October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The return of DOOM

More
28 Jul 2016 17:20 - 28 Jul 2016 17:21 #231040 by Jackwraith
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/...asion-is-imminent-1/

I'd like to be geeked about this, but I traded my copy of the original because it was essentially impossible for the Marines to win if the Invader player wasn't drunk, stoned, asleep, or otherwise mentally impaired. You'd like to think they've improved on the original design as they have with so many of their second editions, but it'll take a lot of convincing for me to throw down the implicit $100+ for this one.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 17:21 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, cdennett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2016 18:45 #231044 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic The return of DOOM
I was hoping they would have taken Gears of War and reskinned it for Doom. Oh well. Hopefully it's not available at GenCon so I don't have to be tempted to drop MSRP on it sight unseen...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Jul 2016 19:29 - 28 Jul 2016 19:41 #231045 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic The return of DOOM
I'll save you some more money...

Dudes in a Corridor/Dudes vs Aliens/whatever was perfected long ago:

Plus, having The Hulk on your shelf shows class and metal. A licensed IP game like Doom...nerd!!
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 19:41 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
28 Jul 2016 19:51 #231048 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic The return of DOOM
This is like a mash up between Descent & Gears of War system... I don't see anything really tempting, especially that the hand of cards make it difficult for a player to control multiple marines. I even like the minis in the original one better...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
28 Jul 2016 19:56 #231050 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic The return of DOOM
This is the game they should have made cooperative and used an app.

More
28 Jul 2016 21:05 - 28 Jul 2016 21:05 #231052 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic The return of DOOM
Hard to know if all the different mechanics will come together without sitting down and playing. It wasn't obvious Gears was amazing until I played it, I got it from a truly blowout clearance on a whim.

I must say that an overlord player can make the game better but for me it makes it far less likely to be played, so...
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 21:05 by Gary Sax.

More
28 Jul 2016 21:31 #231054 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic The return of DOOM

Mad Dog wrote: This is the game they should have made cooperative and used an app.

Yea, no kidding. That would have been a hit in my books; though it's hard to fault them for capitalizing on the kind of unexpected resurrection of the franchise [iD I have faith in; Bethesda, not quite so much, so the game turned out to be a surprise hit for me, even if the multiplayer sucked donkey nuts right out of the gate...]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jul 2016 08:32 #231059 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic The return of DOOM
I love the DOOM setting and it sounds like kinda fun to be the invader player. But I don't care for the computer game vibe. I don't want to be able to respawn or do glorykills or whatever. I want it to be a game about combat against demons, not a game about a game about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, wadenels

More
29 Jul 2016 12:28 - 29 Jul 2016 14:51 #231078 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic The return of DOOM

Sevej wrote: This is like a mash up between Descent & Gears of War system... I don't see anything really tempting, especially that the hand of cards make it difficult for a player to control multiple marines. I even like the minis in the original one better...

With a bit of Cosmic Encounter for the random activation mechanic - from what I read I hate it already. I've got the original (never found the expansion to buy) and while it wa pretty impossible for the marines to win it was such fun to play that the Alien player (usually me) would go easy on the Marines and they wouldn't worry too much about losing, after all it is Doom (although we have one person in the group who doesn't like losing a bit worse than the rest of us and he doesn't like playing it). Strangely I have more issues with Decsent 2.0 being unbalanced.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 14:51 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
29 Jul 2016 12:35 #231080 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic The return of DOOM
I'm genuinely surprised so many people hate playing overlord in these games. I was excited about the new MoM not because we don't have an overlord/keeper, but because it really minimizes setup and provides an interesting new way to randomize content. An app can do things like hit you with an unexpected event at random times or produce weird new AI behavior. Things a deck of cards can't.

Doom, however, was awesome. It was definitely too hard and we used house-rules, but I loved playing overlord. I'm excited about this and actually am glad not everything is getting the AP treatment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
29 Jul 2016 16:31 #231105 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic The return of DOOM
To say this was a complete surprise would be an understatement. I never thought this would be a game that would see another edition.

Pros

- From what I've read this doesn't appear to be a campaign game...which for me is a plus

- I don't mind 1 vs All games and I think they can be done well. If this proves to be balanced it could be great.

- I like the Doom setting.

Cons

- Not sure I'd ever choose to play this over say...Space Hulk.

- It will need to be drastically different from both Descent and Imperial Assault in order to carve out any sort of niche for itself.

- I agree with Mads in that I don't really want a game that is attempting to emulate a videogame...instead of just utilizing the setting for a boardgame.

So yeah...I'm kind of mixed on this one. I'm glad it's not using an app because I don't think all of these games need to be app driven. Like Charles mentioned....the reason the MoM app is exciting is because it cuts down on set up and it will randomizing everything. The app is being used to specifically deal with valid complaints and issues with the first edition. I don't think that an app was going to fix the issues with Doom. Some good old fashion game design tweaks and balancing is all that is needed.

I'd like to try this one at some point, but I don't think I'd buy it myself.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.642 seconds