October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What board games are you NOT buying?

More
30 Dec 2015 10:25 #218584 by SuperflyPete
If every counter ever was a laser etched or stickered tiddly wink, the world would be right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2015 20:57 #218688 by wesbaker

wadenels wrote: Nemo's War 2nd Edition.

I'm kind of bummed about it. I've been looking forward to this a while and I really dig the new artwork. It's on Kickstarter right now for $56, and the laser-cut tokens are a $25 add-on. Nemo's War to me will never be a $56 game, and sure as hell isn't an $81 game.

So I'll wait for it to hopefully land in a VPG sale or something.

Why are you adding the laser-cut counters? It comes with a set of die-cut counters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
31 Dec 2015 08:12 #218709 by wadenels

wesbaker wrote:

wadenels wrote: Nemo's War 2nd Edition.

I'm kind of bummed about it. I've been looking forward to this a while and I really dig the new artwork. It's on Kickstarter right now for $56, and the laser-cut tokens are a $25 add-on. Nemo's War to me will never be a $56 game, and sure as hell isn't an $81 game.

So I'll wait for it to hopefully land in a VPG sale or something.

Why are you adding the laser-cut counters? It comes with a set of die-cut counters.

I'm not adding anything, because I'm not buying the game. I listed that option because the laser cut counters are a common thing with VPG games lately.

More
31 Dec 2015 09:33 #218715 by fightcitymayor

iguanaDitty wrote: Yeah I am really on the fence here. I had the first edition ages ago which was great and all the changes they've made are only for the better...but the price with the laser-cut tokens is insane.

Made all the more bizarre when you check the BGG forums and the fanboys are just lapping it up over there. And I sit here saying, wait a minute: This was a $29.99 game not that long ago! I know they want to pimp out the components, but jeez, those folks must be hardcore cheerleaders to be so happy about paying $56 (+$11 shipping) for a game that used to be affordable. Hell, even the Nappy 20 series is $50-a-pop from VPG these days. I don't get it. But hey, if people really want to spend almost $70 to play a glorified chit-pushing solitaire game, be my guest.

I also think it's funny that Alan Emrich and the VPG crew don't really pay that much attention to BGG normally, but suddenly this Nemo's War Kickstarter has BGG's name (and reviewers) plastered all over it. "Bonuses for achieving Top-5 on The Hotness List!" Okay, dude, whatever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
31 Dec 2015 10:19 - 31 Dec 2015 11:06 #218718 by VonTush
I'm not buying the Merchants & Marauders Expansion because I can't find the damn thing anywhere.
I hope I didn't miss the *ah hem* boat on this one.

I'm sorry for that. (No I'm not).
Last edit: 31 Dec 2015 11:06 by VonTush. Reason: Hate it when a typeo messes up a good pun

More
31 Dec 2015 10:22 #218719 by Gregarius
Yeah, the price really bothers me on this one. I love the game, and have pimped out my old version (I never got around to redoing the cards, though). I backed it, but I'm uncomfortable paying that much for it. I'll be watching the deadline closely so that I can back out if I come to my senses.

More
31 Dec 2015 10:47 #218720 by charlest

VonTush wrote: I'm not buying the Merchants & Marauders Expansion because I can't find the damn thing anywhere.
I hope I didn't me the *ah hem* boat on this one.

I'm sorry for that. (No I'm not).

Not to make you feel worse, but definitely pick it up if you ever run into it. There's some really strong stuff in there.

More
31 Dec 2015 11:07 #218721 by VonTush
I swung by a game shop yesterday and they said "Well, we had two copies a couple of days ago". Bah!

More
31 Dec 2015 11:18 #218724 by Space Ghost

VonTush wrote: I swung by a game shop yesterday and they said "Well, we had two copies a couple of days ago". Bah!

I'll swing by my shop and see if we have any. If so, I'll send it your way
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, VonTush

More
31 Dec 2015 11:48 #218725 by gversace
I was looking forward to Nemo's War 2nd as well, but $67 shipped (I have no need for sooty counters) and its association with Ship Naked/Game Salute has me seriously reconsidering.

More
31 Dec 2015 12:47 #218731 by Sagrilarus
The "sooty" thing is overstated, they're just brown on the sides.

But I'll admit they aren't worth half that price difference. I thought Victory Point Games was all laser cut now. I'm surprised to see them offering die-cut.

More
31 Dec 2015 12:54 - 31 Dec 2015 12:54 #218732 by wesbaker

Sagrilarus wrote: The "sooty" thing is overstated, they're just brown on the sides.

But I'll admit they aren't worth half that price difference. I thought Victory Point Games was all laser cut now. I'm surprised to see them offering die-cut.

I think this is the first time they're doing die-cut, or at least one of the first times. I still think they're a really odd addition to the campaign. Sure, some folks may prefer them to die-cut (though I do not), but they're only adding confusion to an otherwise very simple campaign. Do you need the laser-cut counters? Why would I buy them? Does the game not come with cardboard counters?
Last edit: 31 Dec 2015 12:54 by wesbaker.

More
31 Dec 2015 13:24 #218735 by iguanaDitty

wesbaker wrote:
I think this is the first time they're doing die-cut, or at least one of the first times.

All their games used to be die-cut until a couple years ago. Unless they've upgraded their process and materials, which is unlikely, their die cut counters are functional and not great. That's why they went to laser cut in the first place.
The more I think about this it might be a deal breaker for me. I agree that I was surprised laser-cut was not just the default option.

More
31 Dec 2015 13:45 #218740 by Sagrilarus
At the time VPG bought the laser they essentially said that they had to print a lot of games now, in order to amortize its cost. They essentially spent big bucks up front to not have to worry about creating physical die cutters. It seemed like a don't-look-back sort of moment, to me at any rate, and a big upgrade to their components. (Plus the chits come with rounded corners and not a speck of flash gods be praised.)

I imagine it costs a couple of bucks to run it, but it seems to me once you have it set up you go with it. Maybe there are just too many copies to be produced this time? 1000 copies doesn't seem like a lot.

Is the game any good?

More
31 Dec 2015 13:54 #218742 by iguanaDitty
I liked it. Probably my favorite solo game of theirs next to Hero of Weehauken. Played smoothly and quickly, had a great narrative, some neat ideas. I think the original was great but needed some more baking which the update seems to have done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds