October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Waste Knights - Polish Post-Apocalyptic Adventure

More
19 Nov 2015 12:26 #215427 by charlest
This game is great, probably the definitive Post-Apocalyptic game in production. My review went up today and I have some very kind words.

The event/encounter system is kind of like Dead of Winter's Crossroad cards - if the player holding it wanted you to be gutted by mutants and he had more choices if you moved farther on your turn.

I love the three impulse combat system too that is very Forbidden Stars-ish, but on a personal man to man level. Works very well.

There's tons of neat stuff going on in this game as long as you can stomach the 2-2.5 hour playtime I'd heavily recommend it. It's not currently being distributed in the U.S. but you can get the English version from CSI (on pre-order right now) as they picked up a bunch in Essen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2015 12:31 #215428 by Sagrilarus
Talon is coming out with an Impulse system too. It seems to be coming back into style again. A personal favorite for me.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Nov 2015 12:44 #215430 by Gary Sax
Very cool, thanks for mentioning. Looking at the details on BGG right now.

More
19 Nov 2015 12:55 #215431 by quozl
What's an impulse system?
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
19 Nov 2015 13:04 #215433 by charlest
The way I'm using it in my original post is referring to the combat as I take one discrete action and you take one discrete action. It breaks down longer simulations or narrative arcs into smaller minute actions. I could have said it's "three beat system". Turn or round doesn't quite feel appropriate but we're just talking semantics here.

I'm not exactly using it in the same way as Impulse driven war games, although there are some similarities.

More
19 Nov 2015 13:51 #215435 by Sagrilarus
Apologies if I mis-understood what you were reaching for -- Impulse usually means there's a set of impulses per turn, and depending on how fast you're moving or how much of something you have you get to take actions on certain impulses. In Talon's case there are six impulses per turn, and if your speed is high you may move on impulses 1, 3, 5 and 6, if you're moving slowly you may move on impulse 3 only. The impulses are a clock that ticks off each turn and you're entitled to take your actions on the impulses that match your selection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, charlest

More
19 Nov 2015 13:59 #215436 by charlest
Yeah, my bad, poor language on my part.

More
19 Nov 2015 15:57 - 19 Nov 2015 16:05 #215441 by SuperflyPete

charlest wrote: Yeah, my bad, poor language on my part.

What you mean is that there's 3 "you go-I go" micro-turns in the series, yes? Like "the first impulse is Move, I move, then you move; the second impulse is Shoot, I shoot then you shoot, and the third impulse is Cover, where I take cover then you do" or something?

Edit: Read your review. Almost stopped with this: "In this way it reminds me a bit of Christophe Boelinger and I see a couple of nods in the same direction as Earth Reborn – one of the most brilliant Post-Apocalyptic designs in existence."

I think you're dead wrong. That setting could've been like Weird War 2/Incursion and there would've been absolutely no difference, IMO. The "Post Apoc" setting was pasted on in a substantial way. There was no need to scavenge. There was no problems with radiation poisoning. Basically, there's nothing that exudes the setting more than what is written in the book and the artwork. It's just a skirmish game, a good one, but it's not much when it comes to post-apoc. I could name twenty (at least) games that take advantage of the setting and really exude it, complete with the theme of "desperation" far better. Just my 2c.

Otherwise, a very compelling review.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2015 16:05 by SuperflyPete.

More
19 Nov 2015 16:14 #215443 by charlest
The actions are simultaneous just like Forbidden Stars structure. We both pick a card and play it at the same time. The abilities/actions are the cards are far different than Forbidden Stars though (and not asymmetrical here).

I don't think debating Earth Reborn anymore is good for my health or the forum's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Nov 2015 16:31 #215445 by SuperflyPete
LOL, no need to debate it - it's a really good skirmish game, and we agree on that 100%.

I'm still interested in this "impulse" thing you're talking about - you never really explained that or answered on that. How does it work?

More
19 Nov 2015 17:05 #215447 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: LOL, no need to debate it - it's a really good skirmish game, and we agree on that 100%.

I'm still interested in this "impulse" thing you're talking about - you never really explained that or answered on that. How does it work?

The actions are simultaneous just like Forbidden Stars structure. We both pick a card and play it at the same time. The abilities/actions are the cards are far different than Forbidden Stars though (and not asymmetrical here).

The word impulse is not correct. There's three rounds of combat. We each pick a card from our hand to play for the current round, simultaneous reveal.

You can attack, move forward/retreat (changes range from short/medium/long), go defensive. You can also prepare which gives you big bonuses on your next action.

After three rounds if both sides are still alive then whoever has the most momentum wins. Momentum is gained depending on the card you played plus additional points if you cause wounds.

So attacking gains you one momentum but defending loses you momentum. Same with advancing/retreating. You want to win the fight against threats/monsters because you get a reward (equipment, fame). Against players you can steal some of their shit they don't have stored in their car and steal their mission.

Combat over three rounds of simultaneous card selection is interesting because it has a natural sense of increasing momentum as the stakes get higher.

It also reminds me a bit of Burning Wheel, the RPG.

More
19 Nov 2015 17:09 #215448 by stoic
Saw some pics. The game has a robotic weaponized emu. What's darker and more apocalyptic than a killer emu?
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
19 Nov 2015 17:28 #215450 by charlest
Hell yeah, that Emu is nasty.

In case anyone is looking at the BGG pics and actually decides to buy something based on one of my reviews, be aware that it does not come with miniatures. The company is releasing miniatures separately and there's a lot of promo shots that show them. The game comes with Arkham/Eldritch like standees.

More
19 Nov 2015 17:54 #215452 by Jackwraith

sagrilarus wrote: Apologies if I mis-understood what you were reaching for -- Impulse usually means there's a set of impulses per turn, and depending on how fast you're moving or how much of something you have you get to take actions on certain impulses. In Talon's case there are six impulses per turn, and if your speed is high you may move on impulses 1, 3, 5 and 6, if you're moving slowly you may move on impulse 3 only. The impulses are a clock that ticks off each turn and you're entitled to take your actions on the impulses that match your selection.

Right. Like the original Villains and Vigilantes rules. Actions were based on Dexterity and you could act every 15 phases, so if your Dex was 47, you went on 47, 32, 17, and 2, while someone whose Dex was only 18 would go on 18 and 3. It, of course, granted a massive advantage to characters with high Dex (like the Mercury Mercenary in the starting adventure) but many of them would often be lacking Strength and Constitution and could be one-shotted by the big guys, if they could get close enough.

More
19 Nov 2015 22:29 #215464 by SuperflyPete
Sag, like myself, probably immediately thought "Star Fleet Battles" when we read 'impulse'.

It sounds like this card thing is kind of like Runebound in that there's three distinct turns per combat round, so to speak, except that you get to play simultaneous, hidden-reveal cards each turn.

At 70$ on preorder, that's pretty fucking steep for a game with no plastics. I'm guessing it's due to import and whatnot. Now I know how Southernman feels! :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.557 seconds