October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Nobody is Playing A Game of Thrones Anymore

More
25 May 2016 16:59 #228181 by Black Barney
Is there a Traitor mechanic in this thing ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2016 17:32 #228182 by DukeofChutney

Black Barney wrote: Is there a Traitor mechanic in this thing ?

sort of.

It gets played quite a bit by people i know, or at least it was about a year ago when I went along to gaming groups more often. People who don't post on the internet tend to have less issue with playing older games.

I'd agree that it doesn't really deliver on the character drama of the show. The 6 player game is essentially the normal don't get me get her type wargame which there are a dime a dozen. The only thing its got going for it other than setting is the orders system. I agree that the four player PoD game is quite good though.

More
25 May 2016 17:40 #228183 by southernman

DukeofChutney wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Is there a Traitor mechanic in this thing ?

sort of.

Not the sort Barney was asking about - the only traitor is the typical Diplomacy type where you ally up to provide a bit of support only to break it at sometime, possibly very quickly ... much like the books.

More
25 May 2016 18:00 #228186 by jeb
There's no traitor mechanic, per se, but literally every player is a traitor every turn depending on how dumb/gullible you are. A Game For The Whole Family.®

I traded this away because I love my kids too much to totally wreck them in this game, and family gaming is about all I do. See also: anything with an auction mechanic, because holy shit do they get taken.

I will throw more light on the LCG though--that is a good time. It captures a lot of the interpersonal dynamics found in AGoT, and makes things tense because you aren't just killing some Lannister markers, you are killing a card called Jaime Lannister (THPOILERZ FOR A GAME I PLAYED IN 2014).
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, metalface13

More
25 May 2016 18:06 #228190 by wadenels

Shellhead wrote: ... but it falls short of capturing the source material.

That's what kills it for me. If the game was released under a different theme that made more sense I'd be more into it. As it is the game is a snapshot of a very specific time in the setting, that specific time isn't what makes the setting interesting, and there's criminally little of the intrigue and politicking that makes the books/show great. The board game is just a fighty game; games like Warrior Knights (either edition) or Medieval Conspiracy actually capture A Game of Thrones better than the game that carries the name.

If the idea of a game about the Battle of Hoth named "STAR WARS: THE BOARD GAME" leaves a bad taste in your mouth then you know how I feel about A Game of Thrones: The Board Game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718

More
25 May 2016 19:41 - 25 May 2016 20:01 #228195 by jay718
We played a 5p 1st edition game with a bit of expansion material two weeks ago and had a blast. At one point the Stark player brought most of their force down to the twins and got their asses handed to them as the Greyjoys snuck in the back and took Winterfell. Very thematic.

I love this game, but it's not easy to get five people together to play a game of this length. Wish it got to the table more often. Super tight design. I agree with Jeb about the LCG as well. That game rocks, but to get all that you can out of it, you really need a dedicated opponent who knows the game well/has a ton of cards.
Last edit: 25 May 2016 20:01 by jay718.

More
25 May 2016 19:54 #228197 by Sevej
The same way I don't play HIS. Too long, too many players, too heavy. To get the most out of the game it requires multiple play (too heavy), which is nearly impossible because it's too long and requires 5 or 6 players ideally (or so what I read).

I'd rather have a good Runewars bash.

More
25 May 2016 22:21 #228202 by JEM
I know somebody else at my regular group has a copy, and people expressed some interest in the idea of the shorter four player game so I think we might get to play it soon here.

More
25 May 2016 22:26 #228203 by Chapel
Huh, I average about 2-3 fulls games of GoT 2nd edition a year for the last several years. Still quite popular around here.

More
26 May 2016 15:24 #228237 by metalface13
I've only played it once, but would love to play again.

I think maybe in the TV show it's more about individual character stories, but in the books all those individual stories just paint the bigger picture. Yes, the game does seem to be a snapshot of a certain period in the books, but aren't Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords pretty heavy on the battles and warfare?

Maybe I'm a minority, but whenever I read/watch a book/series that features some kind of war like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars or Game of Thrones, I'm always interested in games that depicts that war at an operational level. Like what-if Stark and Tyrell joined forces, or how would the war have played out if Frodo took the ring to Gondor, etc.

I'm also quite interested in the LCG game, but it doesn't seem to get played much in Pittsburgh.

More
26 May 2016 15:45 #228238 by southernman
A note to all interested in the LCG, the 2nd edition has (apparently) been streamlined/updated (I never saw the 1st E) but it is also multiplayer now and it looks like it will be pretty mean if played with more than two.

More
26 May 2016 15:47 #228239 by Jexik
I've played it three times... 1st edition once, and the 2nd twice. It's a solid game, but I don't have it and rarely have the time and people to play it. I'm a big fan of the blind bidding for positions and the orders system (and pretty much any game that has people picking stuff at the same time secretly, from Race for the Galaxy to X-Wing). The combat is oddly Dungeon-Twisterish, but works pretty well. Aside from the map, it doesn't really evoke the setting at all. The mechanics do subtly evoke a bit of behind the scenes sneakiness and deception since everything is done simultaneously, and I'm sure players could do more negotiating if they want to. "I'll support you here if you don't Raid me..."

I've never played Runewars or TI, so I can't compare.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds