October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Catacombs

More
14 Sep 2015 13:30 #210637 by Josh Look
Catacombs was created by Josh Look
The day I never thought would come is now within sight. I got my notification that my copy of Catacombs and the Cavern of Soloth has shipped.

Let's not turn this into a "How poorly this KS was run" thread because really, in comparison to TONS of other projects, it wasn't that bad.

I've never played before, how does this game now stack up in a post-Flick 'Em Up world? I generally love dexterity games, so I have no doubt I'll dig, I'm just looking for people's opinions on it without the KS hate train stopping by.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2015 13:44 #210639 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Catacombs
It was late, but I thought it was pretty well run. I'm excited to get my copy...

More
14 Sep 2015 13:46 #210640 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Catacombs
I think it can hold its own with Flick 'em Up, although it probably isn't quite as good. It does pretty good as a flicking dungeon crawler, though.

As for KS, did you end up backing Ghostbusters? That apparently is still on schedule to be here before November, but I don't know if that will hold or not.

More
14 Sep 2015 15:52 #210655 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Catacombs
Flick'em Up is super light, drunken party game at best. There's not a ton of strategy, not really much variety.

Catacombs is bad ass though, but you have to know that it is fuck-all hard to win. You ~need~ to play with 4 heroes every time or it's going to be double tough to get past the second or third room. You can build campaigns simply and easily by tuning the deck, and I've played 20-room quests which were set up to slowly get harder, with stores and healers in every 4th room or so. Really kind of let you level up.

So, I love the game, although I hate most of the art. I have all of the expansions, and I play with them all. Really easy to integrate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
16 Sep 2015 11:46 #210752 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Catacombs

SuperflyTNT wrote: Flick'em Up is super light, drunken party game at best. There's not a ton of strategy, not really much variety.

Catacombs is bad ass though, but you have to know that it is fuck-all hard to win. You ~need~ to play with 4 heroes every time or it's going to be double tough to get past the second or third room. You can build campaigns simply and easily by tuning the deck, and I've played 20-room quests which were set up to slowly get harder, with stores and healers in every 4th room or so. Really kind of let you level up.

So, I love the game, although I hate most of the art. I have all of the expansions, and I play with them all. Really easy to integrate.

Some of the more advanced scenarios get into more strategy -- also, how can you not like the dynamite and hay bales?

The new art on catacombs is terrible. I have the first edition with both expansions, and agree that you should play with them all. Personally, I enjoy it slightly more than Flick 'Em Up (even though the former has slicker production), but it is my too favorite themes going head to head in Old West vs. Dungeon so I am usually up for either.

More
17 Sep 2015 01:05 - 17 Sep 2015 01:05 #210810 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Catacombs

Josh Look wrote: The day I never thought would come is now within sight. I got my notification that my copy of Catacombs and the Cavern of Soloth has shipped. Let's not turn this into a "How poorly this KS was run" thread because really, in comparison to TONS of other projects, it wasn't that bad.

I've never played before, how does this game now stack up in a post-Flick 'Em Up world? I generally love dexterity games, so I have no doubt I'll dig, I'm just looking for people's opinions on it without the KS hate train stopping by.

Both games are are a lot of fun. I wouldn't want to play 3 straight dexterity games in a row but I love mixing in a dexterity game with a couple hard thinking games. For the record, I'm average at dexterity games which puts me somewhere between Al (one of the best flickers in the galaxy) and Uba (one of the most feared women in the galaxy but also the one of the worst flickers in the galaxy).

Catacombs is longer and maybe a little more strategy. Flick'em up has some strategy and variety (Most of the time Superfly knows what he's talking about but I've played Flick'em up about 10 times in the last 2 months and rescuing a bad guy from hanging is completely different from stealing gold is completely different from the last scenario - The Magnificent 7 scenario). I think they did a great job with the variety of the scenarios in Flick'em up. I'm looking froward to playing both games at Trashfest. Is Billy Z going to Trashfest? Is Billy Z. bring Catacombs?
Last edit: 17 Sep 2015 01:05 by KingPut.

More
17 Sep 2015 08:40 #210814 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Catacombs
Man, fuck Billy Z. I'm going and I'll be bringing mine, which I just got yesterday. I got the base game, Cavern of Soloth, and the KS exclusive expansion. I had a least two hours of stickering last night.

I'm so pro-new art it isn't funny. Absolutely love it, wouldn't have it any other way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

More
17 Sep 2015 08:49 #210815 by Gary Sax
^me too

More
17 Sep 2015 09:14 #210816 by SuperflyPete
In fairness, I only know of Flick 'Em Up what I played in the demo and what I read in the rules, so if you gents are saying there's a lot of variety, I cede to your more knowledgeable opinions.

I will stand by the idea that Catacombs has far more strategy because the buying/healing and campaign system alone provides more than FEU offers.

That said, the perfect game night for me is as follows:
Puff, puff, pass.
Ceremonial fireball shot.
Ascending Empires.
Flick 'Em Up
Shot of Dave's Johnnie Walker
Catacombs campaign
Ceremonial fireball shot
Crokinole, 1$ per 10 points, play to 250.

More
17 Sep 2015 09:45 #210820 by Gary Sax
Ice that flicking finger that night before bed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
17 Sep 2015 09:50 #210821 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Catacombs
Hopefully some day there is another dexterity game that will rule them all. cough

More
17 Sep 2015 11:27 #210828 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: Hopefully some day there is another dexterity game that will rule them all. cough

No shit. One way or another, either through our existing prospect or through Kickstarter, SEAL Team FLIX is going to be made. I don't care what it takes. The game is too fucking bad ass not to be made.

We really need to get together and produce a short gameplay video.

More
17 Sep 2015 21:11 - 17 Sep 2015 21:13 #210866 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Catacombs
Yeah and fuck Billy Z. we'll play Josh Looks new Catacombs.

SuperflyTNT wrote: Crokinole, 1$ per 10 points, play to 250.

You might have heard about how Jay made $20-$30 on Flick'em side bets. I know I was down $5 at the end of the night. Can you image people make side bets on a Euro game. "I'll bet you $2.00 that Mark will trade in 2 blue cubes for 3 brown cubes".
Last edit: 17 Sep 2015 21:13 by KingPut.

More
17 Sep 2015 22:40 #210867 by Gary Sax
Just got my copy, read the rules, and stickered it. It looks great, they did a very nice job with it. Only thing that is shitty is the outside cardboard retaining wall, but I really don't give two shits about that.

More
18 Sep 2015 08:32 #210888 by SuperflyPete

KingPut wrote: Yeah and fuck Billy Z. we'll play Josh Looks new Catacombs.

SuperflyTNT wrote: Crokinole, 1$ per 10 points, play to 250.

You might have heard about how Jay made $20-$30 on Flick'em side bets. I know I was down $5 at the end of the night. Can you image people make side bets on a Euro game. "I'll bet you $2.00 that Mark will trade in 2 blue cubes for 3 brown cubes".

My neighbors are big-as-shit gambling addicts. Everything gets monetized, and this one girl, Amy, is a monster. The girl wins at everything. Well, I brought over Crokinole and hustled the fuck out of her...I think I was up 20$ before she said she wanted to play something else. I fuck people up when it comes to dexterity games, generally speaking, and it's now to the point that I don't get to play them anymore because people get tired of losing. Not a brag, FWIW, but rather a lamentation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds