October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Drama at BGG Con...nerdragers!

More
30 Nov 2015 08:06 #216140 by SuperflyPete
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1479695/why-top-hotness/page/1

Apparently this publisher made some mistakes in their marketing and are being Mayday'ed. Bonus points for the publisher's owner responding with mad snark in multiple (and I mean MANY) threads.

You can't make this shit up. Epic humor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2015 09:26 #216144 by the_jake_1973
Ugh. I game with one of the guys complaining about the card quality. The comparison picture he presented in a comment was an actual picture of Dominion cards vs the card graphic from the Kickstarter.

More
30 Nov 2015 12:03 #216158 by Frohike
I'm more struck by this:

boardgamegeek.com/article/21043587#21043587

That's some good popcorn drama, there.

More
30 Nov 2015 12:15 #216161 by Chapel
No publisher wants to end up becoming another Jeff Widderich.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Nov 2015 12:24 #216163 by ChristopherMD
I can't choose between carrying a pitchfork or a torch so maybe I'll just stay home instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, engineer Al

More
30 Nov 2015 12:44 #216167 by Michael Barnes
Dude, you set the pitchfork on FIRE. Best of both worlds.

I have no idea what is going on with all of that. I started to care...but then didn't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Msample, engineer Al

More
30 Nov 2015 13:25 #216174 by Jackwraith

Frohike wrote: I'm more struck by this:

boardgamegeek.com/article/21043587#21043587

That's some good popcorn drama, there.

Crisis! CRISIS!! Don't you get it? They used the sacrosanct "Players Wanted" signs! They tricked people who apparently didn't even bother to ask a single question about just which game they were sitting down for in the OPEN GAMING AREA! People were roped into playing a demo for a game they'd never heard of and then were forced to stay when they found out! It completely violates the spirit of a tight community where people apparently don't pay attention to each other or communicate via speech! It's a CRISIS!

Or, perhaps not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
30 Nov 2015 14:25 #216181 by Michael Barnes
God damn it, I had to go look...

OH MY GOD, they took all the "Players Wanted" signs...fuck Syria, this is the greatest crisis facing mankind today. Players Wanted sign shortages! FOR FUCK'S SAKE why didn't someone have a sharpie? Or a GOLF PENCIL on hand? Oh that's right, they don't put golf pencils in games any more.

If Martin Wallace, Vlaada, or Uwe Rosenberg did all of these awful things at BGG.Con (using the con to promote a game, OMG)...not a single eyelid would bat. Some dude (a really funny dude, too) does it...and people are using terms like "it impacted my fun". It sounds like they didn't do anything wrong other than exploit an opportunity...maybe they were overzealous about it...but it also sounds like at no point did someone either with the convention or otherwise approach them and say "hey guys, maybe not so much like this". Being the typical socially awkward man-children you might expect, most of the folks with a problem waited until days later to voice their opinions on the Internet.

Love it that he made BGGers cry. It's not hard to do, but he did it pretty well.

More
30 Nov 2015 14:25 - 30 Nov 2015 14:28 #216182 by SuperflyPete
This is why that place can be so tedious. Little minded people frustrated over petty, first world problems.

As an aside, I love when people say "Ad Hominem attack". These people have never been punched in the face, which is an actual Ad Hominem attack LOL
Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 14:28 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
30 Nov 2015 14:36 #216184 by Sagrilarus

SuperflyTNT wrote: This is why that place can be so tedious. Little minded people frustrated over petty, first world problems.

As an aside, I love when people say "Ad Hominem attack". These people have never been punched in the face, which is an actual Ad Hominem attack LOL

'tis short for "argumentum ad hominem"

I've given up reading about outrage. I find I'm happier for it. BGG has some really interesting content on particular games or even particular gaming concepts. The General Forums don't have enough RoI to make it worth going to them most days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
30 Nov 2015 18:56 #216209 by san il defanso
i can tell you that if someone was doing something that wasn't kosher at BGG.Con, the powers that be would have said something. They generally ran a pretty tight ship in terms of enforcing rules, so if they were fine with it I don't know why all of these people are whining.

More
30 Nov 2015 19:58 - 30 Nov 2015 19:59 #216212 by Chapel

San Il Defanso wrote: i can tell you that if someone was doing something that wasn't kosher at BGG.Con, the powers that be would have said something. They generally ran a pretty tight ship in terms of enforcing rules, so if they were fine with it I don't know why all of these people are whining.

Chad had already stated in one of those threads that he was unaware that it was happening.

boardgamegeek.com/article/21007542#21007542
Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 19:59 by Chapel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso

More
01 Dec 2015 09:34 #216240 by Legomancer
Most importantly, the game sounds like ass.

More
01 Dec 2015 09:49 - 01 Dec 2015 09:54 #216242 by Sagrilarus
It's a Kickstarter project trying to get traction on the cheap. Half of BGG wants to support them for their garage band effort and for offering limited-time-only tchotch, the other half wants to bury them because they stole coveted "Players Wanted" signs at a convention. Apparently they were in great demand and couldn't be duplicated on short notice.

I personally see Players Wanted signs as a warning to stay away, but to each his own.

If "management" didn't know they were doing it it's because no one brought it to their attention. So apparently it wasn't that big an issue. As someone who set up a bar in Open Gaming at WBC, I don't have a lot of authority to speak ill of their efforts.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2015 09:54 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
01 Dec 2015 12:03 - 01 Dec 2015 12:03 #216261 by Chapel

sagrilarus wrote: It's a Kickstarter project trying to get traction on the cheap. Half of BGG wants to support them for their garage band effort and for offering limited-time-only tchotch, the other half wants to bury them because they stole coveted "Players Wanted" signs at a convention. Apparently they were in great demand and couldn't be duplicated on short notice.

I personally see Players Wanted signs as a warning to stay away, but to each his own.

If "management" didn't know they were doing it it's because no one brought it to their attention. So apparently it wasn't that big an issue. As someone who set up a bar in Open Gaming at WBC, I don't have a lot of authority to speak ill of their efforts.

I think they would have gotten less flack if they would have picked a side room, rather than a spot in the main arena. The main arena is always a pressure point with people, it's always filled to the brim, and just seeing it taken by a vendor the whole time makes it contentious.

Of course people like Barnes will laugh, but I guarantee if it happened at one of his favorite cons, we'd hear about it. Well, unless they offered him free games, but Barnes is a whore like that. *boop* Is it friday yet?
Last edit: 01 Dec 2015 12:03 by Chapel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., 433, Black Barney, Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds