October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Android: Mainframe

More
09 Feb 2016 14:39 #222080 by Jackwraith
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/9/android-mainframe/

Hm. Sounds kinda cool. Only 30 minutes, though?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2016 14:48 #222083 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Android: Mainframe
Looks like a cute light abstract.

More
09 Feb 2016 15:01 - 09 Feb 2016 15:02 #222088 by JMcL63
Replied by JMcL63 on topic Android: Mainframe

I like the look of it. Probably worth a punt for my games group.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 15:02 by JMcL63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
09 Feb 2016 15:06 #222091 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Android: Mainframe
Yeah, that looks pretty neat. I'll try it.

More
09 Feb 2016 16:37 #222107 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Android: Mainframe

JMcL63 wrote:

#WitnessTheMainframe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Feb 2016 16:57 - 09 Feb 2016 17:17 #222109 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Android: Mainframe
Cool to see them continuing to branch out with an in-house brand. The Android universe is the only line of FFG's that has my interest...but it's still just too bright. All these characters look like perfectly unblemished models. However, since I've never actually read anything on the Android universe maybe cosmetic surgery or gene modification is a big thing so everyone looking perfect is part of the deal.

Can anyone school me on the themes of this universe? Why is it so bright and colorful when 2020 and SR are appropriately set in the rain...and in the dark? I've considered buying one or two of their novels, but I haven't even read real recent sci-fi literature like Leviathian Wakes...does a 41 year old dude need to be buying these sort of trashy tie-in novels? Embarrassing...

This game, specifically, looks fun. Appears to be $35 and in the same box size as BB:TM which is my favorite game size. Looks like that board is hard plastic too, but I can't shake the feeling I've been playing this game since about 3rd grade...

Now, FFG, bring on the rpg.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 17:17 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Frohike

More
09 Feb 2016 17:23 #222116 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Android: Mainframe

Mr. White wrote: Can anyone school me on the themes of this universe? Why is it so bright and colorful when 2020 and SR are appropriately set in the rain...and in the dark? I've considered buying one or two of their novels, but I haven't even read real recent sci-fi literature like Leviathian Wakes...does a 41 year old dude need to be buying these sort of trashy tie-in novels? Embarrassing...

Some of the early cyberpunk stories had their roots in hard-boiled detective stories of an earlier era, including the rain and the darkness. Android seems visually different enough to rate a different term. Maybe cybershiny? Cybergloss? Cyberfab?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
09 Feb 2016 17:30 #222118 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Android: Mainframe
I think the seemingly bright world works and am glad they did away with the always nighttime, always raining stereotype.

More
09 Feb 2016 17:33 - 09 Feb 2016 17:36 #222120 by Mr. White
This isn't a smart ass comment, but how does it work for the setting? Android appears more utopian and less dystopian. Is it? Is it not really a cyberpunk but a transhuman world?
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 17:36 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Feb 2016 17:33 #222121 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Android: Mainframe

Mad Dog wrote: I think the seemingly bright world works and am glad they did away with the always nighttime, always raining stereotype.

I might agree if the results weren't so bland.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
09 Feb 2016 19:40 - 09 Feb 2016 19:41 #222131 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Android: Mainframe
Just waiting for the shooting games...

BTW, for those who don't have time to read, it's a bit like go. You place your token, and then try to completely surround it using the blue sticks. You place blue sticks by picking one of available programs or using a special ability. Once you have a closed area with *only* your token on it, the area is "secured" and you'll score for that at the end of the game. Abstract with a theme, and I think it's pretty good, but could be bland.

I like it bright so when the noir comes you can *really* feel it.

Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 19:41 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, JMcL63

More
09 Feb 2016 22:09 - 09 Feb 2016 22:10 #222140 by Mr. White
I dunno, Sevej, that picture looks to...happy.

I like the box cover to this Mainframe game, but even there it looks like 3-4 characters are smiling or giving pleasant smirks. Not an attitude to be found.

Again, I guess it's just my perception of what is or isn't cyberpunk, but these images look like something more out of the Mega Man universe rather than anything William Gibson had in mind. It feels really sanitized.

But maybe there's also a cultural disconnect I'm having. Cyberpunk was born of literature, film, and music of a specific era. The Android universe doesn't have any of that, but is a scrubbed up glossy take on a similar setting, but without all the cultural touchstones. It feels...cheap, plastic. I guess it's how I feel Rune Age or World of Warcraft is to original Warhammer or early D&D. The former are inspired by games, the later by outside media and world events.

I'm fully willing to concede if the setting really is less about cyberpunk and more about transhumanism though. It appears that way from the aesthetics, but in the fluff snippets for the games I want to say I'm reading the words 'cyberpunk' and 'dystopia'. I'm just not getting that vibe though.

One positive, this makes the setting and its games easier to game with the family that's for sure.

Guess it doesn't matter...I'll probably own a lot of it when all is said and done...

Still, that may be my favorite game cover since that first Chaos in the Old World one. Kudos, FFG!
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 22:10 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, Frohike

More
09 Feb 2016 22:36 #222142 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Android: Mainframe
I mean it's nice that the pictures make people want to have a cyberpunk discussion but this will have as much to do with cyberpunk as ...listening to Black Flag while cybering someone? The only thing moving this off the completely abstract lot will be the probably one-shot special use cards. It's practically a retheme of Through the Desert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Feb 2016 23:11 - 09 Feb 2016 23:14 #222146 by JMcL63
Replied by JMcL63 on topic Android: Mainframe
Sevej's picture strikes just the right note for me- pure cyberpunk comicbook with heavy manga influence. It's perfect for Android.

Sevej wrote:

It's certainly far from the mean streets of the original cyberpunk visions of Gibson and Bladerunner.

Android's world creation is just the copy and graphic design of a game setting which so far lives on most successfully as an LCG. The link to physical game parts means that the aesthetic favours gloss and glamour over the grim and grimy of prose and cinema. This new game may be abstract, but it has attractive physical components offering a combination of hand management and area control. In 30 minutes? Colour me interested.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 23:14 by JMcL63.

More
09 Feb 2016 23:21 #222149 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Android: Mainframe

JMcL63 wrote:

I like the look of it. Probably worth a punt for my games group.

They've rethemed Santiago!

The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, Legomancer, Jackwraith, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds