October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Heads up - Blood Bowl 2 is pretty good

More
27 Sep 2015 20:17 #211446 by Gary Sax
That's good enough for me. I like Bloodbowl and played it a fair amount as a teen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2015 21:55 - 28 Sep 2015 22:24 #211449 by drewcula
JW,
I should have clarified.
My three video gaming buddies have been playing every Thursday night for five years. Five days ago, we had a rare exception where one of us was traveling. That absent gamer had not installed the game, and consequently could not be found/registered as a coach during the league build.
We'll be right as rain this week. I'll be playing a few more friendlies this week in preparation.

Xbox One - Prof Wojo if anyone is so inclined.

Barnes is right - the campaign is a shitty tutorial at best and it trickles out rules so slowly - a new player is vulnerable to learn bad habits.. I'm playing through it because I enjoy the lame narrative and can forgive the long rule build up.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2015 22:24 by drewcula.

More
28 Sep 2015 12:41 #211487 by Michael Barnes
Heh, yeah, the story is stupid as hell but it's fun...Jim and Bob are terrible, but they're an endearing kind of terrible. Especially when Bob say something like "I'm not racist, but I mean come on- wood elf, high elf, dark elf...I can't tell 'em apart."

It's so stupid how they did the tutorial, I guess they were thinking along the lines of stripping out certain die rolls and stats to make it simpler. But it really screws up HOW you play the game when you aren't making dodge rolls, rolls to pick up the ball, and so forth under threat of turnover. It also has the weird effect of making the first three or four matches of the campaign take twice as long because you aren't seeing those first block ==> attacker down turns.

I love reading reviews of this game in the video game press...some folks just DO NOT understand the game at all...they don't get that you DON'T make stupid chances unless it's a do or die situation, they don't get that you have to organize your turn so you're not taking one of those stupid chances FIRST before you get your blockers set up. They don't get the point of the tackle zones and how to position your men.

More
28 Sep 2015 22:23 #211535 by drewcula
Mr Barnes,

Good sir, if you have not done so already - I recommend playing the campaign until you face off against the Gouged Eye. There's a narrative "twist" that's an absolute hoot. Cheers and fan factors to you old chap!

Enjoy,
Prof. Wojo

More
05 Oct 2015 17:16 #211938 by Michael Barnes
I did that match over the weekend- that was awesome! Totally unexpected. And totally should not be spoiled.

I kind of don't like the obligatory challenges...in that match versus the Naggaroth Nightmares, you have a challenge to get their Witch Elves off the field. So I spend like three matches trying to get into a winning position first with at least one touchdown and THEN do the challenge. Doesn't work, because by the end of the match I wind up focused on the Witch Elves and hammering them to pieces. Then I wind up offing both of them before making a touchdown, and I get two points after Bob talks to the ref or whatever. So I should have just been doing that all along.

That match was...not a good one for the Dark Elves. It just got embarrassing. I think they had two players left on the felt by the end of the second half. I just kept stomping them. Man all the way downfield waiting at the goal line, and I'm taking two turns to beat Elves to death. No hurry.

I love the animations but if you turn them off, it cuts the match time like in half.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds