October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Pet Peeves of boardgaming.

More
23 Nov 2015 10:43 - 23 Nov 2015 10:44 #215712 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Pet Peeves of boardgaming.
^oh yes this. The other thing is that my experience is that these people do not always correlate well with being bad people. Some people are just shitty competitive in games and fun nice people outside of it. For my wife, it came from her family and the shitty way they gamed.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 10:44 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2015 11:04 #215718 by Sagrilarus
There's cloaking in Star Wars? Isn't that some sort of violation of the Roddenberry-Lucas Act of 1981?

More
23 Nov 2015 11:37 #215720 by Shellhead

edulis wrote: Poor losers, the kind the get really angry and blame their lose on everything, but their opponent's abilities.

I am not talking about being disappointed in constant poor dice rolls ; we've all had that. I am talking about the ones who can't have fun unless they are winning and when losing manage to suck the fun out of the game for everyone else with this whining and pity party and making statements like "you only won because I didn't move my fucking ship here" or "I played to fucking nice, I should have not let you uncloak after I moved my PS 1 ship" (paraphrase from X-wing on Saturday).

Yep- I don't like those guys.

I was part of a group that played Jyhad on a regular basis for many years, and the group was finally ruined by one guy who fits your exact description. To his credit, he was an intelligent and competitive player who quickly caught up with people who had already been playing for a decade. But he gloated when he won, and he was such a sore loser that it almost made winning suck for the winner. And he kept coming back, week after week, year after year, and got worse.

One time, I tried to talk directly to him about what he was doing, and asked him if he could try to just relax and have fun like the rest of us..He bluntly told me that he was suffering PTSD from his (one) tour of duty in Iraq, and if people didn't like his attitude, that was their problem. I eventually cut back on playing and finally stopped during a particularly busy year. By the end of that year, the group collapsed, and the former players generally point to this guy as the reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, edulis

More
23 Nov 2015 11:44 #215721 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Pet Peeves of boardgaming.

edulis wrote: Poor losers....

This might not make sense to people but to me there are two types of poor losers.

The obvious ones we all know where someone gets pissed off and acts like a impudent child. But what about the other type?

I'm talking about the guy who takes losing too well. The guy who roles with every punch and never gets frustrated in any way whatsoever. There is this awesome guy I game with who never, EVER seems to get upset at anything. Sometimes I want my punches to hurt - ya know. Sometimes when I have a good play I need to validate that awesome move with a look of horror on my opponents face and if I don't get it... I'm a little disappointed. I need to know that you care about the game enough to get a least a little bit upset when I stomp you.

More
23 Nov 2015 11:49 #215723 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Pet Peeves of boardgaming.
Good point JonJacobs. I don't like that guy either. I want my opponent to be invested in the game and to care when things are going badly.

More
23 Nov 2015 14:19 #215744 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Pet Peeves of boardgaming.

Shellhead wrote: But he gloated when he won, and he was such a sore loser that it almost made winning suck for the winner. And he kept coming back, week after week, year after year, and got worse.

We used to play MtG at University in the cafe and there was one guy who was a notorious bad loser. To the point where he had a reputation for self-inducing epileptic fits when he got upset with the game. I wasn't sure whether to believe that until he did it in front of me.

My main pet-peeve is what I see as an increasingly incestuous board gaming media.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
23 Nov 2015 17:20 #215781 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I am a big believer in reasonable take-backs. I want to beat you because I made better tactical moves, not because you misinterpreted the rules or miscounted the number of points required. So the minute someone is all "You moved it, then took your hand off, it so it counts" I get quite shitty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
24 Nov 2015 09:10 #215803 by Ska_baron
Yeah, and reasonable to me is if the game state either hasnt changed (next person didnt take their turn yet) or things would have played out the same (realizing you meant to build something differently in TI3 earlier in the round is usually fine for example).

But there are times, when someone makes a decision after you've gone that they wouldnt have made, forces they wouldnt have committed where you are just stuck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
24 Nov 2015 11:56 #215820 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Pet Peeves of boardgaming.

Sevej wrote: I kind of feel guilty about this, but I absolutely can't stand Rahdo. I know he's explaining games, but he repeat himself more often than I'm comfortable with. There's not many thing that makes me scream at my laptop :(

As the burden of rules explanation often falls on me, I appreciate the thoroughness of Rahdo's play through videos. The problem for me is that he just rarely features games I give a rat's ass about, because his wife is not a fan of games with direct conflict. 'Tis a shame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
24 Nov 2015 12:04 #215824 by Josh Look
He did do Evolution, a game you really ought to look at, Ken, if you haven't already. I know your tastes and I think you'd really dig it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., Frohike

More
24 Nov 2015 13:06 #215832 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Ska_baron wrote: Yeah, and reasonable to me is if the game state either hasnt changed (next person didnt take their turn yet) or things would have played out the same (realizing you meant to build something differently in TI3 earlier in the round is usually fine for example).

But there are times, when someone makes a decision after you've gone that they wouldnt have made, forces they wouldnt have committed where you are just stuck.

That is why I said reasonable takebacks. I tend to accept up until midway through the next players turn if it will involve piece movement, and just about any time if it is something as simple as drawing an extra card. And I am talking about miscounting or not understanding rules, stuff that shouldn't happen if you are 100% focussed on the game and have played it regularly enough to know the rules.

More
24 Nov 2015 14:11 #215839 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Pet Peeves of boardgaming.

Josh Look wrote: He did do Evolution, a game you really ought to look at, Ken, if you haven't already. I know your tastes and I think you'd really dig it.

A recommend from the Lookster is a solid in my book. Maybe one of the Huntsville gamers has it so I can try before I buy.

More
24 Nov 2015 15:11 #215847 by daveroswell
1) Sore winners. I very rarely game anymore, and when I do. it is with fatties or at a convention. Gaming is a supplemental activity for me, along with eating (and yeah, drinking, etc.). I tend to game with friends now, so I don't run into tournament pomposity much. When I play a new game, I like to learn the basic strategy and try to be competitive. I don't need to be reminded in a loud or condescending way how poorly I did.

2) Game consumerism taken to extreme. Of course I know games have to be sold to keep the hobby going, but I'm pretty much a mallrat in this aspect. I stay away from most Kickstarter or "top ten games you MUST buy this year" type Youtube videos. I have to REALLY dig something at this point to buy it. I don't need a salesperson to push it onto me. And, YES, I did enjoy GenCon the two times I went. Very much so. That was mostly for the company I kept (Pete and the guys I met through Pete). Origins scratches the same social itch for me.

More
24 Nov 2015 15:52 #215850 by Black Barney
well I think we've covered every single behaviour imaginable. To the point that it's clear that someone will always be pissed off no matter what someone else does.

- someone that loses badly.
- someone that loses well.

For me, I don't like someone that doesn't want to listen to rules but then will complain several times during a game that if they had known that was a rule, they wouldn't have done that. Or worse, "you should have said that was a rule". Go die for focks sake.

I also hate playing with people that are eating when we're playing. This is really just a pet peeve though, I know it's not a reasonable thing to have bothering me. I actually stopped inviting or playing with quite a few people that did this. I remember this one guy, John, who was eating donuts during a game of Diplomacy. I never played with that guy again. He's SUPER nice too.

More
24 Nov 2015 16:26 #215852 by Shellhead

Black Barney wrote: I also hate playing with people that are eating when we're playing. This is really just a pet peeve though, I know it's not a reasonable thing to have bothering me. I actually stopped inviting or playing with quite a few people that did this. I remember this one guy, John, who was eating donuts during a game of Diplomacy. I never played with that guy again. He's SUPER nice too.

I have only played Diplomacy twice, and both games were on the same day. I vividly recall enjoying the Dunkin Donuts that one guy brought more than the game. But I am not John, and I am not super nice, so this is just an uncanny coincidence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds