October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dark Souls boardgame kickstarter

More
26 Apr 2016 19:24 #226559 by Gary Sax
Haha, god, that would be fantastic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2016 05:39 #226580 by Chaz
But totally in keeping with the tradition of Fashion Souls.

More
27 Apr 2016 11:30 - 27 Apr 2016 11:32 #226602 by Gary Sax
I don't like too many of the extra bosses (especially for that price, ouch), they included a lot of the ones I liked the best already in the base set---Pursuer, Smaug and Ornstein. Only one is the Last Giant, I love the giant designs from DS2. The rest are mainly dragons which generally aren't my favorites.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2016 11:32 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
27 Apr 2016 11:42 #226603 by Michael Barnes
I really like the Gaping Dragon...

But the Giant Rotted Greatwood might be my new favorite DS boss.

More
27 Apr 2016 12:12 #226606 by hotseatgames
$41 for an extra boss encounter is a tough pill to swallow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 May 2016 11:18 #226833 by hotseatgames
The economics of this game are getting crazy.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged...d-game/posts/1564977

They have the current stretch goal at 100 pounds, which is twice the cost of the actual base game. The stretch is a mini-boss invader. The other part of the stretch goal is unlocking an ADD-ON! Please let me unlock the privilege of giving you more money? It just seems crazy. I realize that they now have to make a LOT of copies of each of these figures, but I still feel like their stretch goals are way too expensive.

More
03 May 2016 11:39 #226835 by Gary Sax
Totally... this is definitely one where the "deal," such as it is, is the base order not those sky high add-ons.

More
03 May 2016 12:14 #226842 by Michael Barnes
Speaking as one of the investors in this project, I have actually helped along with the Dark Souls Board Game community to bring you the option to give Steamforged Games more of your money.

I think the invaders are all in one big expansion and the SGs now are adding to that expansion. I don't think it's just one invader for 100 pounds or whatever it is.

They are really cutting it close to the quick...if they don't start producing some examples of play, more solid concepts and so forth they risk a big exodus of backers. There are so many red flags about this, it's like they are waving red flags from the sunroof of a staff car festooned with red flags driving down a street lined with billowing red flags while onlookers wave red flags at them.

We should play Kickstarter fail bingo with this one. Pick three of these and lay down your bets:

- Game ships six months late
- Game ships a year late
- Game ships more than a year late
- Game never ships
- Game ships to retailers before backers
- Game sucks/is disappointing
- Miniatures are riddled with production issues
- Cardboard is riddled with production issues
- Rules are riddled with errors and misprints
- Cards are riddled with errors and misprints
- Game arrives with a bad smell
- Game arrives with mold
- Tom Vasel gives the game a "meh" review
- Michael Barnes never reviews it
- Class action lawsuit
- Steamforged Games goes out of business
- Steamforged Games goes out of business under suspicious circumstances
- "Name your own fail"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
03 May 2016 12:52 #226849 by hotseatgames
It is actually one invader for 100 pounds. They are working their way through the Invaders expansion. Previous invaders were set at 50 pound intervals.

They have been promising a gameplay video for a long time. I agree with you, I won't be surprised if many backers... back out.

More
03 May 2016 12:57 #226851 by Frohike
My cynical side says they're pushing the video as late as they can to buffer the inevitable backer hemorrhage with as much blind pledges as possible. I'm very close to pulling the chute on this one.

More
03 May 2016 17:10 #226863 by Michael Barnes
Speaking as a member of the community of investors in this project that has made this all possible with my good faith investment, I think I'm bailing on buying any of the add-ons. I'll probably still get the base set since there is value there with all of the SGs. They are pretty overpriced and I think waiting on retail on those is smart...especially if this thing just completely shits the bed. I might be tempted if they add Artorias/Sif or something, but without a firmer grasp of what I'm actually buying...I don't feel confident in spending another $200 on it. I'd rather buy the base and then put that $200 back over on the Cthulhu Wars expansions that I still haven't actually paid for.

Right now, I feel like their marketing for this game is almost strictly based on "LOOK HOW MUCH OF THE ENTRIES ON THE DARK SOULS WIKI WE ARE INCLUDING!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
03 May 2016 17:16 #226866 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I was tempted last week but nothing more about gameplay no sale at this point.

More
03 May 2016 17:25 #226867 by Michael Barnes
But myself along with the other entrepreneurs taking part in this enterprise need you to contribute so that we can unlock more SGs.

More
03 May 2016 18:18 #226870 by Frohike
They're all over those AMAs too, which is a great way to promote a campaign but kind of a terrible way to actually give people a coherent idea of how the game plays. You can list features and ideas until the cows come home. The proof lies in actually seeing it come together into a game, which happens when there is something on the table to play rather than art assets from the video game IP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 May 2016 19:25 #226873 by Michael Barnes
Ah yes, "Ask Me Anything", full and total transparency.

So why aren't these questions being asked...instead of empty-headed fan bullshit about things that ultimately won't matter:

- When did development on this game begin? Before or after a licensing deal with From?
- How far along is the game in the development process? Is a playable prototype/beta available to playtesters? Are there playtesters?
- Why are critical assets- principally a rulebook or summary of rules- not being made available this far into what is already a very successful campaign?
- What is not currently cleared with From's licensing office/IP stakeholders?
- What is Bandai Namco's relationship with Steamforged Games and how will it impact this product?
- What is the size of the Steamforged Games project team working on this title?
- What deliverables are expected from this team and on what timeline?
- Have the proper arrangements been made with the printers, manufacturers and shipping agents to accommodate a higher than expected volume?

I seriously am backing this at this point because it seems like such a crap shoot...and if it tanks, I want to be able to say I was there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.970 seconds