October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2634 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk Neuroshima Hex Universe Games

More
11 Jan 2016 08:23 #219548 by Mr. White
So, per the other thread, I've finally picked this up. I know the game is older news, but am digging the background fluff and am interested in other games in the line.

Is see there's a two player only came called The Convoy, which is the Outpost trying to stop Moloch from taking New York or something.

Also, there's that 51 State/New Era RftG looking game.

Any others? I'm aware of the rpg, which I'd love to read, but don't think there's an English edition.

Anyway, the two card games...are they thematic at all? The iconography looks a bit much. Can 51st State play 2 well? If so, why also get The Convoy? Seems like 51st State and Convoy are both getting new editions, but sounds like The Convoy may have less flavor in the new title (something like areas/cities losing unique modifiers). Can anyone speak to chasing the current games vs waiting for the new? What's the ETA on these?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 08:46 #219551 by Legomancer
I am the guy who loves The New Era. 51st State was the original game. New Era was marketed as an expansion for it, but it's actually a re-do of it which is, in my opinion, much better. Winter sands off the rough edges and makes for a great tableau-building game, a little more Pax Porfiriana than RFTG. The iconography and rulebook is tough, but I made player aids which are available on BGG that should make it much easier to learn how to play. The New Era is one of my top 10, if not top 5 games. Highly thematic, a nice amount of thoughtful conflict, and a lot of variety. Plays 2-3 just fine, 4 is a little long, 5 can be very long. (Imperial Settlers is a more streamlined, fluffier version of TNE and it's fine, but I prefer the rougher, sloppier one.)

51st State can be had for dirt cheap. The major difference between it and TNE is the lack of interaction. In 51st State alone you can't attack the other players' locations. New Era allows you to do that and also "trade" with them. But it's not just a confrontational free-for-all, as attacking locations often helps the victim more than it helps you. You won't want to just mow locations down. You CAN retrofit attacking into 51S but honestly, just roll with The New Era to begin with.

I don't know much about the announced edition. It sounds like it may be a sort of "big box" thing, basically taking cards from TNE, Winter, Ruins, and 51S and publishing them all as a single edition. If the rulebook gets cleaned up as well, it may be worth waiting for, but I haven't heard any actual news on it other than it's coming out.

The Convoy is 2-players only. It's not the same as New Era or N. Hex. It's an asymmetrical game that's more like Battle Line, Omen, or any of those other games where you're fighting over either side of a row of cards. It's okay, but I haven't played the new edition of it yet, which may make it a little easier to pick up and play. The guy I play a lot of 2p stuff with, we have a LOT of options when we get together, and it hasn't really bubbled to the top of the list like, say, Theseus has.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
11 Jan 2016 08:54 - 11 Jan 2016 09:40 #219553 by Mr. White
Would you recommend New Era without Winter? Winter looks oop and pricey. Perhaps sitting on my hands for a few months and waiting for news on the new edition is worth it.

Anyway, in New Era does each player play as one of the NH factions or are you working with an assortment of cards with pictures of characters/units from all the factions. If the latter is the case, I'll lose interest. I like the feel that I'm playing a specific faction moreso than just having cool pictures on cards. (Like in that Nightfall deckbuilder game. The setting is supposed to be vamps v werewolves and such, but in practice you have both in your hand. I'm not into it.)
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 09:40 by Mr. White.

More
11 Jan 2016 09:33 - 11 Jan 2016 09:34 #219561 by hotseatgames
Neuroshima Hex! is my favorite game. I have 2.5 edition, and I think I have 12 armies or so. It doesn't hit the table as much as I'd like anymore. But every now and then. I've always wanted to try with 5 or 6 players, where the board expands. It's probably not the greatest that way though, and we have so many other better options for that player count.

Also, even with all those armies, I still love Hegemony from the base game the most. Netting people is the best way to upset them.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 09:34 by hotseatgames.

More
11 Jan 2016 10:23 #219575 by bfkiller

hotseatgames wrote: I've always wanted to try [Neuroshima Hex!] with 5 or 6 players, where the board expands. It's probably not the greatest that way though, and we have so many other better options for that player count.

A friend of mine plays an annual 8-player game with 4 teams of 2. I haven't tried it but it's pretty popular among the guys that tend to take part in it.

More
11 Jan 2016 11:31 #219598 by Legomancer
In New Era (which is just fine without Winter), you are a faction. The differences between factions are what they produce and what faction alliances (essentially powers) they have. Beyond that you're all working with the same deck of cards because the idea is that you're scouting the wasteland, finding these things, and either controlling them, negotiating with them, or conquering them. Basically, your faction will help determine what you're good at.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
11 Feb 2016 09:46 - 11 Feb 2016 11:20 #222253 by Mr. White
Yay!

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/192458/51st-state-master-set

(Though I'm not super excited about the cover. I think the original 51st state is the best one of this series of games.)

EDIT: The threads read like this is more of an Imperial Settlers retheme, a second edition of 51st State if you will, rather than a complete collection of the 51st State series. Anyone who has also played Imperial Settlers...what are your thoughts on this?

EDIT II: I also like the old portal symbol. The new one is too cute...really, Portal?

EDIT III: the bgg entry lists about 188 cards. What? Surely that big box and the $50 price means there's more than 200 cards and a few wooden tokens.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 11:20 by Mr. White.

More
25 Feb 2016 12:22 #223285 by Legomancer
The rulebook for the 51st State Master Set has been posted. It sure sounds like just a retheme of Imperial Settlers, but they're still making noise that a lot of the seemingly missing elements are still present in the cards, somehow:

The Rules are Here!

More
06 Mar 2016 12:25 #223860 by Mr. White
Looks like Portal has lowered the bar on the 'stretch goals' so the fiction and, more importantly, the two new factions have been met.

I think I'm now convinced this is worth backing.

More
07 Mar 2016 08:01 #223900 by Legomancer
I already backed, but thank god for this. I can't imagine getting hyped for fiction. I guess some people read those? But the factions, that's where it's at.

Over on BGG there's a split over the tone of the rulebook. There's this jokey, "Hey, bro, let's get razin!" tone that some folks are liking and some (myself included) are doing some serious eye-rolling about. I don't think it actually interferes with getting the rules across too much, which can be the case when rulebooks try to be funny, but it's off-putting to me and annoying. Still, looking forward to it.

More
07 Mar 2016 08:09 - 07 Mar 2016 08:39 #223903 by Mr. White
I'm one who's interested in the fiction. I've always enjoyed playing games set in game specific universes (warhammer, shadowrun, etc) as opposed to licensed from movies (star wars and co.). A post-apoc game specific IP does interest me and I've enjoyed what little I've read on the NH armies. I do wish I had my hands on an English copy of the rpg though.

However, I agree, the two factions are where it's at and what has convinced me this is worth pre-ordering as opposed to waiting til retail...where I assume there will only be 4 factions in the box.

Still, I don't really follow the factions in these games. I asked over at BGG, but why does 51st State use the Mutant Union? Is this the same as NH's Borgo? If so, why not just use Borgo? Why not replace the Appalachian Federation with Mississippi or Uranoopolis? Ultimately, it's not important, but I'm interested.

EDIT: regarding the tone of the rule book. I prefer the more serious bent of what little NH 3.0 offers. Though I can swing with a little humor if the rules are being narrated by a specific character or something. It doesn't seem to overly bother me in the 51st State Master Set rules, but I don't know if I want that tone for the setting as a whole. It's not as bad as the 'jokes' that smiling jack clown used to scatter throughout the early Savage Worlds rule books. oy vey!
Last edit: 07 Mar 2016 08:39 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds