October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Descent 2d Edition "Road to Legend" announced.

More
15 Mar 2016 22:10 #224421 by Frohike
FFG announced that they will release an app that will act as an AI Overlord player but also introduce new elements like gradual tile placement (not sure if the maps are dynamic or are set layouts).

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/3/15/road-to-legend/

As lukewarm as I've been about app enhanced board games, this is an implementation that makes sense. Not integral to the game itself, but if no one wants the Overlord role, this is an option. It also obviously makes the game attractive to solo players.

I know this will be an enticement for me to pick up 2nd edition again after ditching it a couple of years ago.

Now if they'll implement something similar for Imperial Assault, I might buy into that system a bit more as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2016 00:23 - 16 Mar 2016 00:24 #224423 by hotseatgames
I'm interested. I also won't be surprised if it doesn't run on my old ipad 2. But there will be a PC version and I've been thinking about getting a new laptop.

Going through their page, they make it sound like it doesn't include the campaign from the base game; that its campaign material is all custom to it. Is that how you interpreted it as well?
Last edit: 16 Mar 2016 00:24 by hotseatgames.

More
16 Mar 2016 00:50 - 16 Mar 2016 02:05 #224424 by Frohike
Their descriptions of the campaigns and their titles leads me to assume that they are unique to the app. And they didn't describe anything about the base campaign from the box so I'm pretty sure they're not going to port the analog campaigns over, which makes sense considering some of the tweaks they're making to other game behaviors.

For instance, I'm not sure what I think about one aspect of the app that I noticed in one of the screenshots:

It implies that the app doesn't just provide an AI and unique monster behaviors but also puts restrictions on player actions. Something about that bugs me. It feels like it spreads the artificiality of the AI into equally artificial restrictions upon the human players and their allowed enactment of the game using the standard rules.

This seems invasive, like a bit of a cop-out to boost the difficulty when the monster behavior isn't reactive or difficult enough for skilled players with full agency. It's like a shitty DM suddenly proclaiming, "Um... you're all stunned now" "Wait, what? How did that happen? Can I roll a check?" "Um... sure?"

Very interesting idea overall, though. I'm curious to see how it pans out.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2016 02:05 by Frohike.

More
16 Mar 2016 01:52 #224425 by Sevej
I'll be happy if the rules allow for monsters directly jumping to engage, without players having to find the "shortest path"...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
16 Mar 2016 08:46 #224430 by charlest
Need this for Claustrophobia.

More
16 Mar 2016 10:29 #224438 by Columbob

Frohike wrote: It implies that the app doesn't just provide an AI and unique monster behaviors but also puts restrictions on player actions. Something about that bugs me. It feels like it spreads the artificiality of the AI into equally artificial restrictions upon the human players and their allowed enactment of the game using the standard rules.

This seems invasive, like a bit of a cop-out to boost the difficulty when the monster behavior isn't reactive or difficult enough for skilled players with full agency. It's like a shitty DM suddenly proclaiming, "Um... you're all stunned now" "Wait, what? How did that happen? Can I roll a check?" "Um... sure?"

I'm pretty sure that's to compensate for the absence of OL cards. In the first PoD coop, I found it was a bit over the top and pretty much negated all monster weaknesses.

This app sounds great, wonder how much it will cost though, DLC campaigns as well.

It's good that they've sorta realized they had plenty of physical products for the game already. If you've been keeping up, that's 6 boxed expansions + figures for every lieutenant featured, 3 coop PoD scenarios, 9 boxes of redrawn D1 heroes/monsters, 1 campaign book. It's a big game and their bestseller, but how far can you take it?

More
16 Mar 2016 10:48 #224442 by metalface13
sounds cool, but at what point should I just opt for Warhammer Quest on my iPad instead?

More
16 Mar 2016 18:49 - 16 Mar 2016 18:51 #224496 by birdman37

metalface13 wrote: sounds cool, but at what point should I just opt for Warhammer Quest on my iPad instead?

Count the number of players in the room. Is it equal to one? ;)

Descent kinda flopped for me and the kids, mainly because I was forced to be the Overlord, and blah blah blah... Also, the paper-based co-ops were a bit of a mess, and very hard to get hold of down here in Oz. This might just get it back out of the closet for us.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2016 18:51 by birdman37.

More
13 Jun 2016 15:40 #228899 by Columbob
So...the first big campaign is free!?! Get your downloads!

More
13 Jun 2016 16:36 #228900 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, isn't that a surprise. I guess the mini campaign was kind of a public stress test. I'm going to start it tonight I think.

More
13 Jun 2016 20:34 #228908 by Sevej
Next week the wife's going back to her parents with my daughter for two weeks. I'm going to miss them so much, but that provides the much needed time to solo this!

And FFG is great for giving the first big campaign free (although I think it's downsized)!

More
14 Jun 2016 09:59 #228923 by Columbob
I think the app has spurred on sales of the many expansions. They're just roping us in.

More
14 Jun 2016 16:44 #228947 by southernman
OK, while I still think this is great (especially getting a full and mini quest for free) I've just realised you can only play campaigns FFG write for thsi. I somehow thought the app could be set to play the OL for the campaigns you already own - it can't so if you already have quite a few expansions you are probably going to play those, with a real OL, at least at first and probably for awhile instead of the app campaign(s). It be useful if they could provide the existing campaigns for download using your game serial number (that FFG games have) as a key but probably too much to ask/
Someone tell me if I'm wrong but after opening the app all I can see is start one of two campaigns provided with it.

More
14 Jun 2016 18:07 #228949 by Frohike
Yes, it locks you into the campaigns that FFG has specifically written for the app. A "sandbox" mode would be nice for scenario designers but that would increase the scope of the app substantially.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds