October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Heroscape favourites

More
20 Jan 2016 18:01 - 20 Jan 2016 18:42 #220366 by SuperFlySwatter
Alright, while I'm mired in the unwinnable battle against compulsive addictive collectionism, I thought it would be fun to hear what you lot who have no doubt had the pleasure of owning and playing all this shit for the best part of a decade while the plebs didnt know about it, to see what some of your favourites are

I'll keep it simple, but feel free to add any other comments, polls, discussions, or insights you like

I'm not at the point (and probably wont ever be) of "synergising", I couldnt give a rats arse really, I am mostly looking forward to playing for fun with the coolest looking bunch of misfits in plastic, so when I say name your favourite or best I dont mean "oo that one rolls 3 dice, bonds with this guy and ignores height when moving", but more "this guy looks the shit", well fuck it, lets make two separate categories so you can also opine in terms of how good the units are in, just yer opinion man.

Category One: "The Look"
  1. Favourite Individual Hero (monster sized)
  2. Favourite Individual Hero (man sized)
  3. Favourite Squad:
  4. Favourite expansion pack (eg the named ones in each wave that ususally included a couple of squads)
  5. Favourite unit (for fun factor, not necessarily "tournament viable")
  6. Least Favourite Unit (for looks)

Category Two "The Skillz"
  2. Favourite Individual Hero (man sized)
  3. Favourite Squad:
  4. Favourite expansion pack (eg the named ones in each wave that ususally included a couple of squads)
  5. Favourite unit (for bad ass in game abilityness)
  6. Most annoying unit (to be on opponents side)

PS
I will try not to weep too much at the crushing subheading under Aquilas Alliance Heroes of the Quagmire on heroscapers "sold for about 20 dollars" OMFG. current ebay price at least ten times that
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 18:42 by SuperFlySwatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2016 18:23 #220371 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Heroscape favourites

1. Favourite unit (for bad ass in game abilityness)
  2. Most annoying unit (to be on opponents side)

I don't play nearly enough to opine here with any authority. But Silver Surfer from MARVEL HEROSCAPE is pretty fucking rad. We just have RotV and Marvel and Silver Surfer is _so dominant_ that he's banned unless it's Dad against the 7yo. And he looks fly as hell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperFlySwatter

More
20 Jan 2016 18:48 - 20 Jan 2016 19:07 #220374 by SuperFlySwatter
I am my own worst enemy because I should have just bought the Marvel base set, and avoided the black hole that is the rest of the HS collection. Yeah its all good but I could have kind of pretended it didnt exist and just get the complete Marvel set, job done, wallet relaxed.

The follow up sculpts were awesome though, shame they never got released
look at these bad boys
www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=34165

I dont really understand the pricing, some amazing looking units are cheap as chips (Silver Surfer for one), while others, like those crappy ass spiders are well expensive

not to mention I could have just used the metric fuckton of heroclix minis I basically gave away a couple of years back............
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 19:07 by SuperFlySwatter.

More
22 Jan 2016 18:35 #220633 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Heroscape favourites
Favourite Individual Hero (monster sized)
Is there anything better than a Grimnak chomp? I don't think so.

Favourite Individual Hero (man sized)
Sgt. Drake is the man!

Favourite Squad:
I love the Krav Maga Agents. Stealth Dodge is amazing.

Favourite expansion pack (eg the named ones in each wave that ususally included a couple of squads)
Minions and Drones

Favourite unit (for fun factor, not necessarily "tournament viable")
I like the Airborne Elite. So fun when they hit their drop at just the right time then start shooting and grenading everyone.

Least Favourite Unit (for looks)
Othkurik the black dragon - I love the card, just hate that he doesn't look much like a dragon.

Favourite Individual Hero (monster sized)
Nilfheim - now that's what a dragon should look like and he's a powerhouse!

Favourite Individual Hero (man sized)
The original Raelin is the best unit in the game. Should probably get banned and just let people use the one from Swarm of the Marro instead.

Favourite Squad:
Krav Maga yet again!

Favourite expansion pack (eg the named ones in each wave that ususally included a couple of squads)
Warriors of the Ghostlight Fen - The Fen Hydra and Phantom Knights are both killer units.

Favourite unit (for bad ass in game abilityness)
Tor-Kul-Na because he tramples dudes and eats Nagrubs to heal.

Most annoying unit (to be on opponents side)
original Raelin
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SuperFlySwatter

More
22 Jan 2016 23:15 #220644 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Heroscape favourites
Don't know if I can answer all of these, but when I'm playing against my son and his friends I like to take a horde of orcs, wolves, ogres, giants, etc. The mass looks good on the table and they get excited plowing through the mooks.

If playing with the Marvel characters, I like Cap with the revolutionary war guys (both sides).

If I'm rolling whatever, I like to use cowboys and natives of some mix or I like to go hawkmen. DIIIVE!

More
23 Jan 2016 03:11 #220650 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Heroscape favourites
  2. Sujoah
  3. Favourite Individual Hero (man sized)
  4. Ulginesh
  5. Favourite Squad:
  6. Minions of Utgar
  7. Favourite expansion pack (eg the named ones in each wave that ususally included a couple of squads)
  8. Heroes of Durgeth
  9. Favourite unit (for fun factor, not necessarily "tournament viable")
  10. Deathwalker 7000
  11. Least Favourite Unit (for looks)
  12. Venoc Vipers

More
23 Jan 2016 04:02 #220652 by MacDirk Diggler
Alastair MacDirk

More
31 Jan 2016 15:08 - 31 Jan 2016 15:22 #221194 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Heroscape favourites
I spent entirely too much time discussing and playing Heroscape. It is what brought me back to tabletop gaming and I think it's a good litmus test to see if people like having fun with games. If you don't believe me, just find "Jexik" on heroscapers.com

2. Grimnak. Orc on a T-Rex.
  4. Kaemon Awa, the Samurai hero from Wave 6 looks pretty sweet.
  5. Favourite Squad:
  6. Axegrinders of the Burning Forge. Dwarves are cool, and wave 9 had some of the best paint jobs.
  7. Favourite expansion pack (eg the named ones in each wave that ususally included a couple of squads)
  8. Grut Orcs was pretty great- Blade and Arrow Gruts together make a cohesive looking force. The roman legion was a fun one from the same wave
  9. Favourite unit (for fun factor, not necessarily "tournament viable")
  10. Mimring's fire line special attack is really unique. The Airborne Elite are up there too. RotV had some of the most interesting designs.
  11. Least Favourite Unit (for looks)
  12. I don't know. Dünd looks pretty dumb and isn't very good either.

2. Grimnak. Orc on a T-Rex who is tournament viable. is there any other answer? Honorable Mentions: Krug, Nilfheim
  4. Raelin (the 80-point one from RotV) is deceptively powerful. She was in nearly every competitive army for awhile there. She passively makes everything else better.
  5. Favourite Squad:
  6. Gladiatrons and Blastatrons look very cool, are very fun to play, and are very powerful, so can maybe be less fun to lose to. Also you need a bunch of them to really play them, and the Gladiatrons are expensive now so...
  8. I already said Grut Orcs, so many the one with the Shades and Orcs... I forget the exact name.
  9. Favourite unit (for bad ass in game abilityness)
  10. I really like Nilfheim a lot, although he can be fragile for his cost at times. With the Greenscales from the first D&D wave, backed by Raelin... watch out! Okay, more "synergy" than you care to know about.
  11. Most annoying unit (to be on opponents side)
  12. Deathreavers, hands-down. They're really the only "control" unit in Heroscape. They exist to decrease your opponent's enjoyment and interrupt their turns. The odd quirk is that they helped make heroes tournament viable, since they essentially common-ize your heroes' life points. Major Q9 was pretty notorious too, because he had a habit of just never dying and slowly whittling you down.

Really, you can't go wrong if you think the unit looks like fun. The figures from the Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set are essential, both for fun and trying to win. Waves 1, and 2 (Maliddon's Prophecy and Utgar's Rage) do an excellent job of expanding that Master Set (although you could do without Minions and Drones), and all of the large figure packs are cool. I wouldn't pay the exorbitant Aquilla's Alliance prices though. The first one (Dünd, Charos, Brunak, Deathwalker 8k, and Su-Bak-Na) is still quite reasonable. Nilfheim, Major Q9, and to a lesser extent Braxas from the middle one can be game-warpingly good, vs. squads, but will get their faces kicked in by the Marvel guys or Krug from Wave 2. Wave 9 is also a favorite of mine.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2016 15:22 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperFlySwatter

More
31 Jan 2016 17:45 #221206 by SuperFlySwatter
I didnt need to look you up to recognise you from reading stuff at HS, fuck but it didnt register that id seen your user name here as well (I recognised it from BGG). Awesome, you are a legend of HS dude, or at least, you did some great stuff. Thanks for the follow up!

Ive bought too much stuff so I might consolidate and trade off or sell off a bit and focus on a bit more synergistic warbands that look cool together.

More
31 Jan 2016 19:20 #221213 by Jexik
I don't know- I'm the guy who borrowed figures so he could run 6x 4th Massachusetts Line at his first tournament. I'm heavily on the "squadscape" side of things. I was turned the first time that I tried 2x Blade Gruts with Grimnak and 2x Arrow Gruts with Krug.

You can have a lot of fun if you just grab a large hero expansion and a few of the other "Heroes of X" packs. Unique figures are also fun if you're doing a draft. I miss that first couple weeks of drafting for the scenarios that we found in the booklet, trying not to knock over that plateau in Migol's Tomb...

More
01 Feb 2016 12:11 #221272 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Heroscape favourites
I'm a big fan of the Anubians + Khosumet + Minions + Taelord.

Yes, I said Taelord.

More
01 Feb 2016 12:15 #221273 by Jexik
lol, does Khosumet boost the Minions with an adjacency bonus? That has to be hard to set up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
01 Feb 2016 12:21 #221274 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Heroscape favourites
2x Anubians + 2x Minions + Kho + Taelord.

You basically move the bosses with the underlings, keeping them in a setup where Khosumet is surrounded, with Taelord trailing by 2-3 spaces. The real bitch is walking with Minions, so that Khosumet can keep up!

When it works, it's brutal. I ended up really getting lucky playing at Rychean's house and mopping his orc army up, but they don't stand up well vs. ranged armies, obviously.

More
01 Feb 2016 21:40 #221321 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Heroscape favourites
My son would play with those vampire, life sucking combos. They were unstoppable.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds