October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2629 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Osprey Games to Publish Escape from Colditz

More
30 Nov 2015 12:51 #216168 by Michael Barnes
FTR, I sold a copy of the game with the original swastika on it for way more than it was probably actually worth. The swastika actually increased its value.

I'm glad this is coming back, will definitely get, but yeah it is actually kind of a badly designed game by most folks' standards. The design is REALLY shaky. I think the guy just didn't quite have the vocabulary to express what he wanted to do with this game. Erik said that players need to be kind of naïve, and that's true. Because this is a really naïve design.

But it's also one of those one in a million games...totally singular, totally doing its own things. And it's REALLY specific to its subject matter, even if there again the design "technology" wasn't there yet to make this concept work. Regardless of the janky design, it can also be really fun- especially when someone commandeers the staff car and drives off or the German player gets that impossible sniper shot off on a runner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2015 14:27 #216183 by ThirstyMan

stoic wrote:

sagrilarus wrote:

stoic wrote: Will political correctness and a 21st Century penchant for historical revision and scrubbing prevent printing Fylfots on any of its gaming materials?

If by political correctness you mean not violating the law in several European countries, yes. Given the logo in the Press Release I think you're looking at the replacement.

S.

I always side with absolute freedom of expression, even if that expression might offend others--the moment that we censor expression and limit it to only expression that somehow doesn't offend others is the day that we become a muted and stagnant society. Ideas can live or die on their own merits.

The Nazis regime was so odious, malicious, and evil that reference to it in a clearly historical context, e.g., a WWII game and in other war games, shouldn't be wrapped in bubble wrap and made an euphemism, lest history repeat itself.

Not your call though is it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
01 Dec 2015 17:41 #216314 by southernman

Erik Twice wrote:

Southernman wrote: I made sure I typed it slowly since you obviously need it explained slowly.

The way you behave on the forums over the smallest difference of opinion is just sad.

What is sad is people saying one thing and then either not having the balls/integrity/memory to carry on with it. Get over yourself and your stupid ideas.

More
01 Dec 2015 21:15 #216324 by Not Sure

Southernman wrote: Get over yourself and your stupid ideas.

I'm going to nominate this for the official F:AT motto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, ThirstyMan

More
02 Dec 2015 09:59 - 02 Dec 2015 10:03 #216359 by Erik Twice
You are just an asshole Southernman. You always act like an overgrown kid that has his first rageboner and is desperate to act on it. You don't care about the target, you have harrassed people for thinking a game is flawed, for posting on BGG and I remember that time you went ballistic on Repoman because he didn't preface his views on a game with "my opinion". You have harrassed people for supposedly being homophobic and at the same time you have attacked people for complaining about your constant use of gay and faggot. You are a pure, unadultered ball of hate and that's just sad.

I come here for posters like Black Barney or San Idelfonso which are always insightul, fun and a pleasure to have around, not to argue with a psychotic middle-aged man which gets off by trolling a small discussion board. You are a stain on the site and everyone who posts here.

Feel free to rage on, it's all you have.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2015 10:03 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
02 Dec 2015 10:29 #216361 by Sagrilarus
Both of you need to put it back in your pants and zip up.

Or take it to Bitchfest where the rest of us don't have to watch you act like children.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
02 Dec 2015 10:42 #216363 by ThirstyMan
Much more fun to argue with psychotic and opinionated men than self important twats. You'll have to guess which one you are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
02 Dec 2015 11:26 #216370 by SuperflyPete

Erik Twice wrote: I come here for posters like Black Barney or San Idelfonso which are always insightul, fun and a pleasure to have around...

Shit, I never make the good lists.

More
02 Dec 2015 12:29 - 02 Dec 2015 15:07 #216383 by stoic
One interesting aspect of this board game's history is that it was released, in part, as a product tie-in because of the popularity of the UK Colditz tv series (1972-4) where Major Pat Reid, the board game's designer, an escapee, and a first-hand authority on this topic, served as the tv show's consultant and technical adviser in the credits. This tv show's popularity brought the history of Colditz into the public's mind and created a market opportunity for the game in '73.

I don't think that this game is as much a good game as it is a way to recapture the experiences shown on the tube by the show and to learn about Coldtiz history. It's a way to learn about the history of the escape, the layout of the prison, methods used, and the items made by the prisoners for the escapes.

The game capitalized on the tv show's popularity and this tv series is part of its legacy as is the actual history of Colditz. Notably, the title sequence, opening credits, and closing sequence from the Colditz tv series were very much on the minds of the target market for this game when it was released in 1973. Reid also released a sequel to the game, Después de Colditz, which covered the cross-country portion of the escape. The cover art, fonts used, graphics, and artwork in both of these games show the close connection that they had to the tv series--one influenced the other. The tv series is well worth watching, although other Colditz veterans complained that the show didn't depict accurately enough the harsh conditions and brutal treatment of the prisoners of Colditz at the hands of the Nazis.

www.facebook.com/Colditztvseries/

Perhaps, the new 21st Century version of Escape from Colditz needs to be scrubbed even more for full 1984 Orwellian newspeak compliance? There are more countries where it can't be marketed lawfully if that reproduction WWII red cross prisoner's parcel box is still included in the game's components.

[Now being sent to F:AT's Reeducation Camp in Forum Room 101...2+2=5...].
Last edit: 02 Dec 2015 15:07 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Msample

More
02 Dec 2015 14:41 #216405 by Msample
I played Escape from Colidtz for the first time just a few months ago. The rules def had some ambiguities to them. But the game came out what, 40 years ago ? I don't think the rules were written anticipating hard core gamers ripping them apart.

We played with a time limit, about two hours.

While not the most thrilling or revolutionary game, we liked it mainly for the historical context and social feel it had. I could see a new edition with tightened up rules ( for instance, not allowing German blocking, clarifying some cards like the tunnel card ) being a good light multi player game. With good graphics and presentation, it would be cool. Still niche due to topic, but cool for sure. Maybe do a box with a Stalag Luft III ( Great Escape ) map using the same rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, stoic

More
02 Dec 2015 14:52 - 02 Dec 2015 14:53 #216409 by Columbob
The one guy I know who has it usually sets both a time limit and a number of successful escapes for the prisoners to win. Is it balanced? Fuck no. Does it work? Seems like it does. I've only played it once or twice and it's a fun experience, I'd play it again. We'll see about this new one.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2015 14:53 by Columbob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, stoic

More
03 Dec 2015 12:48 #216494 by southernman

Erik Twice wrote: You are just an asshole Southernman. You always act like an overgrown kid that has his first rageboner and is desperate to act on it. You don't care about the target, you have harrassed people for thinking a game is flawed, for posting on BGG and I remember that time you went ballistic on Repoman because he didn't preface his views on a game with "my opinion". You have harrassed people for supposedly being homophobic and at the same time you have attacked people for complaining about your constant use of gay and faggot. You are a pure, unadultered ball of hate and that's just sad.

I come here for posters like Black Barney or San Idelfonso which are always insightul, fun and a pleasure to have around, not to argue with a psychotic middle-aged man which gets off by trolling a small discussion board. You are a stain on the site and everyone who posts here.

Feel free to rage on, it's all you have.

Glad you got that off your chest, hope you're feeling a bit better now and that it improves your memory (so you don't forget what you previously posted again).
Kisses and a big hug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds