October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG to release Mansions of Madness 2.0

More
28 Jul 2016 10:48 #230992 by JEM
$85 is a lot, but still, I'm really tempted. Mansions of Madness was the game I always wanted, but I read too much about the problems with it. I went with Eldritch Horror which turned out to be a misery chore of a game. MoM 2nd edition might be the mystery/horror adventure game for me.*

*Shadows of Brimstone is my dungeon crawler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2016 11:10 #230995 by R.P.Kraul
I'm kind of surprised FFG is doing this, as I've heard that, compared to other titles, MOM is small beans.

More
28 Jul 2016 11:13 #230996 by R.P.Kraul

JEM wrote: $85 is a lot, but still, I'm really tempted. Mansions of Madness was the game I always wanted, but I read too much about the problems with it. I went with Eldritch Horror which turned out to be a misery chore of a game. MoM 2nd edition might be the mystery/horror adventure game for me.*

Not to derail, but what's your take on AH? Reason I ask is that I've seen some AH veterans criticize EH on the grounds that it's driven far too much by luck.

More
28 Jul 2016 11:18 #230997 by JEM
I haven't played Arkham. When I read up on it, saw there were like 20 boxes so it looked like a lot of commitment. There is someone who brings a copy every week to the meetup but he never seems to want to play it. I'm guessing it's cheaper than buying wrist-weights for the exercise or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Jul 2016 12:05 #231005 by jpat
This one's an exercise in unintended guilt for me. My wife got this and Call of the Wild for me in 2015 as a present. They've been sitting in shrink ever since because the numbers (stars?) have never been quite right and because, frankly, I was afraid (as afraid as one can be of a board game) of the setup and Keeper responsibilities, and because there was always "something else" to play. My wife knows about 2e, and we could probably get it, and I can't imagine that it's not better in pretty much every way. She'd be OK with that; I just feel bad it's been sitting there. I don't think I'd keep and open it just for the conversion; I suspect that, like Descent 2.0, there'll be enough stuff around soon enough not to warrant raiding it just for parts.

More
28 Jul 2016 14:18 #231024 by Grudunza

R.P.Kraul wrote:

JEM wrote: $85 is a lot, but still, I'm really tempted. Mansions of Madness was the game I always wanted, but I read too much about the problems with it. I went with Eldritch Horror which turned out to be a misery chore of a game. MoM 2nd edition might be the mystery/horror adventure game for me.*

Not to derail, but what's your take on AH? Reason I ask is that I've seen some AH veterans criticize EH on the grounds that it's driven far too much by luck.

That was my feeling after playing EH a few times. Things are streamlined so there are fewer random elements than in AH, but that means that when you get hosed by a bad roll in EH, it is a bigger kick in the nuts than in AH. I also prefer AH for several other reasons.

MoM is a very different kind of thing, though, so I am looking forward to getting this new version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM, R.P.Kraul

More
28 Jul 2016 14:43 #231028 by JEM
My inner justification demon is telling me that I can add a box of Brimstone somethings and get the free shipping from MM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
28 Jul 2016 15:13 #231030 by R.P.Kraul

JEM wrote: My inner justification demon is telling me that I can add a box of Brimstone somethings and get the free shipping from MM.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I still need the hydra and the giant guardian dude, whatever it's called.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
28 Jul 2016 15:20 #231032 by SuperflyPete
In my worthless opinion, EH blows it out of the water. The game is exceedingly dangerous for all the reasons notes above - bad die rolls can ruin you. That's how it should be - you're dealing with the Elder Gods, after all.

It's way less fiddly than AH, which is why I hate it. If I could just sit with Shellie and play that's one thing, but when you're the one that has to "run" AH, it sucks because it's a world of hell to remember to move all the monsters, how they move, etc.

EH is probably my favorite game right now. It just keeps getting better.

That said, if this was July 14, 2014 (prior to the car wreck) I'd have already pre-ordered it. I've always wanted it, and like JEM, the cries of "shitty" made me avoid it. I love the app-driven aspect.

More
28 Jul 2016 21:26 - 28 Jul 2016 21:28 #231053 by Dogmatix

Shellhead wrote: I still haven't recovered from my disappointment with the first edition. Wish I had sold it after the third play. It was a pretty package with some neat ideas, but the setup was a pain, the mistakes were numerous, and the gameplay was crap.

I thought Mansions was pretty good as a solo game; the Keeper was essentially robotic. As a multiplayer adversarial game, it was all kinds of awful, so the app approach is probably going to work wonders for this. Now I'd appreciate it if they'd come up with an app for Runebound 2nd ed. to implement some form of Skelly's solo rules for me :)
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 21:28 by Dogmatix.

More
02 Aug 2016 20:48 #231265 by Wetworks
First impressions over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun .

Apparently the mini's are a step down from Cmon and GW which makes it harder to justify the price.

More
02 Aug 2016 21:07 - 02 Aug 2016 21:08 #231267 by wadenels
This isn't my thing -- I'm still in the keeping board games and apps separate camp -- but from that review it sounds like FFG is really figuring out how to realize the potential of app integration.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 21:08 by wadenels.

More
02 Aug 2016 21:23 #231268 by Wetworks
Unboxing video from Drakkenstrike.

More
02 Aug 2016 21:37 #231269 by Gary Sax
One of Rab's more coherent reviews. Nice.

More
04 Aug 2016 13:42 #231401 by Chaz
I gave my wife the rundown on this, and she actually seems interested. Checked around, and the cheapest price I can get is $85 from the online shops, plus shipping. My FLGS gave me a $10 off $25+ coupon, but they're selling for MSRP.

Sucks because I'm sure we'd like it, but the price is just too high for a board game for me. It especially stings because there's less stuff in the box than there is in my first edition copy, but it's selling for quite a bit more. This new drastically higher price for FFG games has already cost them two big purchases from me. I can't wait until Asmodee owns literally everyone! I'll never have to buy a game again! :D

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds