October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

2015 could be one of the best

More
24 Nov 2015 12:36 #215830 by charlest
Pete, I haven't touted Argent as the best worker placement game, I thought it was good and rated it a 7, which is pretty high for me. I'd much rather play Sons of Anarchy (2014) or Champions of Midgard (2015).

There's only about 2 or 3 games on your 2013 list I'm interested in Pete. Seriously.

I've openly stated I'm not a huge fan of Eldritch, maybe I'd like it more solo but my 4 player games have been way too long and filled with large moments of boredom.

Pathfinder ACG is boring and already forgotten about.

Forbidden Desert doesn't do much Forbidden Island didn't already do. It is slightly better but that's not a huge deal.

Rampage, Warhammer Diskwars, and Coconuts are the only games on your list that I own. Mushroom Eaters I'd consider more 2014 as it was being handmade and not widely released.

2012 was very good, I recognized that.

Netrunner I stopped playing because I couldn't keep up. Great game but I can live without it.

Robinson Crusoe is a good game but I think it's slightly overrated.

X-Wing is the only thing there that I love.

I think 5 years from now 2015 will be the stronger year for me. I can't really remember the last time I liked a game as much on my very first play as Blood Rage. I'd put money down on this being a favorite of mine 5 years from now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2015 12:44 - 24 Nov 2015 12:45 #215831 by Space Ghost
I thought 2013 was a good year. From Pete's list, I like the following. Duel of Ages tugs at my heartstrings the most, but The Duke is probably the best on the list -- it is reminiscent of Feudal to me (which you assholes should track down a copy of that if you haven't played it -- great game from the 60s)

Pathfinder card game
The Duke (A truly remarkable game that nobody talks about)
Legacy: De Crecy
A Study in Emerald
Duel of Ages II
Theseus
A Distant Plain
Dungeon Command

Last edit: 24 Nov 2015 12:45 by Space Ghost.

More
24 Nov 2015 13:18 #215834 by SuperflyPete
To be fair, that wasn't "my list", that was just taken right from BGG based on year and rating.

I guess what I'm saying is that "the best year" or whatever is very personal. 2015 wasn't all that shit hot for my tastes, based on what I've played and what people I like to read (read: FATties like you) have said in reviews.

Re:Argent, must've been Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
24 Nov 2015 13:41 #215837 by ThirstyMan
Good job you didn't go on about wargames. Lincoln's War is absolutely awful and is currently being offered at discount.

You won't have enough time to play wargames ten times to give a valid opinion..

More
24 Nov 2015 14:09 #215838 by Ken B.

San Il Defanso wrote: I've only had the barest of experience with it, but I think WWE Superstar Showdown has loads of potential for year-end lists (which is why Charlie listed it). I got a copy last week, and I'm taking it with me to Thanksgiving to play with my brother-in-law. After I've spent some more time with it I'll know better.

Yeah, I like it a lot, but it needs moar wrasslers, pronto.

But yeah, that's the sort of excellent year we're having, where an actually good WWE game gets released, and you have to say, "oh yeah, that's right, the WWE game too."

Here's my hotlist for this year:

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
Baseball Highlights: 2045
Blood Rage
Cthulhu Wars
Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers
Mysterium
Risk: Star Wars Edition
WWE Superstar Showdown

There are so many left for me to play...The Grizzled, Flick 'Em Up, TIME Stories...

More
24 Nov 2015 15:20 #215849 by daveroswell
I started enjoying this conversation until I realized I won't be playing most of these until 2020.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, OldHippy

More
24 Nov 2015 16:30 #215853 by Joebot

daveroswell wrote: I started enjoying this conversation until I realized I won't be playing most of these until 2020.

HA! Me too! I read through charlest's list and realized that I've played exactly .... zero of those games!

I didn't see Runebound 3.0 on anybody's list. Just curious if anybody has had a chance to check that one out. I'm wondering how it compares to Runebound 2.0.

More
24 Nov 2015 16:48 #215854 by SuperflyPete
I saw it on Friday.

Here's how it looks:
- PvP has more meaning and punch
- Tokens aren't "By difficulty" anymore, but instead are based on what type of enemy will be encountered
- THERE IS A MUHVUGGIN TIMER NOW! The Dragonlord now comes off his perch after X turns and kills the main town. Kind of like The Cataclysm with the doom track (or, really, almost EXACTLY like Mr. Skeletors rule set) in reverse.

What this means:
FUCK YOU, CONSUMER. ALL YOUR OLD ADVENTURES, ALL THOSE HUNDREDS YOU SPENT....YEAH, NOPE. INCOMPATIBLE.

I'm tempted to buy some clay, make a bunch of little clay penises, put them in a bag, glue a post it note reading,"SUCK" to the bag, and mail it to FFG.

More
24 Nov 2015 16:50 #215858 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic 2015 could be one of the best
The best of circa 3500 BCE: Senet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, engineer Al

More
24 Nov 2015 17:01 #215860 by daveroswell

Egg Shen wrote: Cthulhu Wars - I have more faith this will stick around rather than "Hemoglobin Anger". It's got the more popular theme and I have no doubt it will be heavily supported.
Time will tell, but yeah it's been a good year for games.

I think "Pissed Blood" is a better alternate title.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
24 Nov 2015 17:21 #215864 by ChristopherMD
I thought Runebound 2E had plenty of expansion support during its run. Its not like 1E where they cancelled expansions to make them for 2E instead.

More
24 Nov 2015 18:10 - 24 Nov 2015 18:12 #215867 by Matt Thrower
This is something that I was going to talk about in my end of year wrap. But might as well start talking about it now that the topic has been raised.

Yes, this has been an outstanding year for new releases. And I haven't even played all the games on your list.

It feels all the more so because 2013 and 2014 really sucked in the grand scheme of things. Both years I had to scrimp to put together a top three for game of the year - realistically there were only one or two games in each that I felt were really worth the recognition of mentioning in an awards piece. 2012 was pretty good but looking at the history I think you'd need to go all the way back to 2005 (Arkham Horror, Nexus Ops, Railways of the World, Twilight Struggle) to find a set of releases comparable to what we've enjoyed this year.

What does it mean for the future? Sadly, probably nothing. While we've enjoyed some cracking titles, only a couple of them have felt really ground breaking. Which suggests to me that we've just been lucky in terms of quality, rather than witnessing some real rebirth of modern game design.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2015 18:12 by Matt Thrower.

More
25 Nov 2015 09:09 #215889 by Msample

SuperflyTNT wrote: WWE is pretty f'ing awesome.

Let's look at 2012.....
Terra Mystica (inexplicably, the #2 BGG rated game)
Android: NETRUNNER
War of the Ring
Robinson Crusoe
X-WING
Lords of Waterdeep
The Resistance: Avalon
Mage Wars Arena
DESCENT 2ED
Suburbia
Kemet
....I'm stopping there, because we all know how this is going to go

My point is that I think a shitload of truly remarkable games are released every year, and the real test of time will be "what is on your shelf in 2 years, still being played?" I think 2015 is a decent year, but of all the games on the original list, the only ones that I have any interest in are:

One thing that pops to mind is that the 2012 GenCon had a lot of pre and post con buzz about the double whammy release of X Wing and Netrunner. I can't think of anything since that generated that much buzz. And both games are still both going strong.

More
25 Nov 2015 09:45 #215890 by Columbob

Joebot wrote: I didn't see Runebound 3.0 on anybody's list. Just curious if anybody has had a chance to check that one out. I'm wondering how it compares to Runebound 2.0.

I've played it on Saturday. The short: it rocks. More in games played.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds