October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk DUNGEON CRAWLERS

More
20 May 2016 17:35 #227891 by Shellhead
Although Mansions of Madness has some of the superficial trappings of a dungeon crawl, the base game has more in common with Robo Rally. It's a race with checkpoints and hazards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2016 23:57 #227902 by hotseatgames
I just completed the tutorial quest of the Road to Legend app for Descent 2.0. I only have the base set. It is disappointing that there is no support in the app for the conversion kit. Hopefully they add that in the future; if I were to buy stuff for Descent 2, that would be my first purchase since I have all the 1st edition stuff, except for Sea of Blood, which no one seemed to care about.

Anyway, I really liked how it worked, and it was very enjoyable. I could totally see my friends and I playing this, and even playing it solo. I look forward to checking out the free campaign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
21 May 2016 12:26 #227906 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Let's Talk DUNGEON CRAWLERS
All this talk of Dungeon Crawlers reminded me that my Heroquest Elf is in dire need of an apothecary. In his last campaign he lost a hand in a bloody battle with a Chaos Warrior. Does anyone know a skilled miniature apothecary who might be able to heal him by attaching a new hand, hook, or arm? We need to take care of our veterans...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
21 May 2016 13:18 #227907 by Michael Barnes
I did the RTL tutorial last night too, two characters solo.

It made me realize something significant. Almost all of my angst about Descent (and Imperial Assault for that matter) is tied to the Overlord junk.

I thought it felt pretty good overall, the prompts gave a good sense of story and purpose. The monster activations are simple but they can get tricky with the surges because they triage on a specific schedule for each monster type.

It was pretty quick to play and it didn't feel as explicitly gamey and sluggish like Descent (at least 1st edition) usually does.

One thing I do not like is how there's no log or go back button in case you miss something or make a mistake. That seems like a huge oversight. It also seems like the app could track more, like HPs and stamina points

Definitely a positive impression...having the game and playing with it, it makes more sense than when I tried it without the game in front of me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, stoic

More
21 May 2016 15:06 #227912 by Mantidman

stoic wrote: All this talk of Dungeon Crawlers reminded me that my Heroquest Elf is in dire need of an apothecary. In his last campaign he lost a hand in a bloody battle with a Chaos Warrior. Does anyone know a skilled miniature apothecary who might be able to heal him by attaching a new hand, hook, or arm? We need to take care of our veterans...

Good afternoon,
I have extra hooks, hands, and arms, but if you would like a
complete replacement, I have a Heroquest Elf that I could send your way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, stoic

More
21 May 2016 16:53 - 21 May 2016 16:55 #227914 by stoic

Mantidman wrote:

stoic wrote: All this talk of Dungeon Crawlers reminded me that my Heroquest Elf is in dire need of an apothecary. In his last campaign he lost a hand in a bloody battle with a Chaos Warrior. Does anyone know a skilled miniature apothecary who might be able to heal him by attaching a new hand, hook, or arm? We need to take care of our veterans...

Good afternoon,
I have extra hooks, hands, and arms, but if you would like a
complete replacement, I have a Heroquest Elf that I could send your way.

That's a very kind offer. My copy of Heroquest was "thrifted" so I'd always assumed that the Elf had lost his hand in combat with a Chaos Warrior.

But, looking into this further, glancing at ancient scrolls and tomes stolen from the Dragon Lord's library, there could be another backstory that I hadn't considered until after I searched "elf with no hand" on Google.

Could this board game's previous owner have possessed a real sense of humor or a zeal for Tolkien literature, The Silmarillion? I think so--and now, I believe that this elf's hand was intentionally severed--he lost his hand because he was transformed into the famous elf without a right-hand: Maedhros.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maedhros
tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Maedhros

** Image by Jenny Dolfen

I'll never know for sure how he lost his hand, but, now the decision to heal this elf's hand becomes all the more difficult.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 May 2016 16:55 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, ChristopherMD, Mr. White, Frohike, birdman37, Varys

More
21 May 2016 20:28 #227918 by Mr. White
The following page has decided it. Dungeon Saga is for sure the way to go for me. Not only could it be good in its own right, but the link below contains pdfs to the AHQ rules. If i don't like DS...I use all the bits and play AHQ. I may need to make slight modifications to the AHQ maps as the DS tiles are a little different, but it'll be easy to do. Outside of that, most of the bits between the two games are the same. AHQ even has rules for furniture (assuming HQ at the time).

I'm _really_ stoked now.

the-lost-and-the-damned.664610.n2.nabble...-book-td7366432.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, stoic

More
22 May 2016 09:22 #227923 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic Let's Talk DUNGEON CRAWLERS
Mr W may buy a game. My interest is piqued. Now would someone please post a buying guide to the Dungeon Saga game?

More
22 May 2016 16:10 - 22 May 2016 20:09 #227933 by stoic
Anyone looked at this? Dungeon Crawl? It's a print-and-play dungeon crawler. It's $15 bucks for the pdf and game system.

dcblog.smackwell.com/

Someone did some videos, but, they don't show much gameplay--I guess they didn't want to give too much away about the ruleset.

Last edit: 22 May 2016 20:09 by stoic.

More
22 May 2016 19:52 #227936 by drewcula
Late to the thread. Apologies F:ATties.
I love me some dungeon crawling!
Similiar to a few postings already, here are my two cents.

1) HEROQUEST
Wanna play 'Against the Ogre Horde,' or 'Wizards of Morcar?' Come on over. Once we finish those campaigns, I'll break out the Elf and Barbarian quests packs.
I FUCKING LOVE HEROQUEST.

2) ADVANCED HEROQUEST
GW didn't turn up the difficulty a notch, they turned it off the chart. I'm a big fan of the rules, but not the value of the main game or it's sole expansion. I bought my copy back in the day for retail, and I was super bummed about the lack of miniature variety. Heroes and henchmen were awesome, but a bunch of skaven? Really? The expansion is just an insulting rip off.

3) DUNGEON SAGA
It's a 2016 "Goldilocks porridge" for Mr. White. Variety of HQ, not as lethal as AHQ. I think I'm the Mantic fanboy on F:AT, so you should certainly take my opinion with a grain of salt. Good gaming value, and even better if you were a KS supporter. I was, and I'm pleased though not without complaint:
- The rules are fine, but the rule book was an initial embarrassment of typos. Issued with an errata sheet, it was easy to fix - just a disappointment.
- Tiles may work for some, but not Drewcula. I like my stuff on a singular board [LIKE HEROQUEST].
- The graphics are weak IMO: Card icons/emblems are too similar and drab as hell, and character illustrations are amateurish. A shame really, because the cover illustration is fantastic.
- Minis are on custom dungeon bases. That's neat, but if you wanted to cross over to Kings of War - you'll need to rebase. A lost opportunity for "added value."
- Custom faces on the dice would have been cool.
On the positive:
+ Every critter from HQ has an analogue. If you want to try your hand at HQ with DS rules, have at it!
+ Combat is far more engaging than HQ. That's a pun.
+ Packaging into a book cover/jacket is clever and handsome.
+ There are a lot of unique hero classes beyond your classic four.
+ The furniture is totally awesome.

4) CLAUSTROPHOBIA
Barnes is totally responsible for my purchase. NOHIGHSCORES. I dig my Redeemer. A lot. I also dig that some Holy Rollers on BGG didn't care for it because they believe there is only ONE Redeemer. I still haven't cracked open the second expansion, but I'll get to it eventually.

5) GEARS OF WAR
It's fine.

6) SUPER DUNGEON EXPLORE
Box of lies.

7) MANSIONS OF MADNESS
FFG cocked up the exploration portion. Need to give it another shot with Call of the Wild (which, ironically - places it entirely outside of Mansions).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White, Columbob, hotseatgames, Frohike, Egg Shen, stoic

More
22 May 2016 19:58 #227937 by stoic
Hi Drewcula,

How does the base box of Dungeon Saga play by itself? If you weren't in on the Kickstarter and don't have the other expansions for it, is it still good? Or, do you need the expansions to make it complete for game play?

More
22 May 2016 20:20 #227938 by drewcula
DS out of the box (rather, slip case) is good. $80 MSRP, but I would think you can buy it someplace cheaper.

The best parallel I can make is to the HeroQuest Game System box: you get a little bit of everything. HeroQuest had 15 quests in box, DS has 8 adventures. If you consider the optional rules in the back, you can tack on a 7 adventure "campaign."

If you finish and want more orcs, or undead - buy the associated expansion (akin to Kellar's Keep or Return of the Witch Lord). HQ's first two expansions had 10 quests each, DS is about 6 a piece.

DS also has three other expansions, but I may be getting confused about release schedules...

The Adventurer's Companion is yet another expansion, this time dealing with a lot of optional rules. None of it is necessary to enjoy DS. But considering Mr. White's intentions - he'll want it. I'd consider the AC a mechanism to develop your DS games into a "lite" Advanced HeroQuest.

All of this mentioned, the individual dungeon tiles drive me crazy. Mantic offers plastic clips to keep everything together, but they're better in theory than practice. I set the stuff up on a rubber mat. Claustrophobia gets a pass because those tiles are the size of a dinner plate.

Lastly, the mini bases. Man... The bases are just too damn big.

I hope that helps answer your question. If I'm missing the mark, keep asking. I've had two glasses of red, and it's going directly to my noggin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Mr. White, stoic

More
22 May 2016 21:08 - 22 May 2016 22:16 #227940 by drewcula
Yep. I already screwed up. Too much wine...

DS out of the box is actually all about the undead. Your big bad is a Necromancer, though along the way you'll encounter another three "boss" characters. Other minis to round out the kit include; skeleton archers & warriors, zombies and armored zombies, ghosts, dwarf revenants and some cool looking zombie trolls.

HQ had 35 minis in the "game system" box.
DS has 26.

On the other hand, all of the 28 pieces of furniture in DS are plastic. Perhaps a little less charming than plastic/cardboard, but far more durable to drunk tirades.

The orcs are gonna come out as a separate expansion (not yet available). Retails expansions thus far include a set that kind of mimics 'Return of the Witch Lord' and another that introduces all new characters (demons and televangelists and shit).
Last edit: 22 May 2016 22:16 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, stoic

More
23 May 2016 10:46 #227959 by Egg Shen
So do you think Dungeon Saga is even worth tracking down if you have HeroQuest?

More
23 May 2016 12:05 #227962 by SuperflyPete
I shouldn't even add this...but I will.

About 2 years ago I came up with a sort-of-dungeon-crawl for use with Hirst Arts/Dwarven Forge terrain and any models you had lying around. Simple, fast, deadly. Basically, players take turns placing a single piece of terrain on the board, and it must be touching an existing piece; no blocking allowed. If there are secret doors available, players each receive an equal portion and place them without mentioning them.

After all terrain is placed, each player takes a turn placing furniture and/or treasure. Can't be within 10" of your spawn.

Play is simple: you take turns moving two of your models, or taking an actions (casting spells, searching for secret doors, searching furniture for treasure..). There's several classes of character and the model determines what it is (if it's got a bow, it's an archer, if it's got a sword, it's a soldier, etc) and there's also Heroes. Each race (of which there's 6, if recall) has a trait and each character class has a trait. There's a point system to allow team building.

Combat is a contested roll; you roll a die based on your character's attack power (D6, D8, D10, D12, D20) versus the enemy's. Winner kills the opponent's model, which is set aside. 4th level Necromancy can bring one back in, otherwise, it's toast for the balance of the game.

The object is to have the most treasures at the end of the game, making upgrading your wizard spells precarious.

I'll post a link if anyone has terrain and is interested. Basically, I made it because most existing dungeon crawls don't really work particularly well for using terrain - the sizes of the tiles/layout aren't conducive toward making 1:1 maps. So, I wanted to play a game with my kid, knowing I have enough terrain to cover perhaps a 6x8 foot table, probably more, but most DC games only use a very small fraction of that. Really, it was an excuse to build a giant, enthralling map and play something on it. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.688 seconds