October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What board games are you NOT buying?

More
31 Dec 2015 18:46 #218765 by Ken B.

SuperflyTNT wrote: I never get the disdain for "Hobby Miniatures Games".

For me, it's three-fold:

1. I can't paint for shit. Seriously. Not for shit.
2. I immensely dislike the "game of inches." "You bumped that guy!" "You didn't put him down exactly where he is supposed to be!" "Ooops. Nudge! Teehee!"
3. Most of the real-life Warhammer players I've met are anti-social assholes. Seriously, don't have the good grace or social manners of a pile of elf cum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2015 20:19 #218771 by Not Sure

Ken B. wrote: 3. Most of the real-life Warhammer players I've met are anti-social assholes. Seriously, don't have the good grace or social manners of a pile of elf cum.

At least they'd be sparkly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., edulis

More
01 Jan 2016 10:24 #218803 by Rliyen

Ken B. wrote:

For me, it's three-fold:

2. I immensely dislike the "game of inches." "You bumped that guy!" "You didn't put him down exactly where he is supposed to be!" "Ooops. Nudge! Teehee!"
3. Most of the real-life Warhammer players I've met are anti-social assholes. Seriously, don't have the good grace or social manners of a pile of elf cum.

As a recovering 40k player, I can attest to all of the above. Except the painting, I'm getting better at it. I add one more thing: Over-exuberant Winner and Ennui Loser. You all know the type, the one who acts like a smug asshole when winning and then turns into a major depressive asshole when losing. Played one game with this type, Tau vs. IG (me). The instant I took out his vehicles, he just sat there, sighing as he removed units off the table as I destroyed them.

Never played with that asshole ever again, and he was a GW rep/judge. Dickhead.

More
01 Jan 2016 13:41 #218816 by gversace
I disagree that the laser cut are just brown on the sides. Punching out Circus Train left my hands black with soot. The counters end up marginally nicer, but I'd rather not have to wipe them each down individually to ensure they don't get soot on other components.

VPG laser cuts counters for all of their print-on-demand games, which are almost all of them. The new Nemo's War edition, however, is not POD. It's going to be printed in China, hence die-cut counters. I would expect the quality to be similar to other board games' die cut counters, not the old VPG die cuts. Unless you have a fetish for the VPG laser cuts, I don't think it's worth the money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty, wesbaker

More
02 Jan 2016 03:02 #218849 by SuperflyPete

Ken B. wrote:

For me, it's three-fold:

1. EM4, Battlefield: Evolution, Starship Troopers...there's a ton of models that are preprinted and not exorbitantly expensive. Alternatively, spray prime with a base color then dip them in a Army Painter Strong Shade. Or repurpose Heroscape, DDM, etc.

2. This is a people problem. Don't hang out with douchebags.

3. See #2.

There's a bunch of lighter-rules games like WreckAge and Strange Aeons which are more narrative and less min-maxish that a group who likes Heroscape but wants to take it to the next level would LOVE. I know from experience.

Alternatively, I bought about a hundred painted GW orcs and vampire lords models for about a hundred bucks on eBay. There's a bunch of ways around the painting thing. So, it comes down to "do I want to play friendly games or competitive games" choices. Playing almost any game competitively brings out the cuntwagons but playing with your regular group who likes X-Wing/Armada type games but who don't see their fleet as an extension of their penises (or vaginas) is a great time.

More
21 Jan 2016 22:03 #220460 by Da Bid Dabid
The Theseus expansions because none of the local stores stock them and no one online has them both in-stock together just one or the other...

More
21 Jan 2016 22:44 #220466 by Gary Sax
^Yep, I had that experience too. They must keep a pretty small expansion stock around Portal to stock OLGS with.

I've gotten much more trigger happy on expansions to game I really like now---in retrospect if I hadn't randomly bought Clash of Culture's expansion on a whim I would be completely shit out of luck, it went OOP (for good?) shortly after I bought it. Robinson Crusoe's expansion was out for like a year because I waited too...

More
23 Jun 2016 17:26 #229280 by Cranberries
Not buying Cruel Necessity by VPG, even though I am very interested in the theme and could use a solitaire game. Solitaire games are the sweat pants of gaming, the proof that you've given up.

$50 shipped for a polybag of components and an unmounted map.

Polybag Game Components:

• One 20-page, full-color Rulebook (Designer's Notes included)
• One 22" x 17" cardstock game map (in sections)
• One 11" x 17" Battle Display mat
• 75 cards
• 98 thick, two-sided, multi-shaped game pieces
• One two-sided player aid
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave, Msample, edulis

More
23 Jun 2016 17:49 #229282 by Michael Barnes
Wait for a sale...I got it for $35. It's one of their best, despite the component/cost thing, it's worth $50 IMO- a GMT-class historical title with lots of depth, replayability and compelling decisions. Note that mine is still on the shelf and not in a sale post...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Jun 2016 22:25 #229297 by Cranberries

Michael Barnes wrote: Wait for a sale...I got it for $35. It's one of their best, despite the component/cost thing, it's worth $50 IMO- a GMT-class historical title with lots of depth, replayability and compelling decisions. Note that mine is still on the shelf and not in a sale post...

Have we discovered the mythical unicorn, the game that Barnes will not sell?

But seriously, thanks for the recommendation. I'll hold out for a lower price.

More
24 Jun 2016 01:25 #229306 by san il defanso

craniac wrote: Solitaire games are the sweat pants of gaming, the proof that you've given up.

That must be why I suddenly started playing more solo games after I had kids. Like sweatpants, sometimes it's just easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike, wesbaker

More
25 Jun 2016 17:01 - 25 Jun 2016 17:04 #229351 by Mr. White
Stopped by a game store (Ettin Games) in Houston on our way back from vacation in Florida. They are having a huge sale from someone's estate. Old school TSR box sets, rpgs, etc. but the main items of interest for me were the GW items: Warmaster, Talisman 3rd, Dragon Masters, and original WHQ. WHQ was only missing one plastic rat but had extra treasure cards - $100.

I passed.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2016 17:04 by Mr. White.

More
25 Jun 2016 21:29 #229358 by Da Bid Dabid
Jeff you have a strong will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Jun 2016 15:04 #229366 by ChristopherMD
All of them. I'm done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DukeofChutney

More
27 Jun 2016 02:50 #229393 by Gary Sax
I'll bite. Cult of new pressing your buttons recently?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds