October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG to release Mansions of Madness 2.0

More
25 Jul 2016 16:10 #230789 by Egg Shen
FFG looks to have dropped a little pre Gen Con teaser on Youtube for Mansions of Madness Second Edition.

Not sure how long the video will stay up...looks like it might have been released early or something. This looks like the boardgame version of Descent: The Road to Legend. This is 100% co-op and it will now be app driven. Very excited to see the return of this enjoyable but very flawed game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2016 16:13 #230790 by jay718

More
25 Jul 2016 16:16 #230791 by Grudunza
Also sold. I played the original a few times and it's okay, but this, in particular, should be great for me and my younger daughter to play. She LOVES Time Stories, and I can see where this would fill a similar space.

More
25 Jul 2016 16:21 #230792 by charlest
Oh hell yes. I posted about playing the original on these forums last year and loved it. I picked up a copy, but we never played it so I sold it off. Setup time was a big part of that.

I'm in.

More
25 Jul 2016 16:21 #230793 by Chaz
This is one of those times when I regret buying the first edition. I loved the idea, so I preordered it. Then the setup and admin were rough enough that I never really got it played much. I was interested to try the expansion that supposedly fixed it, then never got around to buying it.

I still wish the game had worked better. I kind of hate the idea of spending another $80 on the second edition to maybe get what I was hoping for with the first edition.

More
25 Jul 2016 16:26 #230794 by Egg Shen
AND it's officially announced on FFG's website.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/...ness-second-edition/

So it's um...coming out next week! That's pretty awesome. It will be available online and at Gen Con starting on August 4th. The game will feature a conversion kit for 1st edition owners. So first edition owners will have access to more investigators, monsters etc... Nothing wrong with that.

Well, I'm pretty sure I'll be dropping $80 or so on this next week lol.

More
25 Jul 2016 16:54 #230797 by Michael Barnes
Well I came in here to whoop, poo-poo and guffaw...and I'm walking out to file my review copy request at Miniature Market.

Definitely YES to this one with the app...this game is PRIME for that, what with those little puzzles and all.

Very, very interested. The first one was a debacle for a number of reasons, but it definitely had potential.

More
25 Jul 2016 18:10 #230805 by Gary Sax
I think debacle is way too strong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, bfkiller

More
25 Jul 2016 18:27 #230807 by R.P.Kraul
Great news. I've been eyeing the first edition for its minis and its intriguing premise, despite the flaws. I'm wondering whether it's still work picking up the first edition to use the components in the 2nd edition or if FFG will make those available in some capacity.

More
25 Jul 2016 18:34 #230808 by Shellhead
I still haven't recovered from my disappointment with the first edition. Wish I had sold it after the third play. It was a pretty package with some neat ideas, but the setup was a pain, the mistakes were numerous, and the gameplay was crap.

More
25 Jul 2016 18:42 #230809 by Michael Barnes
You would call it a debacle too if you say there for two hours while a drunk friend tried to set it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jay718, jpat

More
25 Jul 2016 19:21 #230810 by Jackwraith
I don't think "debacle" is too strong at all. The setup was onerous, the gameplay was tedious, and FFG's editing at the time was spectacularly bad. This is the game that they released an expansion for that was literally unplayable; as in, you couldn't set up the map as required by the scenario because two of the required rooms were printed on opposite sides of the same piece. It's the game that directly led to FFG expanding their production and editorial staff because of all the errors that slipped through in the rules, on the board, and in the cards.

I bought it when it came out like I bought all Arkham/Lovecraft stuff at the time and realized after two games that the ridiculous setup time didn't make up for the complete lack of rhythm to the gameplay. The party would get to a mildly tense decision in a hallway and- full stop. It's puzzle time. What was even worse was that the puzzles that weren't RNG-based were completely obvious. But even with that advantage, too many scenarios still made it ridiculously easy for the GM to make them virtually unwinnable. It was a nice idea, but the execution was atrocious. App-based could be its saving grace, but full co-op really isn't my thing these days, so I'll pass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Columbob, Colorcrayons

More
25 Jul 2016 19:34 #230812 by Michael Barnes
Exactly. This game was a borderline disaster from a copyediting perspective, and also because the game almost represented a sort of apotheosis of the FFG style. It was too much muchness. The rules were awful and referenced things that weren't even in the box. Remember the first FAQ? If I recall correctly, even IT ha typos and bad copyediting in it.

The puzzles were such a good idea, but like Jack said, they were pretty much a joke and they were total momentum-killers. "OK, everybody stop playing while I fiddle with these pieces!" An app could completely solve that, especially if it has built-in time constraints.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Colorcrayons

More
25 Jul 2016 19:41 - 25 Jul 2016 19:41 #230814 by Sevej
Hahaha $100. Lulz. No.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2016 19:41 by Sevej.

More
25 Jul 2016 20:03 #230816 by John Myers
An app for a horror game has so much potential. Everything from adding atmospheric sounds and video to sending each player secret messages to ratchet up the tension.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds