October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Nobody is Playing A Game of Thrones Anymore

More
25 May 2016 13:34 #228157 by Shellhead
"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die." -- Cersei Lannister

A Game of Thrones is a popular and notorious show on HBO, with at least one more season on the way. There is also A Game of Thrones boardgame that was published by one of the more successful boardgame companies around. Normally, this combination of facts might suggest that people in our hobby would be playing a fair amount of the boardgame, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Why don't you play A Game of Thrones?

During my brief stint as a warehouse monkey at FFG in '03-'04, I used my 75% discount to pick up A Game of Thrones and the first expansion set. I have since played twice. It's nice-looking game, the rules work just fine, and the game is easy to teach. But nobody ever wants to play, not even me. It's long, and only playable by 3-6 players (counting the expansion), so it competes with many shorter games with a similar range of players.

I think the biggest problem is the level of focusin the game. In the books and on the show, the character interaction is the main focus of the show. The battles have a major impact on the plot, but this is primarily seen in terms of how the individual characters are affected. But the boardgame puts those military engagements at the center of the game, so playing the boardgame doesn't give players anything like the feeling of watching the show or reading the books. Compare that with the emphasis on individual characters and their agendas in Battlestar Galactica. The genius of the Spartacus boardgame was the focus on the noble houses instead of the individual gladiators, because before the uprising, the nobles were the only ones with meaningful choices to make.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2016 13:41 - 25 May 2016 13:42 #228158 by charlest
The four player version with the print on demand expansion is popular around here.

A Game Of Thrones Game which was multiplayer and used a system similar to Rebellion - sending Leaders on missions - would be HOT.
Last edit: 25 May 2016 13:42 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, Msample

More
25 May 2016 13:44 #228159 by jpat
I think it's probably length, more or less required (and high) player count (although the 2e version has a four-player POD version), and age (not being new). Also, while it's pretty easy for gamers to pick up--it's really a pretty lightweight design, particularly compared to many later FFG in-house designs--it's not the depth or length of game that many book or show fans want. Plus, there are just some more and less straightforward houses to play, and people have to know that going in. (Giving a new player Greyjoy, for example, is probably not a great idea.)

More
25 May 2016 14:31 #228161 by Columbob
How many games from 2003 see regular play anywhere?

At the local annual gaming event, I see it get played and I usually join a game if able. I loved the Feast for Crows PoD (4 players, adds objective cards which is another way to win), it was really much shorter than the 6 player all-in game, maybe a couple of hours tops.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 May 2016 14:38 #228162 by Shellhead

Columbob wrote: How many games from 2003 see regular play anywhere?

This is a fair question, but how many games from 2003 are based on a current hit show on HBO?

More
25 May 2016 14:40 #228164 by edulis
Shellhead-

I'd be happy to get together and play... I think we played this once. I have two or three other guys who would play. Let's do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
25 May 2016 14:43 #228165 by Mr. White
I played this game a few times and enjoyed it fine.

But like columbob asked, how many older games are getting played period? Just because there's a hit tv show doesn't translate to lots of boardgame playing. How many of you are playing some flavor of Walking Dead boardgame on a regular basis?

More
25 May 2016 15:02 #228167 by Shellhead
Edulis: count me in on Game of Thrones.

Mr. White: Supposedly the Walking Dead boardgame is pretty bad. A friend of mine picked it up, and while he won't admit that it's bad, he never advocates playing it. I don't think that the Game of Thrones boardgame is bad, but it falls short of capturing the source material.

More
25 May 2016 15:09 #228168 by Mr. White
Maybe, but maybe also the themes of the show are handled in many boardgames: backstabbing and treachery in a medieval setting...how many games are like that? Same with Walking Dead...even if you're a fan of the show...there's a good chance any one of the thousand zombie boardgames will be fine. You don't need an actual 'walking dead' boardgame.

Something like Star Wars does have some very specific trappings that aren't scratched in generic sci-fi games. X-wings, TIEs, lightsabers, etc. I'm not sure Game of Thrones has that same sort of necessary component that a Game of Thrones specific game is needed for. I mean, what would it have...people holding doors?

More
25 May 2016 15:51 #228170 by southernman
Great game and design and I loved playing it, but:
- too long for many gamers and/or fans of the show
- different combat system wasn't liked by all, nor the edgy diplomacy/alliances
- need six players unless you have the PoD expansion
- a lot of games 'under the bridge' since 2003 and 2011.

I can't get it played because I don't have enough people interested in it, haven't even got enough for the four player yet.
But I have recently played the AGoT card game second edition and, from a non-card gamer, it was pretty good plus can be played multi-player so perhaps that can be FFGs hook into the fans.

More
25 May 2016 16:16 #228171 by mads b.
Last year there was a weekly campaign tournament in Copenhagen, so people are stille playing it. I love the game, but I've played it so much that I would probably rather play something else if I had 5 hours. Starcraft, maybe. Or the card game which when played multiplayer feels like a "real" board game and gives a somewhat better feel for the characters of Westeros is not for the overarching grand strategy.

More
25 May 2016 16:19 #228172 by Legomancer
Played it once. Not interested in the show, didn't like the game.

More
25 May 2016 16:52 - 25 May 2016 16:52 #228176 by Grudunza
Played it once a couple years ago and really liked it. At the risk of using a well-worn TOS term (though I rarely see it any more), I thought it was elegant. Simpler in structure than I thought it would be, but with some really interesting dynamics to it.

I do still see it played at conventions, so I think it has endured better than most games from 2003. But I think it is also a little more long and complex (I don't think it is complex, but it seems like it is) than what would be more accessible for the general audience that likes the TV show.
Last edit: 25 May 2016 16:52 by Grudunza.

More
25 May 2016 16:54 #228177 by bfkiller
I've actually played it a few times in the past two years, but it was admittedly a shelf toad for a long time before that.

Never tried the 2nd edition.

More
25 May 2016 16:55 #228179 by southernman

mads b. wrote: Last year there was a weekly campaign tournament in Copenhagen, so people are stille playing it. I love the game, but I've played it so much ...

Stop upsetting me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds