October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk WARHAMMER QUEST ADVENTURE CARD GAME

More
18 Dec 2015 12:33 #217683 by metalface13
What's the best way to learn to play? Go through the Tutorial rulebook which doesn't have all the actual rules or just dive in?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2015 15:56 #217794 by DukeofChutney
I'm tempted by this, is it a better buy that Lord of the Rings LCG? I'm probably looking at Solo with periodic two player games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Dec 2015 19:33 #217806 by Sevej

DukeofChutney wrote: I'm tempted by this, is it a better buy that Lord of the Rings LCG? I'm probably looking at Solo with periodic two player games.

Well, for me the biggest detractors of the LotR LCG are its distribution model & the deck construction. The first is pretty clear, you need to shell out pretty penny to fully enjoy it. THere's also the possibility of requiring to change your decks against some encounters. Except if you're playing the saga expansion, which is more $$.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

More
20 Dec 2015 19:56 #217856 by metalface13
On a layover in Chicago on my way home so jut a quick note, this game is good.

More
21 Dec 2015 08:51 #217873 by the_jake_1973
I bought this based on the recommendations here. I can't wait for it to arrive this week.

More
22 Dec 2015 16:16 #218024 by metalface13
Jeff is hounding me for a review, but I'm not ready for that yet, I haven't finished the campaign yet. But I will elaborate more on my "this game is good" comment. Yes, this game is good. Really, quite good. Quite really good. Really quite good. Maybe it's just the rush of the first new game I've bought in years, but I think Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game is now my favorite adventure/dungeon crawl game and my favorite co-op game.

WHQAC really distills the essence of a dungeon crawl into a pretty simple package. It's got exploration, combat and character progression all the things you want in a dungeon crawl/adventure game.The rules are pretty simple, although the rulebooks have are a little lacking in a few areas, but it's not so bad you can't logically houserule any rules questions.

I really like how the character's actions work. On you can attack enemies, explore the location you are at (essential for advancing through the quest), aiding another player (rolling successes allows the other player to put success tokens on their own action cards/gear cards thus making them more effective on their turn) and resting (which allows you to heal). Each character has a unique version of these cards that allow them to do things like exhaust enemies so they can't attack, or engage enemies who are attacking other players, or moving them to the shadows etc. Once you've used an action it's tapped. And it stays tapped until you use the action you have with the "prepare" icon on it, this resets all your actions.

This is my favorite mechanic of the game because the prepare icon is on a different action card for each player and it happens to be the action that character is the worst at. This means all the players are rotating through their actions. The elf isn't just exploring every turn, the dwarf isn't fighting every turn, etc. It also means the players need to find some synergy between their characters and co-ordinate their actions in tricky situations.

This is also why it might be my favorite co-op game. It's certainly not the hardest co-op I've played. We never came close to losing. True on the first two quests we didn't get one or two rules right, so maybe it would have been harder, so you always have that in the back of your mind after a win. I wouldn't mind if it was a little harder. The reason why I enjoy it as a co-op is it feels pretty immune to the affects of an alpha player. There were hardly any clear-cut optimal choices to be made. Instead each turn there were 2-3 good actions I could take, and it came down to personal preference really on what to do. Maybe it's just because when my brother and I play a co-op we're pretty open to each other's input but also OK with letting each player make their own decisions.

My 6.5-year-old nephew was able to pick up a character and play along with us in a dungeon delve too, which was fun. He didn't always want to make the best decisions, but he was able to keep up with the mechanics of the game with a few reminders. Also his enthusiasm for the game, especially when the giant bats came out, was infectious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Mr. White, Columbob

More
22 Dec 2015 16:27 #218025 by Mr. White
Looks like this game is in stock to boot!

More
22 Dec 2015 16:27 #218026 by metalface13

Mr. White wrote: Looks like this game is in stock to boot!

Huzzah!

More
22 Dec 2015 16:29 #218027 by Mr. White
How well do you recall your plays of SH:DA? Enough to compare?

More
22 Dec 2015 16:41 #218029 by metalface13
There are a few small similarities, but I think the comparisons are overblown. It's a much different game from Space Hulk. I would have no problem owning both.

More
22 Dec 2015 19:01 #218034 by Michael Barnes
Now, you could have saved yourself all that effort and simply wrote "Barnes was right."
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
26 Dec 2015 14:11 #218259 by DukeofChutney
Based on the feel from this site i picked this up to solo whilst at my parents over christmas. Ran through the first scenario and the tutorial last night. I'm pretty impressed with this and i don't usually like coop/solo games. I lost narrowly but had forgotten that you get to activate each character twice for the majority of the quest. A few thoughts;

FFG's flavour text writing on the missions is terrible, as it is in most FFG games. Warhammer has always been a bit tongue in cheek 2000 AD comics influenced but this feels a bit too light. It would appear you cannot really 'kill' the goblin nemesis in the first quest which seems a bit bloodless to me. Warhammer should be a bit darker and of greater violence.

The characters are really well designed. IM surprised they can get so much flavour out of four action cards and a refresh action. Having the elf refresh on attack actions generates this quick fire legolas feel for example. Clever bit of design.

The variety in the locations, enemies and dungeon decks is really solid. I was expecting it to be pretty straight forward as a strategy game, relying mostly on the 'experience' to drive it, but you do have to adapt to the situation quite a bit.

in general thumbs up, good call by the fort.

More
27 Dec 2015 04:46 #218297 by mads b.
Tried a solo game the other night and lost at the final location. It seemed easy for a while, but then suddenly the baddie started dealing out some damage and things went south. I liked the game, but the rules made it a somewhat annoying experience. I generally think FFG's rep for bad rulebooks is a bit underserved, but this one is a fucking mess. A lot of the concepts aren't explained in the reference book, some rules seem to be missing entirely (like if you can engage an enemy engaged with another player. Of course you can, but it doesn't really say so anywhere in the rules), and why on earth would you choose to have "open cards" as a concept instead of just saying: draw random cards that match the tier? It may be small stuff, but it just makes the first playthrough long and difficult, and in a coop it just sucks to play an important rule wrong (it's not a big deal in a competitive game since a wrong rule will affect all players, but in a coop it can easily be the difference between winning an underserved victory or not).

Will play it again soon and hopefully it will be more fun and less work this time. It definitely seems fun and I can especially see a campaing being a great experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
27 Dec 2015 07:30 #218299 by DukeofChutney
I agree, for a relatively simple game they have made some of the rules rather vague. Open card is a ridiculous term for random face down card. I'm vague on a few things like, if you move locations do boss monsters follow you? I've assumed they do thus far.

More
28 Dec 2015 09:18 #218358 by metalface13
Yeah I hate the "open" card terminology, do I dare say it's a bit random for it to mean random? I do dare say it. It was said.

Everybody on the internet says you can engage enemies engaged with others but I don't see anywhere in the rules that says you can. It also doesn't say you can't. So, I dunno. We played you couldn't and didn't really have a problem with it.

As for not being able to kill the goblin, don't worry he's the only nemesis that does that. What it means is he gets shuffled into the enemies deck in subsequent adventures so you can be lucky enough to deal with two nemesis enemies at the same time.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds