October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

I just bought a bunch of Talisman stuff. What did I do?

More
16 Apr 2016 20:30 #225981 by drewcula
Egg Shen authored a great review for a Talisman expansion back in January. I read it out of context, having never played the game. His passion for the franchise got me scratchin' the 'ol noggin. Maybe I should buy Talisman.

Today, it happened. Thank you Craigslist?

I bought FFG's 4th ed., The City, The Highland, and The Reaper. Inserts were tossed from the expansions, otherwise it's in fab condition.

$60. Until I haggled him down to $50.

Somewhere out there, I feel my 2015 Secret Satan is grinning in my general direction.

F:ATties, did I do good?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2016 14:28 #226005 by SuperflyPete
Did real good, brother.

I was a Talisman Denier for a long time - Timescape was the only reason I'd ever play. I HATEHATEHATEHATE the stock end-game (Crown of Command Whack-a-Mole) and refuse to play it - we always just said that whomever got it won.

That said, the Frostmarch expansion totally made me a true believer (not to be confused with a True Beleiver (TM)) and now I play fairly often.

My stock setup is Base+Frostmarch+Reaper and one sideboard. I like Dungeon the best, myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
17 Apr 2016 17:13 #226012 by drewcula
Thanks Pete. I was a super bad F:ATtie, not searching more threads before posting. It seems most of us here have embraced Relic in lieu of Talisman. That's cool, and I'll keep on the lookout for a bargain. In the meantime, I'm gonna crack this Talisman nut with a few solo variants - then invite my regulars to the table.

I'm approaching this from a nostalgic angle. I played the shit out of Dungeon! when I was a boy. Had I known about Talisman, it would most certainly have been my next step.

More
17 Apr 2016 17:20 #226013 by SuperflyPete
I'm not of the mind that a game that has been improved is no longer valid. Keep playing Tally until you are weary of it, then get Relic. I still haven't played it and knowing it exists has not impacted my love of Talisman even a little bit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Apr 2016 17:38 #226015 by Mr. White
Yeah, Talisman is a 30year old classic and will continue to be a classic in the future. Relic may be 'modernized' or whatever but it doesn't replace Talisman. Don't buy into cult of the new hype.

I prefer the base game with the Reaper expansion, but here's a bit I wrote up some time ago on the game: fortressat.com/forum/10-ameritrash/118291-let-s-talk-talisman

More
17 Apr 2016 17:50 #226016 by Gary Sax
I think the theming in Talisman is way better than Relic, even if there have been solid mechanical tweaks.

More
17 Apr 2016 18:38 #226018 by Cambyses

Gary Sax wrote: I think the theming in Talisman is way better than Relic, even if there have been solid mechanical tweaks.

I think I agree with this. The theming makes Talisman more fun and light-hearted, I think, but I have to say that after playing Relic, returning to Talisman feels like it's missing a little oomph.

More
18 Apr 2016 19:10 #226088 by SuperflyPete
I always wished there was a skill progression in Tally - it would be awesome if the characters had their signature skills get better if you accomplish set goals.

More
20 Apr 2016 21:24 #226182 by Egg Shen

drewcula wrote: Thanks Pete. I was a super bad F:ATtie, not searching more threads before posting. It seems most of us here have embraced Relic in lieu of Talisman. That's cool, and I'll keep on the lookout for a bargain. In the meantime, I'm gonna crack this Talisman nut with a few solo variants - then invite my regulars to the table.

I'm approaching this from a nostalgic angle. I played the shit out of Dungeon! when I was a boy. Had I known about Talisman, it would most certainly have been my next step.

Damn...you got an awesome deal on the game and those expansions. Just find some like minded folks that like to have a good time and you'll have a blast. For anyone new to Talisman I always direct them to this awesome article that Aarontu wrote many years ago:

fortressat.com/analysis-toc/1307-a-fresh-look-at-talisman

It gives you some idea about what to expect with the game. Yes it's roll and move. Yes it's flip a card and see what happens. BUT it's about taking risks and knowing when to push your luck. The game is a race to the Crown. Many people spend too much time overleveling instead of going for the win. That's when you get those dreaded 6 hour games that people complain about.

As for Relic...I own that and very much love it. It doesn't replace Talisman for me though. They both have a different feel. Talisman is more wacky and crazy. Relic is a touch more serious, and has some really nice refinements. Talisman is one of those games that I actually get a craving to play. And when the craving comes it needs to be plain ol' Talisman...not Relic. Talisman is one of the few games that I know inside and out. When it's time for adventuring in a fantasy world....I gotta break out Talisman.

Goddamn it...now I want to play Talisman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, HiveGod, Columbob, engineer Al

More
21 Apr 2016 13:40 #226217 by HiveGod
BRACE FOR AWESOMENESS

More
21 Apr 2016 15:17 #226233 by san il defanso
I spent a long time kind of understating my love for Talisman. Part of this was because my crowd in Kansas City didn't altogether "get" the game. It had something of a reputation as an overlong luckfest, and while I had a core of people who were into it, I never really thought to try it among a lot of new people.

But since I've gotten involved with a new group down in Texas, I've really rediscovered just how approachable it really is. It does require a certain understanding as to what kind of game it is, and that kind of game is not one that squares with a lot of hobby trends these days. But it does strike at how people play games. It speaks the language of game fluently, to the point that it's almost instantly understandable to everyone. People GET roll-and-move, and the binary choice every turn of "which risk do you want to take" really makes sense for people. That also means it can be expanded in just about any direction (and it has been), and it can be adapted to what your group likes.

And I've written this elsewhere, but the luck in Talisman makes it feel like the game exists outside of you. It doesn't care if you have to face a demon two turns in, because that's just the way things are in Talisman. We are guests in its world, rather than the game being something we master. I think that actually creates more world-building than any amount of flavor text or flashy illustrations out there.

I've not played Relic, but I think there is merit to a stripped-down Talisman. That said, part of its appeal is its sprawl. We played a seven-player, six-hour game with four expansions a month or so ago, and we had a wonderful time. It was a totally unreasonable game, and it was all the better for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiveGod, Columbob, wadenels

More
21 Apr 2016 16:18 #226237 by Black Barney
i still have never played Talisman but my uncle is a big fan and he sits on all these boards and stuff.

I don't understand why a digital version hasn't come to consoles yet. it seems like this game is super popular.

More
21 Apr 2016 16:37 #226239 by san il defanso

Black Barney wrote: i still have never played Talisman but my uncle is a big fan and he sits on all these boards and stuff.

I don't understand why a digital version hasn't come to consoles yet. it seems like this game is super popular.

There's one on Steam and another on iOS. The steam one is fine, but part of the fun of Talisman is the social element, which is quite pronounced in this game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Apr 2016 16:44 #226240 by Black Barney
yeah, digital doesn't always translate the fun. Ever played Catan digitally? OMG it's so dry and cold.

More
21 Apr 2016 18:06 #226242 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I found it rough playing through the steam one even though the implementation is solid.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds