October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Kingdom Death. How to screw up, and be awesome

More
18 Feb 2016 08:56 #222738 by iguanaDitty
Too bad it's not anime boobs, then we could have a real pile-on!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2016 09:54 - 18 Feb 2016 10:26 #222741 by Gary Sax
I have to call you on this, Barnes. How could you possibly think this design has mainstream appeal based on what you've read about it? Ignoring the minis and production... a punishing, detailed, long campaign game?
Last edit: 18 Feb 2016 10:26 by Gary Sax.

More
18 Feb 2016 09:59 #222743 by metalface13

Mr. White wrote: Kingdom.
Death.
Monster.

I can't think of any three more nondescript words in gaming. That unimaginative title, the juvenile minis, the KS exclusives...there's nothing about this game that makes me want to play it. I guess it could be called a 'luxury' or 'premium' game or what not simply because of price or availability (Like that Cthulhu Wars thing), and it sounds like there may be a few neat bells and whistles, but at the end of the day it's really just pushing minis and rolling dice. Been doing that for 30 years. Nothing else that much more interesting to warrant the price.

Kingdom Death: Monster? I'd rather play Drakon.

What has me interested is the campaign play and the AI monster behavior sounds interesting and challenging. Everything else, not so much. I'd rather buy some old minis and play Necromunda, Mordheim or try something new like Frostgrave or homebrewed like Inquisimunda.

More
18 Feb 2016 10:15 - 18 Feb 2016 10:19 #222744 by Jexik

Alastair MacDirk wrote: I may get my head kicked in given the current PC atmosphere, however.......

I like the pinups. There is a huge precedent set for women to be depicted in this manner by the art of Frazetta. There is a time and a place for everything and a fantasy setting is it.

No doubt the minis in this game are unlike no other... Unbelievable really. And those pinups are gorgeous.

This isn't coming from a righteous place. I love cleavage as much as the next guy. I just thought that if a game needed to do that to get noticed, there might not be much of a game there.

The stuff costing a lot more now I can kind of get, because this guy had never made a game before. He had no idea about the economics of the market he was stepping into, (which is yet another reason to have been cautious). So instead of just saying, "sorry guys, this isn't gonna get made," and disappearing into some dark corner, he honored all of his initial pledges, but recognized that making any more at that price was unsustainable.

White's right though. The name is pretty lame. And I should probably be content dropping around 100 bucks on 5e books and enjoying that for a long time. But I keep thinking about this one a lot, and wanting to play it more than three times a month.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2016 10:19 by Jexik.

More
18 Feb 2016 10:17 #222745 by Michael Barnes

Gary Sax wrote: I have to call you on this< Barnes. How could you possibly think this design on mainstream appeal based on what you've read about it? Ignoring the minis and production... a punishing, detailed, long campaign game?

Well, you wouldn't think Dark Souls would be mainstream either...

I'm not really talking about mainstream appeal anyway. What I'm saying is that this could be a major hobby sector brand. Maybe not D&D/40k/Magic level, but the tier below. Casting it as a "boutique" game cuts its potential reach off at the head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Feb 2016 10:34 #222747 by MacDirk Diggler
I just found out.

THE PINUPS ARE NOT IN THE GAME!!!!!,
They were only offered as separate purchases for people that wanted to buy something "extra". Half of the human models for the game are women which is a huge percentage leap over WH40k. The human female models have more modest armor choices.

I have seen enough episodes of the Shark Tank to know that getting someone to put up a couple of million to turn your idea into a sellable commodity in a retail establishment is no easy task. I don't have Barnes game market overview, but I fail to see this as a game that will have a broad enough appeal that it could compete in the space of WH40k or DnD. Besides which, this is only second guessing after you see the thing released. You didn't think enough about its "pitch" to fund it initially on Kickstarter but think that some game company would have seen the potential and printed it? If the game has legs, what is to stop him from self distributing it via the Internet and reprinting it? Also, have you even played it yet? What makes you think it's any good?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Feb 2016 10:59 #222748 by Mr. White
Well, if y'all missed out on the titillation of Kingdom Death: *yawn* Monster...there's still time to get in on...'Space Crusade'

www.polyhedroncollider.com/2016/02/space-crusade-returns.html

More
18 Feb 2016 11:01 #222749 by Michael Barnes
I'll tell you that if I were still in the retail business I would be doing my best to get into a conversation with Adam Poots to arrange an exclusive distribution/retail deal. And working that price point down, offering entry level product.

I totally think this game could be a success on the level of Warmachine or some of the better selling board games out there. I can see at least 10 years of this product line- assuming that it could be broken into not-$400 SKUs- doing well at hobby retail. What I don't think is that it has "household name" potential.

I haven't played it, but I've read enough and seen enough to know that the concept is a success. I may not even like the game, but I think it is an innovative concept that speaks to a lot of recent trends in both video and board gaming.

More
18 Feb 2016 11:04 #222750 by charlest
I think he has no interest in selling it at retail and wants to keep doing his thing. He printed 10k copies, which is ridiculous. That's 4k in overage I believe.

I think it's selling relatively well and the expansions will sell too.

More
18 Feb 2016 12:14 #222754 by Space Ghost
This, and Cthulhu Wars to a lesser extent, seem to be exactly what Kickstarter was made for -- boutique games that wouldn't get made otherwise.

More
18 Feb 2016 12:53 #222759 by Michael Barnes
No...I used to think that...but the truth is that they would have been made, they would have been funded differently (like by venture capital) and they would die on the vine because they wouldn't have had the built-in marketing of crowdfunding and social media to support them at retail.

Thinking about it, there have always been these kinds of games...big, expensive WTF is the publisher thinking things. Wacht am Rhine, Nin-Gonost, Hybrid, Master Thieves, Duel of Ages...

But the thing is, KD:M and Cthulhu Wars are now proven successes...both of which I think would continue at retail. IF prices were brought more in line with comparatives.

I saw on BGG someone commented that the retail KD:M buyers are effectively paying for the massive production overage and for the backers to be able to get their stuff at the mis-projected price point. And that's really kind of true. HOWEVER, it is still selling, so that says that it is an effective, desirable product.

More
18 Feb 2016 12:56 - 23 Feb 2016 18:02 #222761 by Cranberries
www.reddit.com/r/armoredwomen
their motto: reasonable. functional.

Edit: removed images from Space Crusade, because crossed the line from satire to disturbing.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2016 18:02 by Cranberries.

More
18 Feb 2016 13:49 #222764 by Jexik
Yeah, I'm not gonna back that game either.

More
18 Feb 2016 14:04 #222765 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote:
I saw on BGG someone commented that the retail KD:M buyers are effectively paying for the massive production overage and for the backers to be able to get their stuff at the mis-projected price point. And that's really kind of true. HOWEVER, it is still selling, so that says that it is an effective, desirable product.

If it is still selling, then maybe the price is ok? Kind of like the ferrari vs. toyota corolla example you used in the other thread for Armada vs. Talon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Feb 2016 15:34 #222778 by Sagrilarus

Space Ghost wrote: If it is still selling, then maybe the price is ok?

If it's still selling the price is OK. Why the price is where it is more or less unimportant. And if keeping the price sky-high makes the product harder to attain and therefore more desirable then good on the publisher, even more so as they're a small operation. It's the iPhone of boardgames.

That said, are you people crazy? Who'd pay that much for a game?
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlieturtle

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds