October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

End of F:AT Thursday

More
04 Sep 2015 10:26 #209957 by repoman
End of F:AT Thursday was created by repoman
A gaming group is such a wonderful thing. If you have a regular group and if that group, by and large, shares your tastes in games, you are a lucky person. I'm not one to call our hobby bizarre because it really isn't. People have been playing and enjoying board games for thousands of years. But it is small and it is fragmented. So if you can find a group and if it is one where you do not have to occasionally or often suffer through games of a type you find displeasing, it is pretty rare.

I was lucky to be a part of one such group, The True Believers of F:AT Thursday. I look back at our collective lives since we formed our group and we've all had our ups and downs. Josh bought his first house. Al and Shellie's wonderful home burnt down and was rebuilt. I with my troubles of working for the family business. And a million other things, good and bad, but the game group remained constant. It was something to look forward to. If the week sucked, it was a place to go and bitch about it. If it was good, it was a place to go and tell about it.

We played games as well. Our shared interest was more of enjoying games that evoked the same feelings. We had our differences of course. Shellie's love of Arkham Horror, Josh's secret love of all things euro, and Al winning every game...every game....all...the...time. But it was cool. We respected our differences and allowed for them and so we got to play a lot of disparate games. From the relatively unheard of but super boxing game Knockout by VPG to the game of dress making, Rococo.

However, I start a new career next week which will prevent me from joining the gang on Thursday nights. Oh they will go on playing of course but, like the Beatles after Stuart Sutcliffe left, they may enjoy some small success but it will never be the same.

For our concluding session we went out strong. Egg Shen drove out from Rhode Island to be our guest star and we broke out the classic:

Fury of Dracula

As it was my last night I claimed dibs on playing Drac. The game started with me hovering around the South East of the board deep in the heart of Eastern Europe. The hunters were having a tough time picking up any trace of me until Al, as Mina, decided to read a local newspaper and read an article that indicated my presence way out in Zagreb. As the fools had taken such a long time to even get a whiff of my trail, a day had passed and one of my beautiful brides had matured into a vampiress. (I was so proud). They stumbled haphazardly onto a second baby-vamp and destroyed it but no matter. I was way ahead in the points.

Egg Shen was prowling around, quite close. He was becoming a nuisance. I made a phone call to his crazy ex-girlfriend (gypsy) and let her know where he might be found. She wasted no time in ambushing him screaming "Why Egg!!!? WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME?" as she ferociously stabbed the hell out of him with a knife. He was able to finally subdue her by braining her with a nearby lamp (punched her) but, like a classic 80's horror movie, just as the "everything's going to be alright" music starts to swell her eyes popped back open (relentless minion) and the fight was back on. Shen luckily was able to dodge her blows and flee into the night screaming over his shoulder "It's not you, it's me...." She is still out there somewhere...Egg's crazy ex-girlfriend.

By this time the hunters had me boxed in down in the south of Greece. I hopped a ship for a brief voyage to the Piedmont area of Italy. Al Rose, as Mina, was moving to block my path but so intent was he on pursuit that he failed to notice the sun had gone down. I leapt off the ship and gave him my best faux-count voice "Look into my eyes!!" Al raised a stake to drive it into my heart but to his dismay his body wouldn't not respond to his brain's commands. I bit Mina all to death and won the game!

So, not only did I get to play Fury of Dracula, not only did I get to play as Drac, not only did I win....but I won by killing Al Rose!

Victory was never so sweet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2015 10:30 #209960 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic End of F:AT Thursday
I'll be sure to send Shellie a "Grumpy Cat" stuffed toy to sit in your chair so they will not feel as empty for losing you ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
04 Sep 2015 10:34 #209964 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic End of F:AT Thursday
It was really nice of Al to let you win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, jeb

More
04 Sep 2015 10:37 #209965 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic End of F:AT Thursday
HA! He said the same damn thing.

More
04 Sep 2015 10:52 #209968 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic End of F:AT Thursday
It was a great time and I was glad to be a part of it. I think I could play Fury of Dracula once a week for a year and never tire of it. It's so damn good.

That encounter with the CBK (crazy bitch with a knife) was so utterly absurd. I was playing Dr. Seward and she cut me...she cut me deep. I went from full health down to about four. I swear we rolled the same die result at least 6 times in a row during that battle. Unreal.

I've only recently been coming down to play games for F:AT Thursdays, but everything Repo mentioned is true. They're just a great group of people to hang out with period. The boardgame playing just happens to be icing on the cake. Whenever I have the time to make the small voyage out to the secret lair of The True Believers I don't pass it up. It won't be quite the same without Repoman though.

More
04 Sep 2015 11:23 #209973 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic End of F:AT Thursday
Yeah, whatever, I've got all this new Star Wars shit to keep me happy.

*sniff*
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
04 Sep 2015 14:24 #209992 by Dutch
Replied by Dutch on topic End of F:AT Thursday
It's taken years to figure it out, but at last I recognize you: the Stu Sutcliffe of gaming!

Thanks for everything, man! Especially the fab haircuts.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds