane. People couldn't get their copy fast enough.

More
31 Aug 2015 17:18 #209690 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I was thinking that this game is going to be that terrible combination of best selling and not any good.

From a business perspective, this makes a lot of sense although it feels like it's about six or seven years too late to really hit the peak of its popularity. But Family Guy sells merchandise, and there are still lots of fans. It also makes sense for this to be a party game in the vein of Cards Against Humanity (which is, I'm sure, inspired in many ways by the show).

I hope it does well for them, but I do think that it is one of those cases where even their biggest fans have to realize that they are not in business to make games strictly for their fans. I see this as having virtually zero traction with the hobby gaming crowd, but that's ultimately irrelevant in the larger scale of things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
31 Aug 2015 17:21 #209691 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, you know Drew, that's another thing about games like this...they are virtually zero risk and they likely are a higher margin for the publisher because they sell a HUGE number at cons of this kind of thing. Popular brand, simple/social game. Five people play it down in the gaming area, five people go upstairs to buy a copy from GF9. Those five go play it with others, it turns into a "thing" at the con. Other people buy it. Sells out.

I would bet that stuff like this is sold _primarily_ in this setting, moreso than online. But I think it'll do well at mainstream retailers too, whereas something like Archer is still maybe a little too fringe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
03 Sep 2015 19:43 #209915 by drewcula
Ugh. This synopsis makes it sound even worse (IMO)...

"Family Guy: Stewie's Sexy Party Game is a hilarious, fast-paced word game of questionable social value...not really suitable for anyone. Spin the spinner! Earn martinis! Offend your friends and relatives!

Each round, a new player is Stewie, the host of the party. Stewie spins the spinner to determine the theme of the party and draws a party card. Stewie's guests help throw the party by offering word cards to fill in the blanks of the party card. Guests score martinis by collecting sets of Family Guy characters on their word cards; Stewie scores martinis when the guests agree that the completed party card matches the theme. When the booze runs out, the party is over and the player with the most martinis wins!"

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds