October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk DUNGEON CRAWLERS

More
23 May 2016 15:11 #227970 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Let's Talk DUNGEON CRAWLERS
Here's another interesting dungeon crawling system for using the old stuff you already have. It's called Trapdoor. It's a D10 system. The PDF is presently free.

www.wargamevault.com/product/139366/Trapdoor

I also enjoyed reading over the author's blog where he developed and play tested his system. You get to see how it evolved. He also has a tutorial about his Trapdoor dungeon crawl system.

drumsdeep.blogspot.com/2015/02/trapdoor-...l-i-exploration.html

drumsdeep.blogspot.com/2015/02/trapdoor-tutorial-ii-melee.html

drumsdeep.blogspot.com/2015/03/trapdoor-...-ranged-attacks.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2016 20:57 #227982 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Let's Talk DUNGEON CRAWLERS
Ok, I think I find something I dislike about WHQTACG. It's way too much work to be solo-ed. The actions are fun, yes. Dice, good, always. Enemy movements? Good.

But the actual players action and the physical movements involved with it can be too much.

First, an action is like a laundry list. You do 2-4 steps. The rolling dice step can be very involving when dealing with multiple enemies ("oops, I'm diseased" may happen). Then you have to consider the conditions. And then you have to remember tapping the cards to mark that they've been used ("oops, it was empowered" may happen). And then your activation ends (but "oops, I'm bleeding" may happen).

Then the tapping. Like I said, you have to remember doing this at the end of your turn. Tapping when you first choose the action doesn't work since it makes it hard to follow the card's laundry list.

It's doing a great job simplifying enemy's tactical position & behavior, but now the player actions can feel like work sometimes...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
23 May 2016 21:49 #227984 by Tim Champlin
Is Thunderstone considered a dungeon crawl? I've been thinking about trying this one out. How does everyone like it?

More
23 May 2016 22:13 #227985 by Gary Sax

Sevej wrote: Ok, I think I find something I dislike about WHQTACG. It's way too much work to be solo-ed. The actions are fun, yes. Dice, good, always. Enemy movements? Good.

But the actual players action and the physical movements involved with it can be too much.

First, an action is like a laundry list. You do 2-4 steps. The rolling dice step can be very involving when dealing with multiple enemies ("oops, I'm diseased" may happen). Then you have to consider the conditions. And then you have to remember tapping the cards to mark that they've been used ("oops, it was empowered" may happen). And then your activation ends (but "oops, I'm bleeding" may happen).

Then the tapping. Like I said, you have to remember doing this at the end of your turn. Tapping when you first choose the action doesn't work since it makes it hard to follow the card's laundry list.

It's doing a great job simplifying enemy's tactical position & behavior, but now the player actions can feel like work sometimes...

Fields of Fire is this way but worse. But probably provides a better narrative.

More
24 May 2016 08:12 #227993 by Mr. White
Thanks for the feedback, Drewcula!

According to my Magic 8 ball, the outlook is good for me buying Dungeon Saga. Real good.

If I do so, it probably won't be until next summer though. I have a bunch of gaming arts and crafts projects I need to get under control before I bring on painting up a DS set. Also, I've got a good buddy with a copy that I'll get to test drive first.

More
24 May 2016 08:23 #227994 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic .
Egg!
Apologies for the late reply.
I'd say if you already own Heroquest, Dungeon Saga is unnecessary.
I put myself in an exceptional camp:
a) I f***ing love Heroquest
b) Dungeon Saga was developed with Heroquest specifically in mind
c) I like a lot of what Mantic is trying to do
d) The Kickstarter value for DS was hard (for me) to pass up

I have barely scratched what DS has to offer. I may feel differently after a while, but I suspect I'll always have a grudge about DS's graphic presentation. IMO, nothing will beat the layout and artwork of HQ. Still, the DS combat is a perfect enhancement of HQ: engagement and facing rules adds some much needed tactics. Game Mastering is still a portion of DS, but the Overlord is much more of a threat to the heroes, and that's a welcome adjustment. DS's Adventurer's Companion expansion has rules for solo play, but I haven't cracked it yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
24 May 2016 08:56 #227997 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic .
On the graphic design of DS...I too have a few beefs...

3) The card art doesn't seem all that great, but damn that font is small! Tiny!

2) The board tiles. These _really_ needed to have a border. Even a thin border around the edges would have gone a long way to give the dungeon a more polished look. Also, it would have prevented the mini bases from going right up to, if not over, the tile edge. IMO, it takes a bit away from feeling like one is 'inside' something if the minis are hanging off the sides.

1) Terrible player/character card art and layout. I will toss them all. Even for the pre-generated base characters. In their case I'll do one of two things Either A) simply re-write all their stats using the character sheets from the AC or b) simply make my own character sheets and re-write their stats. Again, I'm AHQ spoiled, but I like my dungeon crawls to have a bit more rpg feeling. No Trapper Keeper picture on the sheet. Just pencil and paper. Let the painted mini provide the visual.

More
24 May 2016 09:34 #228002 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic Let's Talk DUNGEON CRAWLERS
Those tiles are the only thing holding me back. They are so busy and there are some with the pattern going against the grid. I guess my perfect style would be somewhere between these tiles and the drab D&DAS tiles. Why do games choose dark over clean?

More
24 May 2016 09:44 - 24 May 2016 09:53 #228004 by Mr. White
Last edit: 24 May 2016 09:53 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
24 May 2016 09:55 #228005 by Shellhead

Tim Champlin wrote: Is Thunderstone considered a dungeon crawl? I've been thinking about trying this one out. How does everyone like it?

I hate Thunderstone. Tried both the original and the revised editions, and it's just a boring deckbuilder. A dungeon crawler should convey a sense of exploration, and Thunderstone utterly fails at that. And the deckbuilder mechanics are unable to support even the concept of an adventuring party. One turn, you might have a handful of gear and no characters. The following turn, you might have characters but no gear. Thunderstone sucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels, Tim Champlin

More
24 May 2016 10:45 #228010 by SuperflyPete

Tim Champlin wrote: Is Thunderstone considered a dungeon crawl? I've been thinking about trying this one out. How does everyone like it?

I'm not the biggest fan of deck builders, so maybe that's part, but I HATED it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim Champlin

More
24 May 2016 15:06 #228038 by Hex Sinister
Thunderstone is a poster child for multiplayer solo. You can play it in complete silence if you like. And it's about as far from a dungeon crawl as you can get. I won't say it's a terrible game but it's more like a foundation of another game that could have been a whole lot better.

More
25 May 2016 09:12 #228127 by Columbob

Colorcrayons wrote: I still say that the parker bros. Dungeons and Dragons fantasy adventure boardgame is the best. Its heroquest, more or less, but with a bonafide D&D setting instead of the hack knock off setting that GW and milton bradley threw together.
There are some oddities such as the rogue healing herself when she disables traps. But overall, a really good game that is super simple allowing you to just have fun instead of worrying about mechanical minutiae. Matt Drake's D&D Fantasy Adventure Boardgame review

That "hack Knock off setting" is none other than Warhammer's Old World and it's pretty great.

One thing that HeroQuest has over EVERY OTHER GAME mentioned in the entire thread: that cool furniture! No other game comes even close to that. Torture rack: check. Weapons rack: check. Book case: check. Treasure chests: check. Doors, both open and closed: check. Tables, sarcophagus, cabinets, arcane shit: it's ALL in there.

More
25 May 2016 09:24 #228130 by Columbob

hotseatgames wrote: I just completed the tutorial quest of the Road to Legend app for Descent 2.0. I only have the base set. It is disappointing that there is no support in the app for the conversion kit. Hopefully they add that in the future; if I were to buy stuff for Descent 2, that would be my first purchase since I have all the 1st edition stuff, except for Sea of Blood, which no one seemed to care about.

Dude, just add all the monster-hero collections to your stuff in the app. Who cares if you're using the old minis and the rules from the Kit instead of their new remade stuff? Just be aware that a few heroes and monsters aren't yet represented, and one of the latter boxes has a new monster type (crones or something).
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
25 May 2016 10:11 #228134 by hotseatgames

Columbob wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: I just completed the tutorial quest of the Road to Legend app for Descent 2.0. I only have the base set. It is disappointing that there is no support in the app for the conversion kit. Hopefully they add that in the future; if I were to buy stuff for Descent 2, that would be my first purchase since I have all the 1st edition stuff, except for Sea of Blood, which no one seemed to care about.

Dude, just add all the monster-hero collections to your stuff in the app. Who cares if you're using the old minis and the rules from the Kit instead of their new remade stuff? Just be aware that a few heroes and monsters aren't yet represented, and one of the latter boxes has a new monster type (crones or something).

I'll have to look at those to see what's in them; I've never really paid attention to that stuff.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds