October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary co-op minis board game

More
14 Jul 2016 15:28 #230180 by SuperflyPete
So, it's a series of encounters where players play cards based on what they want to do, causing stress to others if they countermand the "leader", but basically, it's a series of encounters, then it kind of turns into a light skirmish game until the end of the encounter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2016 18:12 #230192 by StrayKnife

SuperflyTNT wrote: So, it's a series of encounters where players play cards based on what they want to do, causing stress to others if they countermand the "leader", but basically, it's a series of encounters, then it kind of turns into a light skirmish game until the end of the encounter?

...sorta, but I wouldn't really call it a skirmish. There is combat, of course, but it's all action based (the dice are used to boost your actions to perform better and be more efficient with your action). You're not tracking hit points for figures and rolling for defense, etc. it's more "defeat an enemy" or "knock an enemy down." It's first and foremost a survival game. You're scrambling to find buildings where you can board yourself up, scavenge for resources, and deal with whatever the scenario is (could be finding a missing girl, trying to convince the scientist to let you into the CDC while walkers surround the walls. etc.). The system was designed to be very open to accommodate all kinds of crazy and thematic scenarios.

The group dynamic really drives the drama, but it's mechanics-driven.

Ever play "The Grizzled?" That had a huge impact on me when I first played it, and inspired a few elements of the original design I had for this. I love the concept of "tough cooperation" where you definitely have to work together, but your road to success might look a lot different than the guy sitting next to you.

More
14 Jul 2016 19:56 #230197 by Sevej

Ska_baron wrote: Sevej - as a dabbler in game design (and specifically zombies), I feel like the great thing is everyone has their take on things. And this one is obviously going to flow with the IP, a constraint which the majority of other zombie games lack. So I feel like this take on leadership and the stress / group dynamics / personal vs. group goals fits perfectly with what I as a gamer would expect from a TWD game. Zooming it out to make it just about raiding for supplies as your travel an overland map from Atlanta to Alexandria could certainly be technically set in TWD, it likely would be harder to capture the personalities that are at the heart of the show's appeal.

It's certainly a good thing, despite my seemingly critical question. I wouldn't be surprised if the action/discard section of the cards are designed to be keyed with card type (normal/caution/aggressive) and somehow to the board situation. For example, an aggressive card is dangerous to be discarded when the board is full of zombies since its discard event is more dangerous when more zombies are around or in closer proximities to the survivor.

But there will be times when a player becomes deviant to the leader, not due to his strategy/tactics, but because his hand of cards say so. Of course this is perfectly fine as a game, but for me there's a disconnect here between me and the character. But this is only because I almost make my characters my own avatar.

I gotta agree with you though that the action/consequence thing is more fit on a zoomed out game. This is the sort of thing when you release/kill a known bad guy, but the consequence is not always clear, and the change to the party psyche may affect other things. For example if you kill the guy (action), the party will be more survival-inclined. So when one guy is trapped, they *will* leave him trapped (consequence). Unrelated events, but there is causality connection (the other option--if they're inclined more toward humanity--would be that they will save the guy, but one member of the party is permanently disabled--say, lose an arm or becoming mentally unstable).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, SuperflyPete

More
20 Jul 2016 18:56 #230530 by StrayKnife
Aaaaaaand we're funded!

Hoping to hit a few of these stretch goals. There are some really cool things planned if we can get this train moving a little faster ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
20 Jul 2016 19:23 #230532 by SuperflyPete
I want to back this Soooooo bad. No money, sadly.

More
26 Jul 2016 19:34 #230905 by StrayKnife
Well, they just restructured all the pledge levels, so now there's a totally affordable base game pledge.

But the $115 early bird slot gets BOTH expansions now :D

www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/the-wal...anctuary/description
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.572 seconds