October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

More
26 May 2016 13:26 #228233 by Egg Shen
Just a heads up for anyone interested...Amazon currently has the game for $114 shipped.

www.amazon.com/Warhammer-Quest-wq-01-60-...er+quest+silver+toer

That's a few bucks cheaper than I was able to find it at. I'm glad that easy to get the game at a discount so soon after launch. Still, I'm bummed about being excited to get a deal on a boardgame that still costs more than $100.

I've got my set and I think I'm going to put the minis together tomorrow. I just put all of the minis for Assassinorium together the other day and that took me a solid 4 hours. I'm a complete minis amateur so I was being REALLY slow and careful not to make any mistakes. I must say they came out pretty damn good and the quality/detail of the models are so much better than what I'm used to seeing in boardgames. I'm also pretty tempted to paint them, but I think I might start on something small like Specter Ops or Runebound 3rd Edition instead. I can't wait to play Silver Tower though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2016 23:21 #228351 by Colorcrayons
I found someone who was Mr. Grumpy-gills about the game after playing it once. He offered it to me for $50 and the models weren't even fully assembled. Was missing one goblin. That was my right price. I bought it 3 days ago.

Assembled it the same day. Finished painting the heroes and once of each baddie. Played the game today with my adopted son and daughter (8 & 10, respectively).

Male spawn of chaos was entranced by the painted models, both were entranced by the explanation of the background (making it as PG as possible. They aren't quite ready for the full Realms of Chaos explanation) but they really dug it.

What struck me most was seeing their reactions. You know, that first time you picked up a copy of rogue trader or the realms of chaos and the style just kind of struck you with mouth wide open? Their reaction was similar. It was a treat to see them just go "whoah...!" at the explanations as they looked at the models and art. Kind of proud to see both appreciate stuff that is soo off the wall when they love pokemon, monster high, disney infinity and other assorted mass market rubbish. Their experience has been broadened and they want more. Hard to describe seeing kids just become awestruck by a story that you tell them. One of which has adhd so keeping his attention is difficult at the best of times. Not so this day. Rapt attention.

That alone folks would have been worth the full $150 right there.

But they also had a lot of fun, and a lot of excitement as they played different characters in a few games. They really liked how the dungeon dissapeared behind them and added a lot of awe to their reactions. They locked up a couple times when they weren't sure about what to do, but some gentle direction in the form of roleplaying (think dungeon master from the d&d cartoon) and a old wizard model randomly showing up on the board like fizban in dragonlance helped guide them and continue to feel immersed in the game.

They wouldn't shut up to my gf about the game. And now they look at my other dungeon crawls and want more.

Parenting. I'm hoping I'm doing it right. Sometimes you really wonder if youre fucking your kids up, and sometimes you know that you're sending them on the right path by invigorating their sense of wonder and creative thinking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Kailes, grimnir, Columbob, Brewmiester, Frohike, Sevej, DukeofChutney

More
29 May 2016 00:35 #228353 by Gary Sax
I'm not having kids but that post warms my fucking heart on a really fundamental level, colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grimnir

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds